Frostbyte Cap Routes | For Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellismore

Hello everybody, I just finished making this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAbOFwyoc0w) for beginners who want to learn the basic capping routes for the map Frostbyte.

Keep in mind that this is FOR BEGINNERS, so I don't need that "Oh this sucks really bad learn to play" mumbo jumbo.

I plan on making more advanced cap route videos in the near future.

Constructive criticism, tips on improvement, or even adding your own routes is appreciated.

Frost

It's a nice idea but a lot of those routes use a rj + od, or two rj's etc. Basically, most of them ended up in you returning to your base with "critical" health. Frostbyte is compact and fast-paced, if your going to od grab you need 80-100% health and even then there's a high chance of getting 1 hit.

Rocket jumps on frostbyte aren't really for capping.

ellismore

It's a nice idea but a lot of those routes use a rj + od, or two rj's etc. Basically, most of them ended up in you returning to your base with "critical" health. Frostbyte is compact and fast-paced, if your going to od grab you need 80-100% health and even then there's a high chance of getting 1 hit.

Rocket jumps on frostbyte aren't really for capping.
Appreciate the suggestion, and I will make sure to do that in my next video involving more advanced caps, however, this IS JUST for beginners, no pro player is going to be using these in pubs.
And I use rocket jumps just for the extra speed, or to jump further distances.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
A little tempted to lock this thread purely because tons of these EXACT videos exist but since beginners may not know how to use the search function I will let this thread live... For now. Dun dun dun...

Disci

Old man
What makes me wonder is, why beginners would need 7½ minutes of different caproutes for one map? Put up only few most important ones for both sides and move on to another map. That's my advice.

ellismore

What makes me wonder is, why beginners would need 7½ minutes of different caproutes for one map? Put up only few most important ones for both sides and move on to another map. That's my advice.
Uh...I dont' quite understand what you're saying. Why does the time of the video have anything to do with newbies using these? They can choose 1 out of any of these, and use it. It doesn't matter...

Don't post stupid stuff, regardless of your obsessive need to troll.
xD

Rj use when its needed..
Listen buddy, I don't think you've caught on. Read the title of the post. Read the title of the video. Read the reply I made to Frost.
If you haven't noticed, I put for beginners. RJ turns tend to be easier for newbies so they can turn better and get back to their base more smoothly.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] Listen buddy, I don't think you've caught on. Read the title of the post. Read the title of the video. Read the reply I made to Frost.
If you haven't noticed, I put for beginners. [...]
Beginners make mistakes, beginners might not know "the best way" to do stuff, beginners are still learning. But that's no reason to teach them suboptimal things. ;)

Videos for beginners (not to be confused with videos by beginners) are the hardest ones you can make, as you have to make sure that you're doing your best, not showing them anything stupid or even wrong. If someone who's good at the game watches a video, you can count on him being able to understand what you're doing in it and why, to realize when you *dance* up and/or around. That's not what a beginner will think. In the best case, a video for beginners also shows them how to get there and how to do that stuff themselves. To say that your video is for beginners, doesn't make your job any easier.

[...] no pro player is going to be using these [...]
Why teach it to newbloods then? It's also time to mention once again, that there's not a single Leejunz "pro player" out there.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
why not instead of putting some generic cap routes for a map that doesn't need them, get some good ones on a map that does not have many videos of it and do some good routes - elegiac doesn't have many videos, neither does gorge or forgotten.

your just using "for beginners" as an excuse to be lazy.

you can do much better than that, i'll be waiting for your next video.

ellismore

Beginners make mistakes, beginners might not know "the best way" to do stuff, beginners are still learning. But that's no reason to teach them suboptimal things. ;)

Videos for beginners (not to be confused with videos by beginners) are the hardest ones you can make, as you have to make sure that you're doing your best, not showing them anything stupid or even wrong. If someone who's good at the game watches a video, you can count on him being able to understand what you're doing in it and why, to realize when you *dance* up and/or around. That's not what a beginner will think. In the best case, a video for beginners also shows them how to get there and how to do that stuff themselves. To say that your video is for beginners, doesn't make your job any easier.

