Did i do the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shaskie

AL-Kennedy-smashed-keyboa-006.jpg

Thats the ending result, and you did the right thing!

57thRomance

Hey Maddogg, if you need the assurance from online forums to tell you that you made the right decision, then you probably should've asked someone before making your decision. Regardless, look at her perspective and the positives. It was HER decision to follow your advice, and because of your suggestion she has lifted a burden on her sibling and herself and avoided further abuse.

Now let me give you some advice: I'd say whenever you're stuck in a similar situation again, you should not let any doubts prevent you from acting righteously. This way, you won't have to seek a confirmation bias that you did choose justly, and you won't have to live with regrets you wish you could undo.

skypredator

Do it. Get your mum to give you the files, scan them and upload to the forums.

Waiting for the regretfulness to smite me down...

I would, but they're probably classified (Confidential patient files). I'm not even allowed to be in the same room as my Mom when she's doing her patient notes. I'm sure, though, she could take a second look at them and give me a percentage, but that won't be for a while; she's very swamped 'cause some people in her department are having HER do the discharges, when the Discharge-people-guys are sitting back getting paid for doing nothing. =P But yes, I'll try my best to get them!

Yes, Fweemuhn, I got very Trolololiteral. Ucan back off my Style. ;)

Gheist

King of all Goblins
skypredator, do yourself and everyone else a favour and read what I've actually posted.

Maddogg101 made a decision that led to an action (in this case giving advice to a 7 year old younger, 14 year old girl), based on what he thought was the right thing to do. This action will have consequences, like most (if not all) do. What he did - and it's totally irrelevant if it was right or wrong, from his POV or someone else's, morally or legally - triggered one damn important feeling in him: Insecurity and doubt. This is essential, and shows that he actually cares about what he has done. Having doubts about what you're doing, feeling insecure about the consequences that your actions will have, is a major part of acting responsibly. It's a crucial emotion that you have to learn to deal with, that you have to rationalize and that you have to integrate into your everyday life.

There are points that made him doubt what he has done, and it's important that he thinks about those things. Telling him to forget about all that and telling him that he's a hero is just not right. That's what people did though. It resulted in: "You have led me into the correct path again." Is ignoring your "inner voice of reason and doubt" really the "correct path"? Yes, it might be more comfortable, but ignorance is never the right answer, especially if it's aimed towards yourself.

So just to get him back to actually thinking about what he has done, I'll tell him that he has done the wrong thing. Doubt is something that you have to keep in mind; not something that you just push aside because some faceless internet people tell you that you did something right. Something they don't know anything about apart from what you yourself told them.

Acknowledge your inner voice, you will have to live with the consequences of your actions.

Propkid

But yes, I'll try my best to get them!
You know this is a sticky note on my desktop right now? "Skypredator has to upload the scans of the statistic files about physical (child) abusal". I'll give you say... 3 weeks? I'll add it to my calendar too.

Still can't feel the regret mate. Just a little itching inbetween my buttocks, that's all.

skypredator

Gheist, I did.

Stop underestimating me. I think I should let you know that I read your post 5 times and it didn't make any *dancing* sense to me. All jumbled up with no perceivable direction at all.

Just so you know. Please, make it a bit clearer. What I pulled from it was that you were rebuking him for his quick actions, and the community as well, for patting him on the back so eagerly. Quite honestly this situation is black and white. Sure, it WILL have its consequences, but they will only reflect on the mother. He got these kids out of a very unstable, dangerous, life-threatening situation. Furthermore, you point out that he is older than them as if it negatively affects their situation. However, he is quite mature and he has a good bit of sense in him. Again, your two posts don't make an ounce of sense. I spend over 10 minutes trying to but together the literal structure you tried to form, most of the time. Perhaps I would have a more positive attitude towards you if you 1. Stopped being snide with your rebukes - no one wants to learn when the corrections are shoved down their gullet, and 2. stopped speaking for the majority when you have no idea what their true thoughts are.

Shame is what keeps the truth from coming into the light. Think about this.

Prop, this is legally protected stuff. She's switched states (Thus a new license). Meaning, she isn't quite at the top anymore, which means she doesn't have access to a ll the files. Give me a little over a month.

Propkid

I think I should let you know that I read your post 5 times and it didn't make any *dancing* sense to me. All jumbled up with no perceivable direction at all.
I'll make it plain for you:
Gheist says that thinking about past actions and possibly criticizing them is a good thing. Life's not black and white, and you shouldn't ignore your 'inner voices'. You always have to consider both sides of all your actions. Plain enough?

