Discussion on RLoF vs HoF

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Well, if you've ever seen me play stay at home or chase, you'll know that I stand at a relatively high point and aim my RL down at or right beside the flag stand and wait for a capper to come in. I prefer this to playing as HoF (though I can do that as well) simply because I have a better idea of what is coming in because people have a tendency to desert HoF's in PUB's.

The problem arises when I'm playing defense and someone else plays as HoF. If they don't fly up to attempt an aerial interception (though HoF's do often do this, especially on Frostbyte), I'm stuck with having to RL the stand (which is where the HoF is standing). As a result, I end up shooting my own teammate and if I get the timing wrong, I'll end up knocking the HoF off, enabling the capper to get through.

Now, to this, you'll likely say, get better timing. I could, but it's difficult to time the path of the capper right if you put an HoF in front of him, all sense of timing goes out the window as soon as they collide.

I'm just curious what others think in regards to the advantages and disadvantages of the two.

Application-1

test bester
PLEASE keep splashing the stand PLEASE. People think chaining someone from far away or trying to BB or even ma a incoming capper is a good idea. But splashing the stand is SO much more effective. This stuff still happens on pickups. I always say always splash the stand when you see a incoming capper. I am a HoF and I can take a punch. And a good HoF does not stand directly on the flag stand. If a outrider comes in and goes into OD and you throw a rocket on him, then he will die. Splashing is VERY effective and should be the first thing a good LD player should learn. After that you can try to BB or ma someone that is coming in.

When in doubt, splash.

S

shaskie

PLEASE keep splashing the stand PLEASE. People think chaining someone from far away or trying to BB or even ma a incoming capper is a good idea. But splashing the stand is SO much more effective. This stuff still happens on pickups. I always say always splash the stand when you see a incoming capper. I am a HoF and I can take a punch. And a good HoF does not stand directly on the flag stand. If a outrider comes in and goes into OD and you throw a rocket on him, then he will die. Splashing is VERY effective and should be the first thing a good LD player should learn. After that you can try to BB or ma someone that is coming in.

When in doubt, splash.

Whenever I teach defense, this is exactly right. This video is the perfect description of splashing the stand.

Propkid

when ders a hopf on yur flag stend just go in an SPAM MORTRArZ AT HIM TROLOLOL

And seriously now, splash or switch to a sniper loadout. I'd do the latter; snipers are still being underused in D.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
It's just that I see a surprisingly small number of people doing this. Like you said, Application, if he's OD grabbing, a direct hit will kill him. If nothing else, he's severely injured and slowed. People just don't seem to do this very much for how good of a tactic it has seemed to me to be.

@Immanent: only someone who's never seen me with that weapon would tell me to do that. I can't hit the broad side of the barn with that thing. Plasma I only manage some hits with because of it's insane RoF.

Propkid

I can chain him, turn around and shoot the flag stand, and if he still gets out chase him. All in <20 ping. Which I find quite effective, than just shooting the stand with the rocket.
I can snipe him, turn around and shoot the flag stand and if he gets away I can snipe him again. Which I find quite effective compared to just chaining and shooting the stand with a rocket.

Pure

I can snipe him, turn around and shoot the flag stand and if he gets away I can snipe him again. Which I find quite effective compared to just chaining and shooting the stand with a rocket.

no your sniper will not relod fast enough for you to shoot the flag stand

Immanent

Never chain a incoming capper, never.
I know Euros have good players that are very capable with the chaingun (*COUGH FREAKING PETRIFIED*) and will disagree with you. Although I find my chaining quite a bit more consistent with taking down an incoming capper from 100%-60% almost every time (of course with <20 ping), St3lth is my alibi. He is also great at doing this as well, so, no hard feelings or anything, but I think that I'll stick to my method.
Also, I feel that splashing the flagstand while there is a HoF is kind of redundant if they are actually ON the flagstand, and not going out to body block.

But if you're HD or HoF, splashing is always better than chaining.
Oh qq, you should play more with stelth on jap server :p

Propkid

no your sniper will not relod fast enough for you to shoot the flag stand
Hornet loadout: RL + LR. I will use RL to shoot the flag stand, any my sniper will be long-reloaded unless I'm on like Frostbyte Alpha or some other bad sniper position.

Hornet loadout: RL + LR. I will use RL to shoot the flag stand, any my sniper will be long-reloaded unless I'm on like Frostbyte Alpha or some other bad sniper position.
I thought everyone who has ever played with the hornet loadout knows that when you fire you sniper, the reload time also affects your rocket launcher. So whenever you snipe, it will take as long to be able to use your rl again as it will take to use your LR again.

Application-1

test bester
First of all plasma is not /chaining/. And when you see a incoming capper and you shoot a rocket in his path then it does not matter if you can chain someone down from 100->60%. his route will be disrupted and this can be done in 50+ ping (0-50 ping is imo quite the same). So it is more effective, and keeps you on watch for other incoming cappers. Also you can chain and then splash the stand.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux

You misunderstood him.

I thought everyone who has ever played with the hornet loadout knows that when you fire you sniper, the reload time also affects your rocket launcher. So whenever you snipe, it will take as long to be able to use your rl again as it will take to use your LR again.

Obviously.

Seeing as I have the experience of sniping alot, I think I can say that there's usually enough time for you to get a shot off, and splash the stand. Not always, but a good example is frost beta. Couple those two things with contagious overdrive = win.

Propkid

there's usually enough time
Start thinking outside the box: why not snipe the enemy cappers as they are leaving their own base? There's always enough time to take another shot if you have the balls to try shooting at longer range. Heck, you can net a kill before they reach your base.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Start thinking outside the box: why not snipe the enemy cappers as they are leaving their own base? There's always enough time to take another shot if you have the balls to try shooting at longer range. Heck, you can net a kill before they reach your base.

Now you're patronizing me? Jesus. Shooting at distance isn't nearly as effective as shooting at close range because of the damage dropoff. There is generally only two chances to hit people people on smaller maps as they come in, one from further away, and one as they come in.

Noober

Application-1 is right, don't care about damage on your hof, they have a lot of healt and the disk on the stand is essential!
About snipe an incoming capper.. uhmmm i use hornet and most of time if i try to snipe an incoming capper i fail and then i cant splash stand with disk.. even if i hit him i do the same damage that i can do with splash then is better splashing.
If the incoming capper is far you can try a single snipe so your rocket will be ready for splash in time.