Why teach it to newbloods then? It's also time to mention once again, that there's not a single Leejunz "pro player" out there.
Consider me a newbie then. And by pro I meant more experienced.

why not instead of putting some generic cap routes for a map that doesn't need them, get some good ones on a map that does not have many videos of it and do some good routes - elegiac doesn't have many videos, neither does gorge or forgotten.

your just using "for beginners" as an excuse to be lazy.

you can do much better than that, i'll be waiting for your next video.
I do appreciate your constructive criticism and I'll be sure to include Elegiac in my next cap routes video, however, I put beginners as in, actually for beginners.
I hate to brag but i'm far more experienced than this.
I'm glad you look forward to my next video :D

Disci

Old man
What I ment is that most of the caproutes you ran for that vid are not even close to be practical. Tell me, how often do you run those "start a route going back to your own base" -routes? They don't fit the flow of FB where most of the people are running front OD routes and are successful pretty much 99% of times.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] however, I put beginners as in, actually for beginners.
I hate to brag but i'm far more experienced than this. [...]
This still doesn't make any sense. Do you want the beginners to learn stuff that you wouldn't use yourself, as you're "more experienced than that"? Is this an attempt to troll them/keep them down? If not, why don't you try to teach them the really useful routes?

One could indeed get the impression that
[...] your just using "for beginners" as an excuse to be lazy. [...]

ellismore

This still doesn't make any sense. Do you want the beginners to learn stuff that you wouldn't use yourself, as you're "more experienced than that"? Is this an attempt to troll them/keep them down? If not, why don't you try to teach them the really useful routes?

One could indeed get the impression that
I really dislike people like you. I was going to say something that would probably get me banned from this game, but I decided not to.
I'm going to make this very simple. I was bored. I made a video, sharing my routes for beginners in that map, which, by the way, I have the freedom to do and I appreciated constructive criticism, however, what you're doing is not constructive and helps me in no way of improving. What you are doing is criticizing.
Anyway, I make a thread on legions with no intention but the intention to help beginners, and this is what I get, from you, from everybody else who thinks this is supposed to be god.
Well it's not, and i'm not, and when I say something I mean it very legitimately, so when I say I am far more experienced than this, I mean it.
So, please stop. I'm asking you nicely for the last time.

What I ment is that most of the caproutes you ran for that vid are not even close to be practical. Tell me, how often do you run those "start a route going back to your own base" -routes? They don't fit the flow of FB where most of the people are running front OD routes and are successful pretty much 99% of times.

Those ones were just a add-on for some extra speed, they're optional to do in a real pub.
And really, I don't care whether or not this is practical. Beginners don't think of that.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
I really dislike people like you. [...]
You're getting way too defensive again, just like the last time, as I was simply mentioning the fact that your otherwise very promising video suffered greatly under the *danced* up aspect ratio.

This time, all that the people that are "criticizing" your work are telling you, is that your general premise is not quite right, which shows again when you say:
[...] I don't care whether or not this is practical. Beginners don't think of that.

Saying that it's "for beginners" doesn't achieve what you apparently wanted to achieve:
[...] Keep in mind that this is FOR BEGINNERS, so I don't need that "Oh this sucks really bad learn to play" mumbo jumbo. [...]
but rather has almost the opposite effect. "To say that your video is for beginners, doesn't make your job any easier."

That doesn't change a single thing about your video though. Which is a nice mix of FB routes of different levels of usability.

Frost

I really dislike people like you. I was going to say something that would probably get me banned from this game, but I decided not to.
I'm going to make this very simple. I was bored. I made a video, sharing my routes for beginners in that map, which, by the way, I have the freedom to do and I appreciated constructive criticism, however, what you're doing is not constructive and helps me in no way of improving. What you are doing is criticizing.
Anyway, I make a thread on legions with no intention but the intention to help beginners, and this is what I get, from you, from everybody else who thinks this is supposed to be god.
Well it's not, and i'm not, and when I say something I mean it very legitimately, so when I say I am far more experienced than this, I mean it.
So, please stop. I'm asking you nicely for the last time.

