Closed Beta Pictures

Nvidia

How the hell can you think of a story mode in Legions :D
as mabel said Legions is an multiplayer game. Seriously a story mode is a silly idea.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I think it was munge who once said that legions is actually about drug cartels and inside the flag is where they hide them. :D

Mahidhar

I'd like to view those closed beta screenshots now. On a different note, Tribes had a story mode, don't know why Legions can't. Wouldn't mind, either way.

Old maps are great and I know they wont re design the game entirely, at first they're just gonna try it as a standalone multiplayer
but later no one knows it just might have a story mod

Sounds Like a WIN!

I don't know if you guys will agree but I think we would need some more extra content in the game if we want to implement a story mode, like new maps and definitely new weapons. Right now the game is a bit too simple to add a good story mode imo.

that could be true, but really what more are shooting games other than rockets, Chainguns, Grenades, and the occasional Sniper?

Astrum

Super Special R&D
I'd like to view those closed beta screenshots now. On a different note, Tribes had a story mode, don't know why Legions can't. Wouldn't mind, either way.

It did. The story telling was brilliant. They didn't give me any motivation for destroying those solar panels, or sniping that dude on the concrete block, I had to use my imagination to tell me why I was a murdering psychopath. The storyline was a real cliffhanger too. I destroyed the solar panel, small generator, and large generator. I even took out the sensors. And like that it was over! After I played that I knew they were going to make a sequel!

anak

VIP
I think a story mode would be far too much for such a small team to develop. They need to stick to additions to the mutliplayer.
agreed. i'm personally not a fan of singleplayer campaigns (trine almost gave me epilepsy) but I don't think legions would benefit at all from one - far too much work for minimal gain IMO.

PopoidAndroid

I'd put the game on a new engine before doing anything as big and scary as a story mode, and that opens a whole other can of worms. Probably best for now to just focus on getting the game back to where it was in a standalone exe, so we can get rid of that pesky private testing phase. Why do we need private testers, anyway? Just out of interest.

GReaper

Grumpy
I'd put the game on a new engine before doing anything as big and scary as a story mode, and that opens a whole other can of worms. Probably best for now to just focus on getting the game back to where it was in a standalone exe, so we can get rid of that pesky private testing phase. Why do we need private testers, anyway? Just out of interest.

We want a quality release, there are still plenty of bugs being squashed and certain bits of functionality which still aren't ready. We need testers to squash those bugs!

The game was pretty much designed to work on InstantAction, whilst developers in past have been able to play a standalone version for testing - it certainly isn't in a state which could be released. A lot of work is being put into Legions to make sure that it actually works well as a standalone game, putting in all the missing functionality, removing bits which forced it to use InstantAction.

It's a lot more work than you'd imagine.

Disci

Old man
I'd like to view those closed beta screenshots now.

fallen_empire_legions_b.jpg

tribeslike.jpg

legions.jpg

There you go my friend!

Application-1

test bester
Pretty much what Disci says there is not going to change alot, just see legions as the old legions and be happy if they maybe added a little new feature.

Cauchemar

Okay I have a question, it may be stupid, but I need an answer.

You say you want to be the game to be ready ASAP, but, wouldn't it be faster to choose 50 testers instead of 10 every batch?

Just a little thought, I'm probably wrong but it's something I was wondering for a while

Disci

Old man
Because there are not 50(unfortunately not even 30) testers in this community that could even test this game the required way it has to be tested. Think about it, whole community is full people who just don't have a slightest idea about game mechanics and I'm sure they wouldn't even spot a bug when they see one. Hell, some of them even think that clone thingy is a cool one and wants it to be in game so they can have some fun. I wouldn't get my hopes up to get into test team even when they start to pick more people in it.

Mahidhar

You gotta give people a chance. If there are people like you say, who would just like being with the bugs and playing the game, kick them out of the program , simple.