laser rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.

moronval

Private Tester
I think the best solution for the sniper rifle would be to revert to the old one, but with the inclusion of one significant difference: it would be impossible to charge the rifle while touching the ground. This would make o-sniping virtually impossible while forcing snipers to adapt to the move-and-shoot paradigm.

Finally someone with a solution to our problems

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
while this would deal with the O sniping issue, part of what all the weapons should be good for is beginning players. If a beginning player tries to learn with Moaty's version of an LR, they would be driven away from that weapon if not the game, thinking everything is too hard. We want to expand the community. Also, would this LR work while skiing? if so, then all an o-sniper has to do is find a flat spot, hold right click and o snipe from there.

Moaty

while this would deal with the O sniping issue, part of what all the weapons should be good for is beginning players.
Firstly, Legions does have a steep learning curve - anybody who suggests elsewise would either be incorrect or duplicitous. The raider should be a beginner's first class, not the sniper. I think it's fair to have some classes more difficult than others, and I believe sniping should be one of those more difficult classes. Beginners shouldn't start the game, decide skiing is hard, and then sit at his/her base and snipe at the easiest enemies. That sort of gameplay isn't in the spirit of this game.

That said, you're correct. My implementation of the sniper might be too difficult, so I'll offer a couple of compromises: (1) lessen the necessary charging time and, appropriately, the rifle's damage; or (2) (and I would prefer this) allow the user to shoot the rifle partially charged for partial damage.

Also, would this LR work while skiing? if so, then all an o-sniper has to do is find a flat spot, hold right click and o snipe from there.
I agree that this would be problematic; so, as with the old sniper, it would be impossible to ski while charging the rifle.

Hoyz

(in continuation of my thread - I searched up sniper instead of laser... :S)
Anyways, my point of the thread was being that laser rifles are pretty useless in the game due to being nerfed too much. Plus, I was just asking if it was possible as I am still not used to the new rifle. :/
Prior to the change, I was one of the first few people who started charging with sniper rifles and shooting people in mid air. :D

Just a few points I like to make:
1. Increasing damage or rate of fire would be nice. But that increases the tendency to O snipe.

2. Having ammunition just makes O snipers want to camp in base more, but it also balances out with other classes as they too have limited ammo.

3. There are always campers in every game. Is there a need to complain? Those who are experienced would at least know how to use the A and D keys / strafing instead of just moving forwards in a straight line (too predictable).

However a few positives with the new laser rifle:
1. They do not deal damage over time as discussed in the thread.

2. They also decrease the number of O snipers but at the same time reduce the number of snipers = rifle is practically useless.

I'd suggest that if it is possible, distance would be a factor in the damage the rifle brings. It does make sense in many ways as laser would be stronger at the start rather than the end. Although creating it would be really difficult, I think that would solve the problem in many ways.

Or you could always switch back to bullets with gravity. xD
(works on BC2, very few successful campers)

I agree that this would be problematic; so, as with the old sniper, it would be impossible to ski while charging the rifle.

If you actually know how to use the curves on the ground well, you can somewhat ski for a distance required to avoid a blast.

Moaty

If you actually know how to use the curves on the ground well, you can somewhat ski for a distance required to avoid a blast.
That's not skiing, though - that's just letting your momentum carry you. Besides, it wouldn't be worthwhile to attempt to o-snipe like that.

Hoyz

That's not skiing, though - that's just letting your momentum carry you. Besides, it wouldn't be worthwhile to attempt to o-snipe like that.

Ye. But in order to carry out a momentum like so, you need heaps of energy consumption beforehand. But by the time you regained energy for the new rifle, you'd be on the ground. :S

Moaty

Ye. But in order to carry out a momentum like so, you need heaps of energy consumption beforehand. But by the time you regained energy for the new rifle, you'd be on the ground. :S
I'm referring to the old rifle. More specifically, this:

I think the best solution for the sniper rifle would be to revert to the old one, but with the inclusion of one significant difference: it would be impossible to charge the rifle while touching the ground. This would make o-sniping virtually impossible while forcing snipers to adapt to the move-and-shoot paradigm.