Those ones were just a add-on for some extra speed, they're optional to do in a real pub.
And really, I don't care whether or not this is practical. Beginners don't think of that.
What Gheist is trying to say, is that when you teach someone, you do it in steps and you TRY to teach them the proper way. For instance if your teaching someone the alphabet, and they can't understand the concept of "c" you don't just skip it and hope they get it later. Similarly you don't teach them an alternate to "c", and expect to phase it out later.

If you decide to remake this video, or make more beginner videos it should focus on:
  1. The most used routes
  2. The "easy routes"
Frostbyte can be done, and should be done in 4 routes, two from each side. Both sides have a front route, and one that goes over the side wall (which may be a bit tricky for beginners). Gheist is slightly rough around the edges however he's just trying to say if your going to do it, do it right.

ellismore

What Gheist is trying to say, is that when you teach someone, you do it in steps and you TRY to teach them the proper way. For instance if your teaching someone the alphabet, and they can't understand the concept of "c" you don't just skip it and hope they get it later. Similarly you don't teach them an alternate to "c", and expect to phase it out later.

If you decide to remake this video, or make more beginner videos it should focus on:
  1. The most used routes
  2. The "easy routes"
Frostbyte can be done, and should be done in 4 routes, two from each side. Both sides have a front route, and one that goes over the side wall (which may be a bit tricky for beginners). Gheist is slightly rough around the edges however he's just trying to say if your going to do it, do it right.

I'll do it however I want to do it...
There is no "right"
People make up routes. Is that "right" or "wrong"?
Sniping was originally made for long distance, and people use it for 1 v 1 duels, is that "right" or "wrong"?
No. I agree that I did make a few mistakes here such as on the second clip I accidently hit a bump causing me to use up more energy than anticipated and so I had to land on the platform in front of the base before landing on the flag platform.

You're getting way too defensive again, just like the last time, as I was simply mentioning the fact that your otherwise very promising video suffered greatly under the *danced* up aspect ratio.

This time, all that the people that are "criticizing" your work are telling you, is that your general premise is not quite right, which shows again when you say:

Saying that it's "for beginners" doesn't achieve what you apparently wanted to achieve:
but rather has almost the opposite effect. "To say that your video is for beginners, doesn't make your job any easier."

That doesn't change a single thing about your video though. Which is a nice mix of FB routes of different levels of usability.
You're accusing me of an attempt to troll...
Like, is that a joke? I'm not getting defensive, i'm merely defending what i've made and you're trying to ruin/destroy, whatever you wanna call it. You're trying to MAKE ME DO WHAT YOU WOULD DO.

You criticize my work however you produce nothing of your own. Show me something better and i'll shut the hell up.

Frost

I'll do it however I want to do it...
There is no "right"
People make up routes. Is that "right" or "wrong"?

Now I'm starting to feel as Gheist does. As soon as you say "for beginners" your implying that this is a video to teach, and you can quote me on this when I say there is right and wrong when it comes to teaching. No, it isn't "wrong" to make up your own routes but if your saying it's for beginners, and you've specifically lowered your skill level to show them routes then they should be effective routes, easy routes, and popular routes (because they're easy).

As an experienced player you can't just (technically you can, but ethics and morals say you shouldn't) teach beginners the wrong things, such as using rocket jumping for caps on Frostbyte. Instead of getting defensive towards me, who by the way followed your guidelines of constructive criticism and tried to explain Gheist, you should think about how to improve your next video.

EDIT: Making up routes isn't wrong, but telling beginners they're right is, especially when Frostbyte has staple routes they should be learning.

mario

Pitty words. Since when can newbie do rocket jump? When I started play Legions I remember well I never used rocket jump in cap routes ONLY when I needed it.
Also rocket jump is needed on different kind cap routes. Aswell depends what defense is. 

Status
Not open for further replies.