Elegiac Update on Public Test

Disci

Old man
It's on the stand.

About the map: I think the walls are too close and caproutes are pretty boring. For once I would run front OD routes more than sideroutes. Maybe put the flag near the entrance on the ground level? Didn't try to run any routes from there, but I think it would be better compaired to current place.

Vinzyboy23

No Sleepwalker again?

ON TOPIC: I really like the slopes for capping in Elegiac, but this might be another side route spam map, I guess...

Pure4Pwnge

Side routes are weird on this map...my best so far is 211. Forgot which side I was on >.> only a few good end slopes with meh returns.

Disci

Old man
Second best map behind frost :)

I don't agree. :(

It's fine, but I just find capping rather boring on this one. My opinion is based on 30 mins testing pretty much alone on the server at 3am, so playing against a team might change my pov. Cap routes just feels like too fixed before hand because the position of the flag and how slopes are formed.

Propkid

I like the map, it's kindof at the other end of the map spectrum than the old Sleepwalker: this one is really easy to ski on. Sniping is also silly buffed here, so thanks for the lowered visibility. The easy routes are in a way limited by the flag stand blocking some of the way. All I'd change is make the flagstand's 'cage' a bit shorter so that the caproutes are even more limited.

Also, wth is up with those tunnels in bases? Really don't see the point. Same for the room/tunnels on Fallout middle lava thingy.

Love the map. It feels like an awesome playground, and it's actually lots of fun to play on. However, the terrible way it looks is in my eyes completely inexcusable. Let me explain:

rnbf.jpg

This is what you're looking at most of the time. Now, it's obviously supposed to be a night map. Why this has been done is a complete mystery to me. Right now it looks like the player has a very powerful floodlight strapped to its helmet which extends for half a mile. Except for the skybox and the thick black fog, there's nothing to depict that this map is actually set at night time. Have a look at this shot, for example:

xbcp.jpg

This terrain shot could just as easily been from any other grass map. Fully lit, completely green, it looks nothing like a night setting.

Now, I understand that there's supposed to be low-visibility for gameplay reasons. But the engine you guys are working with is simply terrible with the sort of lighting and subtlety required for a convincing night setting. The result is immersion-breaking ugliness in an otherwise very well made map. I know it sucks, but you would be best of working with the limitations you are given instead of against it. I learned this the hard way myself when making maps for a variety of old, crappy engines.

I would really push for a handful of simple changes to this map. Ditch the half-done night setting completely and, for example, give this map a light blue or warm yellow tinted skybox (to complement the greens). Keep the fog density, but make it light blue, yellow or green, verging on white. This would make sense in a 'foggy valley' kind of way. All in all this would make it a much nicer place to be. And moreover, it would put the visuals on par with some the best looking maps out there.

Angel.

Private Tester
Love the map. It feels like an awesome playground, and it's actually lots of fun to play on. However, the terrible way it looks is in my eyes completely inexcusable. Let me explain:

rnbf.jpg

This is what you're looking at most of the time. Now, it's obviously supposed to be a night map. Why this has been done is a complete mystery to me. Right now it looks like the player has a very powerful floodlight strapped to its helmet which extends for half a mile. Except for the skybox and the thick black fog, there's nothing to depict that this map is actually set at night time. Have a look at this shot, for example:

xbcp.jpg

This terrain shot could just as easily been from any other grass map. Fully lit, completely green, it looks nothing like a night setting.

Now, I understand that there's supposed to be low-visibility for gameplay reasons. But the engine you guys are working with is simply terrible with the sort of lighting and subtlety required for a convincing night setting. The result is immersion-breaking ugliness in an otherwise very well made map. I know it sucks, but you would be best of working with the limitations you are given instead of against it. I learned this the hard way myself when making maps for a variety of old, crappy engines.

I would really push for a handful of simple changes to this map. Ditch the half-done night setting completely and, for example, give this map a light blue or warm yellow tinted skybox (to complement the greens). Keep the fog density, but make it light blue, yellow or green, verging on white. This would make sense in a 'foggy valley' kind of way. All in all this would make it a much nicer place to be. And moreover, it would put the visuals on par with some the best looking maps out there.
how about we make this a daytime map and solve everyones probs

Application-1

test bester
Pug today shows that the castle walls are great flag passing points. Something very different then the normal grab and run. Just llama it and pass it up to your mate. Even though we all know flag passes this map actually encouraged it today. \o/

The night brings something new to legions! :D
The fact that it's new is in itself not a valid reason for keeping it. A new feature has to make the game better than it was before that feature. It has to add something interesting or enjoyable... this does neither.

phanakapan

Private Tester
I feel like the middle of the map is a lot of fun, and the walls are interesting idea, but from the point of view of a capper who likes to let lose a little, the terrain for any kind of interesting routes is pretty much nil. there is only really one approach from every side and front capping is boring regardless of the map.

it's a lot of fun to chase on though :)