Prop, this is legally protected stuff. She's switched states (Thus a new license). Meaning, she isn't quite at the top anymore, which means she doesn't have access to a ll the files. Give me a little over a month.
I'm counting down.

And again, when will the pizza with extra regret come up? I've ordered it like an hour ago...

Disci

Old man
Why does every thread turn into two people fighting?

Idk, some people don't really read properly what other people have said before them. Also people have "fixed" attitudes towards certain people so they get defensive automaticly, or something like that. Seems pretty weird to me too.

Heartsong

Idk, some people don't really read properly what other people have said before them. Also people have "fixed" attitudes towards certain people so they get defensive automaticly, or something like that. Seems pretty weird to me too.

SHUT THE *DANCE* UP

Armageddon

Teapot
I skimmed, but what i gathered from that was this, You after just meeting this girl who tells you a story of abuse, decided it was best to have her go straight to the authorities without any real evidence to back up these claims. Did you see any of this first hand or are you taking a 14 year old girls word for it, who might just be saying all of this for attention.

Now this mother for all we know who might have not done anything, now has to deal with CPS breathing down her neck because her 14 yr old daughter was looking for attention.

So in closing your involvement in this scenario has effected 3 lives for better or worse based on what she said.

Bottom line is abuse like this ends up with the abuser murdering the victim, in 82% of the cases.

This is an absurd statistic.

As for the original post, I agree with Gheist. Keep that doubt with you. Don't paint this scene white automatically, it's more of a grey. If another situation like this approaches and you find out what you did this time was wrong and decide to make the decision based on the outcome of the first, you may make a new mistake. But if you keep the doubt static in all situations like this, maybe you'll look into the situation more make a more rationalized decision next time instead of possibly staying out of it because of what happened the first time.

As for the original post, in my opinion, what you did was right, but, I highly agree with Gheist. Keep that

Either way though, you acted moral and if it doesn't turn out right, at least you gave a good shot at trying to help someone out, and that makes you a better person than many others who wouldn't have done the same. Just don't let one good or bad decision cloud your judgement.

Propkid

Hey I also want my posts to be criticized! I tried so hard I also want some feedback...

Oh and I kindof guess that the OP has abandoned this thread long ago and that he won't read the latter opinions considering the slight derail we're experiencing here :D

Uh...
IMO we'll only get to see whether he did the right thing or not once we see how does the situation develop. And really, did he do anything? Or did the final choice belong to the girl (call or not call)?

Nevertheless I'm enjoying this thread :D

It's true, we'll find out what happens at the end of the day. He did influence the girl apparently and I believe the final choice was from the (influenced) girl.

skypredator

Every time someone says Gheist or Fire don't like, they blast it and scream "TREASON! BLASPHEMY! BLOODY MURDER!!!111!!". Quite honestly I'm sick and tired of this. I'm sorry my mother has been nearly promoted to Level 5 Security Access to all of the patient and hospital files for ALL of Manhattan. It's not like you would know.

I'm not stupid, nor am I a liar. If you want to label me as such, go ahead, but it only makes you look foolish. From a member's standpoint, I would've thought maybe, of all people, you two would be a little more humble. But you're not; this is what pisses people off so much. You waltz in all high and mighty, double team on somebody that keeps saying things you disagree with, and do so in a very snide, "We're much more superior to you" manner. I've had enough.

Stop ruining threads with sarcastic comments. If you didn't notice, nobody likes that.

You two ALWAYS throw the thread off the rails with some mean/hurtful/stupid comment. Fire, if it's so absurd to you, give me counter-evidence, because until then, your argument has no back-up besides your ego, which suffocates us all.

Stop being thought police. It's *dancing* annoying. I'm not being rude; I'm simply telling you to stop this behavior because quite honestly, it makes you look like jackasses. Just because you're Devs doesn't give you the right to act this way. I know ONE of you will reply with some sarcastic image or GIF, but I honestly don't care. If you have a problem with me, because I swear, I know you DO target me to piss me off, PM me, instead of posting some useless, idiotic message on a purposeful thread. Derailing threads (Breaking a rule) and telling us not to is hypocritical.

Sincerely, a member of this community that expects more from you two. (And don't say that this is how you act; I'm sure we're ALL tired of this.)

I would've PMed you two this, but quite honestly, I want the whole community to see what I think.

I'm not afraid of you. You don't intimidate me.

When ya gonna grow up and learn this?

Status
Not open for further replies.