How long does it take to get skilled?

Snow

I think I've played about 2 months accumulated during Fallen Empires and now Overdrive over the last week.... but I suck at everything.

I rarely ever nail anyone midair with a rocket and I have a horrible time trying to gain speed. There were only 3 times ironically lag caused me to NOT grab the flag and I managed to cross at lightning speed only to realize I couldn't cap anyway. :( (talk about facepalm, pretty embarrassing) There's a few times where I can accumulate speed, but just as quickly I do something stupid that instantly drops me down to 30. I'd say the my pathetic average speed is thus only about 70 to 100. I love this game and I'm actually good at other games, but this is frustrating. Although I have to say I had the same difficulty with skills with I guess you could say is a 2d variant of this game: Soldat. www.soldat.pl Soldat is a 2d sidescrolling multiplayer shooter where you control a little soldier with rocketboots. Despite the limitation to 2d, there are a ton of maneuvers and if you're good you can cross a map within seconds and cap like crazy (it has ctf as well). It took me 2 years to get good at Soldat. I've played it for 7 years now and though now I'm good at it, I'm still not a pro at it.

How long has it taken you guys? Were there any particular strategies that you used to learn? I'm wondering if I should play differently, since I'm always fighting against the controls (speed, maneuvering, etc).

stefygraff

Private Tester
Well, best advice is not to cap, stay put in defence and run with other team mates to return the flag as fast as possible! If you llama your slow, your only slowing down your team. Yes! this game is only about teamwork, if you have a rock solid team, skill counts less, no MA or fast grab is ever going to please you more than a good communication in-game!

How long does it take to get skilled?
Just play, understand the tricks in game, go look up for a guide or too, and you will be a better player!

Shade

Private Tester
It took me roughly 9 months with to get to the level I am now. However, most of my skill accumulated within a few weeks. In these few weeks, I was helped through tips and trick by a few nice players. With help, I could have gotten to my current level within a month. I’m starting a group called Helpers, which is a group dedicated to helping new or struggling players. If you’re interested, post your time zone, times you can practice, and what you need work on.

Here are a few useful links:
http://www.legionsplayers.com/videos/survival-guide/
http://www.legionsplayers.com/videos/quick-movement-tutorial/
http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/helpers.652/#post-12158

Roach

How long you've been playing the game doesn't matter so much as how you play it; do you spend your time practicing and dueling with friends, playing in competition with other highly competitive and skilled players, and overall analyzing yourself to see how you can improve your playing abilities, or do you spend all your time pubbing and get frustrated and quit when someone beats you at what you think you're good at? Improving your abilities depends almost entirely on your attitude while you play the game.

Check out shade's link for the "Helpers" thread, and hit me up if you ever want to do some practice dueling. I'm not perfect myself, but I can give you some tips that have helped me a lot.

Outlawl

Macabre
First, I'd say get the movement down. Watch a couple cap videos, try to replicate the routes in a server, rinse&repeat. Doing this in repetition builds your understanding of skiing and movement; what slopes to hit, how fast, what angle, and how to maneuverer. After getting this basic understanding of movement down you can start improv-ing your skiing all around.

Once you get the movement down, focus on dueling. Find a friend, of equal or slightly higher skill level, and duel with them in a server (sometimes it's best to join an empty server for this). Focus on one weapon at a time, once you feel good enough about your proficiency, switch to another, repeat. Keep in mind that you are going to lose so try to keep your cool and work through the frustration, it's the only way to get better.

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to message me!

Disci

Old man
Play more, think, play more, watch, think, play more, watch capping vids/better players playing(discord, mabeline, GReaper, Petrified etc.), think, join IRC, play PUG's, ask advices and play some more.

Disci

Old man
My advice seems weird, but do it.

Play a lot over a certain time period, and when you get really good, don't play as much.

If you don't play for 2-3 days, you will be really good, I don't know why, but it works.

But first, get to the skill level you want to play as, and work to it, then do my advice.

You brains process the information and new things you learned when they rest ie when you are sleeping. When I started to learn golf swings I was so bad during my first day on the range. I couldn't get the ball off the ground most of the time and aim was horibble. The next day I went back there are all the swings were really good and I was able to consentrate on practising my aim rather than just getting the ball in air. My golf mentor told me what had happend because it was quite amusing ofcos when I still remembered what happend the day before.

Pushi

I think I've played about 2 months accumulated during Fallen Empires and now Overdrive over the last week.... but I suck at everything.

