Boost Core [Video]

Fixious

Test Lead
For ze lazy (and assuming this is the same one)
jan2012update_05.png

xlr8434

Possibly change boost direction to los (Line of sight) not sure if i want this or not but will test.[/quote] make it look like lighitngWOOOOOOOOOO

Armageddon

Teapot
Direct LoS boosting is actually quite inefficient.
You know i thought the same thing, i'm use to 3 types of boosting from a mod me and PWA played in T1 called ultra renegades.

The first and earliest (98-99) form of boosting in that mod was a simple mine datablock, you dropped a mine that had 0 damage but 500 on kickback. The mine was on a very short timer and would detonate at 0.05 live time. The effect was pretty good for a shot in the dark idea where no speed measurements or trajectory angles where figured. There was the occasional "misboost" where you didn't end up where you thought you would, but it was minimal.

Then modders got more into reading existing functions within the game (00-02) and found the applyimpulse function, people added cos/sin for even better results but used alone with just xyz and velocity was just as well.

Around 03 WorstAim (one of the best coders you'll never hear about) and myself worked on a pretty niffty los boost method , which you wouldn't think is impressive but we did one better. In this mod it was common to boost backwards while still facing forwards, and trying to use los and be able to boost backwards is almost impossible. Basically we looked for if a player was pressing the walk backwards key and did a mock los based on the position of normal los just set from the back of the player, it's been about 10 years since i've even looked at the original code. It's pretty amusing that something fairly simple took us about a month to figure out, our first few ideas were ok but most were based on a 2 boost type setup depending on the players current direction (los for forward and one of the others mentioned for backwards) and they all "worked" but with very mixed results.

Well thats my long post for the year.. nothing fantastic.

Anyhow hope the new boost core makes it into the game soon, thats always one thing i tend to gravitate towards.