Legions capping, skill and other videos

Abandoned

Because idiots who are too lazy to try making a video out for themselves think that he is a god, when in fact he is just a good player with good editing skills.

Annnnnnd has a good rig to record games with, store all those files in their hard-drive.

Disci

Old man
Annnnnnd has a good rig to record games with, store all those files in their hard-drive.
Frankly, your rig is pretty awful if you can't record at 20-30fps range. My laptop is shitty and that's what I get. Storing clips isn't the issue when you can compress them with programs like vdub.

Abandoned

Frankly, your rig is pretty awful if you can't record at 20-30fps range. My laptop is shitty and that's what I get. Storing clips isn't the issue when you can compress them with programs like vdub.

Well, that's a lie, I can run legions perfectly fine with 70fps ave.

I was actually trying to say by "store all those files" is recording constantly, every single second you are playing legions, and surely that would need a large harddrive (just plain, raw video footage)..

Disci

Old man
Yes, that is true. I never ment you would have that low fps. Overall speaking if people can't get enough fps in Legions they have a computer from stoneage.

Pure4Pwnge

Well, that's a lie, I can run legions perfectly fine with 70fps ave.

I was actually trying to say by "store all those files" is recording constantly, every single second you are playing legions, and surely that would need a large harddrive (just plain, raw video footage)..
Each clip, compressed to wmv is around 20 - 30 mb. Each game is around 25gb. If you clip constantly, you really don't need more than 100gb or so of free space. I have 700gb of free space on my 1tb external, but that's just because i'm always too lazy to clip.

phanakapan

Private Tester
i always clipped out good stuff after a session. whenever something i liked would happen i would just double tap the record key so i knew when i looked in the folder of video files, each one that wasnt 4gb would end with something good. there are a few programs that will clip out the video you want without compressing anything in a matter of seconds, so after a few maps it would take 5 minutes tops to clip out the good content, label it, and move it into a separate folder. not hard, not time consuming, no large harddrive required. i play on a 4 year old laptop with a 200gb HDD. With fraps on i typically get between 20-35 fps playing at 1280x800.

Those ground shots require more skill than long hope it hits MA's :)
in what way? it gets old listing to people incorrectly argue that long MAs are pure luck while half map ground shots are somehow not, when both are wholly dependent on the exact same factors. you are still attempting to hit someone at distance by guessing where they will be using their current trajectory. ground shots arguably require less "skill" because you can more easily track their trajectory as the terrain will likely dictate their path, and you have the added benefit of being able to do splash damage with shots that are close, but ultimately misses. every long shot (midair or ground) has an element of luck to it as you are trying to predict the decisions of another player, midairs just require more accuracy, and accuracy is a big part of "skill".

specifically, in relation to videos, it is less impressive to show long ground shots because they are simply much more commonplace. seeing a video of something that happens multiple times every map isn't as enjoyable (to me) as seeing something that happens more rarely. Imagine if sports highlights showed random 3 yard runs in football, or a random midfield pass in soccer, or a single in baseball.

Pure4Pwnge

How large are each of your clips typically? And what program do you use to clip? Currently using sony vegas to clip, but i render the clip so the quality isn't as good as it could be.

Disci

Old man
In air there is this random movement/dodging which makes the shot pure luck. Ofcos you can learn to aim well enough to have the projectile as close as possible to the target but chances are that he might change his position dramaticaly during the time projectile reaches him, that you can't predict to be able to hit the target before it actually hits him. In Tribes it was a lot different where movement in the air was more limited and more predictable because you needed to use your jets to strafe left/right, while in Legions you don't. Long ground shots are no where near as random, since you can predict pretty where they are going cos of the terrain and it's all about timing and aim at that point.

