Custom map rotation on each server

Homingun

Having players leave when a bad("elite" if you prefer) map comes around is becoming an annoyance. It breaks the flow and splits up what could be a fun pub. It would be great if there were custom map rotations on each server. I would think setting something like this up would be pretty simple.

Example:
Hotswap #1 Small maps (nivosus, moonshine)
Hotswap #2 Medium maps (frostbyte, gorge)
Hotswap #3 Large maps (zenith, core, mirage)
Hotswap #4 Popular maps (zenith, frostbyte, nivosus?)
Hotswap #5 Elite maps (moonshine, gorge)

Having something like this should give a good indication as to what maps are fun to play in a pub. It might even show which maps should be scrapped/remade.

Unknown

Private Tester
Definitely like the idea. I'll admit I am someone who leaves when a map I don't like comes up. Something to keep in mind is that back on IA people mostly played on the Shazbot #4 Small Maps servers because most of the time smaller maps are better for pubs (in my experience). Having a popular maps server would be nice, but would probably leave the other servers relatively un-played.

Frostbyte, Nivosus and Moonshine are normally pretty good for PUB's since they are smaller and easier to play. In my experience Gorge, Core, Mirage, and even Zenith are normally less fun in PUB's because they are bigger and a lot of people who play in PUB's are pretty new to the game and not very good at skiing, etc yet.

mario

Thanks you told me about this Homi. ;p Sounds very nice, hope they will make it. ;] Its always only gorge n gorge. Also dont forget on EU servers! :D

U8er

It would be great to have this implemented. I can't count the amount of times the only populated server almost completely empties out because a disliked map comes into rotation.

GReaper

Grumpy
Too many configurations, try and come up with something which is a bit more simple and I'll consider it.

RisingSun

Private Tester
i like homings idea. Either way i dont care. as long as its not
Map #1 Map #2,
Map#1 Map#2 ,
Map#3 Map #4 ,
Map #3 Map #4
everyone is like UHHH again wtf?

MJ1284

I like it! Brings back memories from IA days.

@GReaper: I know this'll be even more complicated than Homingun's suggestion, but is it possible to make Change Map vote option accompanied with tracker? What I mean is little counter that checks how many times Map A, Map B and Map C (and so forth) gets voted on and changes map rotation accordingly (acting like "Popular maps" server mentioned in OP), this way there'd be a server that rotates maps that most people enjoy playing and there wouldn't be "Ughh Gorge.. I'm out" reaction. I know this might sound daft and pointless but is it theoretically possible to make server that supports this kind of modification?

GReaper

Grumpy
I'd love voting, but we don't even have admin controls yet. Something which stores the voting popularity is likely to be a bit too much, adding excessive complexity when we don't have the basics.

I could potentially do:

Small/Medium (16 players): FrostByte, Nivosus, Moonshine, Zenith (min 14 or 15)
Medium/Large (20? players): Zenith, Core, Gorge, Mirage

Battelstar

I like the voting idea.

For example after each map the server says: Vote now for the next map: Press 1 for Zenith, 2 for Gorge, 3 for Frostbyte... etc. After 10-20 seconds the server switches to the map with the most votes.

Edit: Wrote this at same time as GReaper his one. Also: Isn't Gorge smaller than Zenith?

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Haha since when is moonshine an elite map?

Seeing as there is a limited number of maps at the moment, there should only be three basic types of map rotations, as suggested in the original post:

It's very straightforward and newb-friendly, so +1 from me.

Homingun

Too many configurations, try and come up with something which is a bit more simple and I'll consider it.

I thought it was quite simple already. Considering that there are 4 euro servers, it might fit very well.

Also, making it any more complex wouldn't give feedback as to what maps the community likes in a pub. After observing this, you might be able to consolidate the maps and remove some servers entirely. No need to have those empty hotswaps running all the time.

The change in player count is a really good idea. Small maps-12? Medium maps-16? Large maps 20?

I think the voting is probably the best way to go, but it might be too complex for the game right now.

Haha since when is moonshine an elite map?

The last rotation was a joke if you didn't notice.;) It was the "omg these maps are too elite for me" category.

xzzxxz

Having players leave when a bad("elite" if you prefer) map comes around is becoming an annoyance. It breaks the flow and splits up what could be a fun pub. It would be great if there were custom map rotations on each server. I would think setting something like this up would be pretty simple.

Example:
Hotswap #4 Popular maps (zenith, frostbyte, nivosus?)
Hotswap #5 Elite maps (moonshine, gorge)

Having something like this should give a good indication as to what maps are fun to play in a pub. It might even show which maps should be scrapped/remade.
i vote for two #4 because those will be mega full

DKnight556

You could add a vote feature so that players could vote of map during a cool down period after the match has ended before switching to the next map.

GReaper

Grumpy
Currently testing:

Hotswap/Shazbot #1 - Zenith (1.0), The Core (0.2), Gorge (0.7), Mirage (0.9)
Hotswap/Shazbot #2/#3 - FrostByte (1.0), Nivosus (0.8), Moonshine (0.6), Zenith (0.9, min 14 players)

Other servers remain unchanged for the time being, will see how these servers work first. I'm not going to waste time painting the bike shed for too long on this issue.

Homingun

Currently testing:

Hotswap/Shazbot #1 - Zenith (1.0), The Core (0.2), Gorge (0.7), Mirage (0.9)
Hotswap/Shazbot #2/#3 - FrostByte (1.0), Nivosus (0.8), Moonshine (0.6), Zenith (0.9, min 14 players)

Other servers remain unchanged for the time being, will see how these servers work first. I'm not going to waste time painting the bike shed for too long on this issue.

Doesn't really solve the players leaving problem. But I'll just stop trying to paint your bike shed now.(if you were referring to me)

GReaper

Grumpy
I'm referring to the fact that everyone has a difference of opinion when it comes to the maps they like/dislike. I'd personally drop from a server which plays Zenith. The community is never going to be able to build a consensus on the issue, which is why it'll end up like bike shed painting as everyone will want to give their opinion, but it's difficult to get people to agree to it.

The only real solution to it is ingame map voting anyway.