Making Money for Servers

Royalty

The Aussie
We all know that the servers are running thanks to donations that the LO community make, right?

I know the devs aren't allowed to make any money out of the game.

However, my question to the devs is-
Are you allowed to make money by selling t-shirts/other merchandise/anything else, if the profit went to helping make new servers/keep the current one running?

Heartsong

i wonder what would happen to the dev team and the testers if they decided to take the game back?

This is both a good question and a very likely outcome. Fortunately, there is little to no reason for IAC to pursue them legally since the team did have permission from IA. Of course, IA no longer exists and so the question of whether or not they still have permission to run the game is a bit tenuous. Luckily, nobody cares enough about this game to do anything about it. If IAC feels that they can make money off of the IP, however, Bugsco will receive a quick cease and desist at which time we'll no longer be allowed to play the game.

Abandoned

Royalty, maybe you could go out of your way by selling t-shirts.
Increasing the amount of newbies playing in L:O and also funding the servers.

Royalty

The Aussie
Royalty, maybe you could go out of your way by selling t-shirts.
Increasing the amount of newbies playing in L:O and also funding the servers.
I'm not sure that selling shirts will go well in Aus. Maybe I can help design some graphics and someone else can see if there are any companies that can make shirts in America....

EDIT: Are you being mean???

Immanent

IF the forums are not part of L:OD property (I HOPE NOT) then would it be possible to put Ads on to it?

Another solution to this would be to create a separate website, but one where LOD players hang out and dump Ads onto that. Not very practical but hey

Abandoned

I'm not sure that selling shirts will go well in Aus. Maybe I can help design some graphics and someone else can see if there are any companies that can make shirts in America....

EDIT: Are you being mean???

No, just a suggestion.

Instead of wiping the whole IA site off the map, couldn't they have put on a little message saying:
"Fallen Empire: Legions has been moved to Legions: Overdrive. http://legionsoverdrive.com"

Royalty

The Aussie
IF the forums are not part of L:OD property (I HOPE NOT) then would it be possible to put Ads on to it?

Another solution to this would be to create a separate website, but one where LOD players hang out and dump Ads onto that. Not very practical but hey
That could work:):):):):):) I'm being serious

Also: Would it work if you made a website that no-one visited and got revenue from allowing people to advertise on the site which nobody visited?

No, just a suggestion.

Instead of wiping the whole IA site off the map, couldn't they have put on a little message saying:
"Fallen Empire: Legions has been moved to Legions: Overdrive. http://legionsoverdrive.com"
True very true. All the old F:EL players would be playing LO right now if they knew that it existed...

I say we all mass produce cookies and sell them for an outrageous price.

Or adopt a child named "Charity" and wander around asking for donations.

No, you can't make any profit from the game, even if its for funding.
Well, if you raise money and invest that in servers, there's no profit... So what are the details for the deal that's been made with IA? Are you not allowed to raise any money, or are you not allowed to have a profit?

Gheist

King of all Goblins
IAC still owns the IP, the devs are just allowed to work with it. There can't be any money made with it. This includes selling T-Shirts with the name or other parts of the IP on them by the way.

If you want to contribute, Royalty, donate. Selling bootleg shirts isn't a bright idea either (have a look at the older shirt thread about that).

Gheist

King of all Goblins
I honestly don't know. I doubt that Leejunz would be able to attract one at the moment though. There's a reason why there are no advertisements for the game yet.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I honestly don't know. I doubt that Leejunz would be able to attract one at the moment though. There's a reason why there are no advertisements for the game yet.

Yeah, if we get a massive influx of new players once the game is finished, surely someone out there would want to sponsor it.

GReaper

Grumpy
If we could do all this we probably would've done it already. We're currently reasonably happy with the current situation - as long as the cost of the servers is covered.

Also - adverts are a no. Chances are you guys would constantly click on them thinking you'd be helping out, but we'd probably end up with months worth of adverts being shown on the site only for us to receive nothing. It's not even worth going through the hassle.

DKnight556

So Leejunz super choclate chip cookies are out. :(
I was gonna make the legions symbol in icing. Well guess the world will never task true happiness