Anyways, this wasn't a skill video which you think it was, there were clips which I'd have used in the skill vid but I was nowhere near to be able to finish recording and start editing phase, as you can see from the clips. I started all this "Palying Leetzjunz" serie out of boredom and it was just random games which I recorded and then took out the "highlights" and put 'em on a vid and upload on YouTube. So nothing special. Last, the 4th part, has generaly more enjoyable clips in it because I recorded a lot longer than for previous parts. Including some funny things which just happened to me, like pushing people off route with plasma so they kept missing the flag, blind pass to loc after route fuckup following own flag return, some pretty cool MA's, passes, last sec cap saves, etc. You know, the usual stuff I have always put in my vids. Don't threat it as a skill vid because it isn't, thank you.

phanakapan

Private Tester
The ability for a player to avoid a shot and the lowered probability of hitting as a result has nothing to do with the skill involved in predicting their most likely path. Every shot is about timing and aim based on this prediction. The only differences between ground and air shots are the fact that near misses on the ground can still do damage and there is a more visible means of predicting movement. I would argue that players actually have more means of avoiding direct shots on the ground because they can still use all the same micro adjustments in the air and use the terrain in unique ways to make their path unpredictable independent or in combination with their jets, though this advantage is offset by the ability to do splash damage with missed shots. I would also argue that players on the ground are often lazier about trying to avoid shots for whatever reason. It really makes no sense at all to say ground shots are skill while midairs are luck, since the only difference is the probability of getting a direct hit. Probability is fundamentally unrelated to the prediction and aiming aspects of the shot itself, which will always be based on determining the most likely path of your opponent.

The real argument is whether choosing to go for an MA over chaining or sniping is the right choice to begin with. In most cases it is not. Again, this is fundamentally a choice of tactics and is wholly unrelated to the skill involved in any specific shot. Further, just because something has increased probability does not make it impressive or worthy of inclusion in a video. In fact I would say the complete opposite is true. Who wants to see a bunch of high probability point blank ground shots on llamas, for example.

Mots0311

I would imagine a person carrying the flag isnt going to be doing a lot of ducking and dodging if they want to mainain speed and hit the right spot on the ground to continue their momentum. A timed rocket jump will send a player hurtling through the air and that player is planning on hitting another spot on the map or risk losing precious speed and momentum. That would make his movement a bit predictable since he is looking ahead for the right place to land and not necessarily just landing anywhere. I'd say 90% skill and 10% luck in long distance MAs that are well aimed, calculated shots.

Immanent

I would imagine a person carrying the flag isnt going to be doing a lot of ducking and dodging if they want to mainain speed and hit the right spot on the ground to continue their momentum.
That's exactly what you will be doing, if you are playing against a good sniper.

phanakapan

Private Tester
I would imagine a person carrying the flag isnt going to be doing a lot of ducking and dodging if they want to mainain speed and hit the right spot on the ground to continue their momentum.
This is so wrong. When I'm capping, I am constantly fluttering my jets up and down and strafing in random directions while in the air or are the ground. If you aren't you are chain/snipe bait. I'm still surprised by how little most cappers understand regarding what their chasers are expecting and how to counter it. nice pretty arcs will not work against a good d no matter how sneaky your route is or how fast you are going. you will cap at a much higher rate by slowing down and getting really spazzy in the air, making it impossible to get a nice steady bead on you.

Vox

The 1st cap started fine, you had good speed, then, you ruined it with overdrive. when you're going that fast dont use overdrive its a waste of health and it kills your speed. also double od caps arent going to do you good because the od makes you a weak target. otherwise the video was not bad.

Mots0311

This is so wrong. When I'm capping, I am constantly fluttering my jets up and down and strafing in random directions while in the air or are the ground. If you aren't you are chain/snipe bait. I'm still surprised by how little most cappers understand regarding what their chasers are expecting and how to counter it. nice pretty arcs will not work against a good d no matter how sneaky your route is or how fast you are going. you will cap at a much higher rate by slowing down and getting really spazzy in the air, making it impossible to get a nice steady bead on you.

Interesting point, explains why I usually make it midfield with flag before being scattered all over the place.