MJ1284

3. There are always campers in every game. Is there a need to complain? Those who are experienced would at least know how to use the A and D keys / strafing instead of just moving forwards in a straight line (too predictable).
If you're camping in a game where you can fly 200+ you're playing it wrong, end of story. Heck, you don't camp in Solitaire either :p

I'd suggest that if it is possible, distance would be a factor in the damage the rifle brings. It does make sense in many ways as laser would be stronger at the start rather than the end. Although creating it would be really difficult, I think that would solve the problem in many ways.
Already had that in last version.

Mhi200

I don't see what the problem with the current LR is... I found it easy enough to D snipe, chase snipe and duel with, while not being too strong.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] I'd suggest that if it is possible, distance would be a factor in the damage the rifle brings. It does make sense in many ways as laser would be stronger at the start rather than the end. Although creating it would be really difficult, I think that would solve the problem in many ways. [...]
You make me cry. And you've effectively killed your whole argument with that paragraph.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
All right, the old laser rifle was just too powerful. If fully charged, it could do a one-hit kill. There is no other weapon in the game that can do that, a direct hit with a rocket will only drop an outrider down 2/3. Also, only being able to charge the weapon in the air is still breakable. If, as I mentioned before, a camping o-sniper just hovers in a sniper tower, they are not touching the ground, how does the game make the distinction between that and flying? Also, this new old laser rifle moaty has recommended would make D-sniping a major issue. D-sniping is one of those things that the defense loves if it is done effectively because if every LO and capper comes into base with less health, they are easy to turn back. D-sniping is best done while stationary, so that incredible tactical asset would be thrown out, leaving only chase sniping, which is the most difficult.

We are really into this, aren't we? If I had a say in any of this, I would just have to suggest two different classes with the quick-click LR, and one with the charge-up LR. Quick-click being a more combat sniper, and charge-up being a more stationary or camper/ lethal sniper. Therefore, everybody would get what they want. As for the upgrades, I personally think we shouldn't have any. Especially not at launch. People just wanna play the LEGIONS. ♥

I just wanted to say that I just hated when I missed somebody with a laser when I aimed too far in front of them. What I want to happen, is that the laser should actually do danamge if somebody passes through it. The laser should inflict damage not only when you fire it at somebody, but like a second afterwards just in case you miss that person. Not full damage as you would hit somebody dead on, but at least half.

IMO, it would make sense. :cool:

Moaty

All right, the old laser rifle was just too powerful. If fully charged, it could do a one-hit kill. There is no other weapon in the game that can do that, a direct hit with a rocket will only drop an outrider down 2/3.
I think the GLS was capable of one hitting an outrider as well.

Also, only being able to charge the weapon in the air is still breakable. If, as I mentioned before, a camping o-sniper just hovers in a sniper tower, they are not touching the ground, how does the game make the distinction between that and flying?
This couldn't happen - as with the old sniper, it would be impossible to jet/ski while charging.

Also, this new old laser rifle moaty has recommended would make D-sniping a major issue. D-sniping is one of those things that the defense loves if it is done effectively because if every LO and capper comes into base with less health, they are easy to turn back. D-sniping is best done while stationary, so that incredible tactical asset would be thrown out, leaving only chase sniping, which is the most difficult.
D-sniping would still be possible, but it would require players to adapt. If this is still insufficient, I'd recommend Epiclight's suggestion: include the new rifle and a rifle that's capable of being charged.

I just wanted to say that I just hated when I missed somebody with a laser when I aimed too far in front of them. What I want to happen, is that the laser should actually do danamge if somebody passes through it. The laser should inflict damage not only when you fire it at somebody, but like a second afterwards just in case you miss that person. Not full damage as you would hit somebody dead on, but at least half.
The old sniper would deal partial damage if the enemy passed through the beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.