Increasing UI Customizability

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Devs, but Mabel in particular,

How is the placement of UI components handled in Legions? I ask because I'm interested in developing some alternate HUDs that aren't mere reskins, but in fact modify the location of the various HUD components on the screen.

In a perfect world, the positioning of the HUD would be defined in a script somewhere, instead of being hard-coded, but I recognize that you have to work with what you were given. If the former is the case, would you guys consider making it a user-modifiable script so that UI modders could play around with things like component positioning?

Much obliged for your time,

- Daph

Jazcash

Yeh this would be nice. There are a lot of HUDs out there, most of which haven't been reposted here. Regardless, there's likely to be a lot more to come, it would be nice if it all had some more support in terms of flexibility. Perhaps even an advanced option such as allowing the player to drag and place the elements where they desire would be awesome. But yeh, I'm all for scripts allowing UI modders to say, place elements according to a certain % on the screen or w/e.

Unknown

Private Tester
Not top priority right now, but definitely something that I would like to see in the future. A very small and minimalistic HUD with everything right at the top, or even just in one corner is right up my alley.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
HP and fuel meters surrounding the reticule... I'm in
Can be done already. You could modify this to get the bars even closer to your reticles. Top-down draining is possible too, though that requires scripting and effort.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Ah, but what about other HUD elements, like the timer or odometer? Sure, it's nice to have your bars at the center of the screen, but when you still need to flick your eyes up to see how fast you're going or check the time, it kinda defeats the purpose.

In my humble opinion, at least; I'm a big fan of context, and may like to know things like speed and time left a lot more often than other folks. =)

Propkid

Would it be possible to get a sort of dynamic HUD? eg. having the reticule to light up (like the jets in my avatar sent) instead of displaying the 'velocity warning? Oh and I can't say how much would I love an analogue speedometer in one of the bottom corners of the screen ;D

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
There's a great option in Quake, that allows the reticle to be coloured in as your health, so red for if you are close to death. A similar thing could also be done with energy.