Legions: The Community

Do you feel your opinion impacts the development of Legions?

• Yes

Votes: 22 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Libra

people dont understand the scope of game development a lot goes into it, it takes a lot of time to make games even playable, why don't you just thank the devs for what they have done instead of pointing out things the devs have already pointed out if u read their blog pots then you'll see everything u said has been addressed and explained to us the community. you have three options help out, shut the *dance* up, or leave

Floks

I believe I spoke about player-hosted servers and some of the legality behind it on Legions Overlive and this thread...

So what's the hold up on player hosted servers? Are you not focusing on them at the moment? Are they not important enough to the community to work on? I mean I love the skybolt, but compared to having the ability to do something with this game, it's pretty worthless.

Well, this is the double-edged sword of knowing our plan...

It's easy to say that the community will be angry when you haven't actually kept us up to date with what you're currently working on. I get angry when I don't know what you're working on, because to be honest, I think the community deserves to see your priorities. What exactly do you feel is important? I feel that servers are important. It would seem that all the development team is interested in is adding game content. The community really wouldn't know for the most part, now would they?

On the note of the Skybolt. Well done, you changed the rocket launchers projectile speed, splash radius, and damage, then called it a new gun. Very impressive indeed. This took how long?

You can spread the word if you'd like...

The fact that advertising has been discouraged is my main problem with this. Free advertising, paid advertising, anytime someone has brought it up, it has been discouraged. Any advertisement is good advertisement. That's a pretty well known adage. Now it almost doesn't matter since there are so few community members left.

We all perform different tasks and have different levels of commitment based on our availability. There is no reason to 'rank' people on the team based on that because it's volunteer work and I'm not going to belittle the work they've done, small or large, in order to answer your question.

Why don't you grow the development team to include people that have the time, and want to help? I've merely listed the general way things are implemented.

I think you still have yet to prove that we are not listening to feedback. Your poll seems to suggest popular opinion is to the contrary.

ಠ_ಠ

As I mentioned above, members of the dev team serve different functions. Sometimes this means only one person can do a certain thing. GReaper can't model or texture objects, and Poponfu can't modify the server executable code. If we have someone capable of working on grenades who can't work on player-hosted servers, should we just make them sit around until we have the servers to be done? No. That's why we work on things in parallel, and even though a major feature might not come out before a minor one, it doesn't mean we've dedicated all of our resources toward the minor feature - we're just using the resources we have efficiently.

What exactly is the development teams current focus?

Legions is not an open-source game. Given the current license agreement, it never will be an open-source game. Allowing for client and server-side modding does not mean it's open source, so those things we can give to you.

You know an easy work around for this? Bring more people onto the development team. That way, you have more resources, and no legal issues. Everybody wins!

They're more than an option - they're going to happen. I never said that they are here now, I said we're working on them. That does not make me a hypocrite, it only makes me correct.

It's hypocritical to say you're working on them, when apparently the development team has been working on inventories and new loadouts. A new weapon, a few new maps, what else have you been working on?

You can advertise all you'd like. The dev team isn't spending any resources on it right now. Again, that does not make me a hypocrite.

So is advertising still discouraged, or would you be happy to see the game promoted more? I'm not sure which one the development team would like.

You claim that you don't know what's going on behind the scenes with the dev team, and that we're not transparent enough about what we're doing, and yet you claim you know exactly who does what and how much work they're doing. I see hypocrisy in that, not in what I've said. Either way, the dev team fluctuates in size and people contribute different amounts at different times. It's the nature of volunteer projects.

The whole point of this thread is to bring to light what the development team has been doing, versus what I think they should be working on. I know some of what is going on by talking to DeadGuy and various private testers. Even this is not transparent enough. Especially to the entire community. If the development team needs more help, take more people, there are plenty who are willing to assist you.

I did ask you before how we can better inform the community. We gave a clear plan of what was coming down the pipe in the State of the Empire Address, and the only blog posts after that have been in support of our progress on it. We've satisfied 3 of the 7 things we've outlined and are publicly testing the 4th, and we've already said we're working on the last 3. We aren't going to give you a timeline because, being a volunteer project, things get done earlier or later than expected.

I feel as if you aren't reading my posts. I didn't ask for timelines. I asked you to tell the community what you are currently working on. Not what you're planning to do, not what will be worked on in the next few days, but what are you working on right now?

This statement is also completely false. Client-side modifications were added with Legions: Overdrive and were not available on the IA version of Legions. This is one of two things we're doing to open things up to you all - the second being player-hosted dedicated servers, which we're currently working on.

So what you're saying is that we're able to modify the game and control our own servers? Well that certainly isn't the case. In fact the only thing I'm able to do is play new maps and test your changes. Oh, and implement simple scripts. You've implemented changes that no one but the development team has any real input on.

Half of what you say is blatantly untrue.
I claim that the development team has three main members, who implement most of the changes. Is this incorrect?

I claim that you've been working on in-game content rather than things that the community needs, such as maps, servers, and modding. Is this incorrect?

I claim that your team is both unwilling to give the community access to the game, and unwilling to bring in more people to work on the game. Is this incorrect?

I claim that our opinions don't matter. I find it hard to see anything wrong with this statement. In fact, even private testers have expressed frustration at not being listened to. If the development team isn't listening to them, then who are they listening to? No one.

Floks

people dont understand the scope of game development a lot goes into it, it takes a lot of time to make games even playable, why don't you just thank the devs for what they have done instead of pointing out things the devs have already pointed out if u read their blog pots then you'll see everything u said has been addressed and explained to us the community. you have three options help out, shut the *dance* up, or leave
I would love to help out, in fact there seems to be an abundance of people willing to help, and yet they are no where to be seen in the development process. I truly believe a number of people would help develop legions if they were allowed to.

Edit: Which leaves me with two great options. Shut up or get out. Gotta love your posts.

Libra

look i understand where you are coming from but u are outside trying to look in, like i said people don't understand the process of game development it takes a lot to make the game even playable, it will take time to implement everything the players and devs want done in the game everything takes time the game IS A WORK IN PROGRESS be patient and things will get better

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Alright, this is becoming more 'temper tantrum' than actual discussion, so I'll lock it up here. BugsPray has responded to the OP's questions (and then some, imo), and the State of the Empire blog post details what's in store for the future of Legions: Overdrive.

I'm not a big fan of stifling conversation and arguments, but when it comes to the point where everything's just being repeated, the discussion won't go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.