I rarely ever nail anyone midair with a rocket and I have a horrible time trying to gain speed. There were only 3 times ironically lag caused me to NOT grab the flag and I managed to cross at lightning speed only to realize I couldn't cap anyway. :( (talk about facepalm, pretty embarrassing) There's a few times where I can accumulate speed, but just as quickly I do something stupid that instantly drops me down to 30. I'd say the my pathetic average speed is thus only about 70 to 100. I love this game and I'm actually good at other games, but this is frustrating. Although I have to say I had the same difficulty with skills with I guess you could say is a 2d variant of this game: Soldat. www.soldat.pl Soldat is a 2d sidescrolling multiplayer shooter where you control a little soldier with rocketboots. Despite the limitation to 2d, there are a ton of maneuvers and if you're good you can cross a map within seconds and cap like crazy (it has ctf as well). It took me 2 years to get good at Soldat. I've played it for 7 years now and though now I'm good at it, I'm still not a pro at it.

How long has it taken you guys? Were there any particular strategies that you used to learn? I'm wondering if I should play differently, since I'm always fighting against the controls (speed, maneuvering, etc).

First of all i'd say Relax, dont have such thoughts that you're not good like you should be. It takes experience and time to learn.. For caping i'd say learn some easy and fast routes (reccomend Zhou's vid made some time ago for simple routes), with time you'll learn to skii better, its all about hitting the slope right.About aiming it goes the same way, practice practice and practice, try to predict enemy's movement for MA's, for Duealing use chain while the enemy is in the air and rocket him while he hits the ground. Also try to stay above the enemy at all times, you'll take much less damage this way.

Remember this is a game, relax and put some effort in learning, nothing comes overnight, practice makes perfect.Dont put yourself down if you see players which are much better then you are, because they most probably played a looooot more then you did. Besides theres usually Always someone who's gonna be better then you.no matter how good you are and how long you played. Legions is a kind of game which has different aspects, you might be better at caping then you are at defending/chasing. Do what is most fun for you and enjoy it. You'll become better before you even notice.

Snow

Hey guys, just getting on to leave a short message real quick. Thank you for your responses. I appreciate all the advice. I'll definitely follow it. Merry Christmas everyone. :)

Siantlark

This thread should sticky. Thought it would turn into some sorta flame war but... It's actually mature!

Oh and remember about the resting thing:

"This isn't some sort of magic method. You have to practice this and then rest for a while and keep on practicing. Your brain can't process information that it doesn't have." Old piano teacher.

Unknown

Private Tester
My best advice is to watch good people play and practice the basics. You posted a lot about having trouble with skiing and capping, I would be happy to show you some routes and give you some tips. PM me about any questions, or if you want to take me up on showing you some routes.

Redvan

Private Tester
length of time to get skilled will be different dependent on the individuals perception of whats happening.

I played this type of game since 2001 with Tribes 2. But really what got me better in terms of aim is playing quicker FPS "twitch" games (UT, quick scoping in T:WFC, Front Mission Evolved). Play games like those then come back to L:O, and you'll see how much easier MAs are.

Obviously thats not all, major aspects of overall skill include energy management and terrain management. Those apply to all positions in a CTF match, as does the ability to twitch shoot.

And, most of all, simply being situationally aware is going to be a huge aspect of how well you play. If you play when fatigued, it's good practice (though you'll undoubtedly play worse). But when you're not, you'll be much more situationally aware. Situational awareness will help you with energy and terrain management, flag management, dueling skills (LO, LD essential skills), and anything and everything else you can think of.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Don't fret about MA'ing people. When I first started I couldn't hit anything. Ground and pound is very useful and I find it very rewarding. MA's don't come to most people naturally, it'll take time. Like Outlawl said, grab a friend and duel. IMO, that friend should be better then you. I find that I got better dueling by facing off against top level duelers. It may seem like you're getting ass whipped, but it'll pay off :)

good luck!

Shade

Private Tester
Please give links to videos, guides; or explain things like IRC, PUGs, or ts3. It's like saying, "there's this awesome site you can go to make you pro, just go to the site! It's awesome."

IRC or Web Chat can be found at the top of your screen. It is a chat site where players go to hang out.

PUGs are explained here: http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/the-answer-to-what-is-a-pug-or-pub.55/

Ts3 is a way of voice chatting with people and another place to hang out. You can download it and find the information for it here: http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/official-teamspeak-3-server.198/

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

discord

Private Tester
Don't fret about MA'ing people. When I first started I couldn't hit anything. Ground and pound is very useful and I find it very rewarding.

What freeman said. He's a great player but honestly, fighting him is like fighting exploding ground. He might midair you once in a while, but every time you touch the ground he's going to pound you like a drum and then go back to chain when you bounce up.

jk, but yeah, freeman is pretty well known for groundpounding you while he stands on a tower or something and ponders his next step in becoming docta.