Asia's dead, and I'm disappointed.

Mahidhar

Over the last couple of weeks or so, I probably spent my time playing this game more in US and EU servers, rather than in SG servers. Rarely do I see, the number of players in that server cross 4. Even in my own clan practice, it's mostly Carnage, me and (any 2 out of the remaining 9 supposedly active players we got).

The one I'm disappointed in, is not the game, but the Asian/Aussie players. And the reason is simply that, when we did not have any Asia servers, the JP or SG, and had only the US and EU servers to play in, all of us were into deep discussion about how to get an Asia/Aussie server for the game. We had a meeting about the issue, discussed about the budget and the location of the server, and it really looked like we would burst into competition, the day we get the server. Now, I see, not even one of those guys, who rampaged in the forums for an Asia server, in the game.

I'm not blaming people for losing interest in the game. That happens to each and every game , ever created, and the downfall of Legions is simply, inevitable, maybe even close. But what I'm blaming people(the ones who wanted the server so badly) for, is their lack of commitment to the game. It is we, who asked/raged/discussed/cursed for an Asia server, and it's we, who stop playing when we get one. It's like a slap to the guy/people's face(s), who put so much time, effort and money, in what we asked for. So next time, we ask for anything, we'll get the slap in return, remember that.

But really, why am I talking about commitment and responsibility here? We never cared for competition. We just wanted a server, where we could see our rockets launch into the other guy's face, faster than in the US/EU server, so then we may log off and sleep peacefully.We don't give a crap about clans, scrims and all that. We just want to be annoying, throughout the whole game, backstabbing/tking someone while crying out all the taunts we know, using the Sarge voice. And after all that, we come to the forums and say; We need a bigger map rotation/We need duel servers/We want private servers.

To the developers of Legions: Overdrive. On behalf of the incompetent and utterly undeserving Asian community, I sincerely apologize for the troubles, we've caused you. I know now, that we don't deserve any of your attention, and should just be ignored, like the minority we are. Next time, any of us rage for something, be sure to show us the highest resolution of the "..l.," picture. We totally deserve it.

Maxter.

Immanent

Dude, Chill. The wait in the US servers did lose many Asian legionairres, but it made playing in low ping a hella lot more fun. Just hang in there for a bit.

Karnage

Private Tester
I suspect that once we get the ability to host private servers things might get better again. Who knows? Right now I ping worse in the SG server than I do in the US so I play in the US at 250 ping. However, even if the SG server were up I would probably still end up playing in the US because there are just too many idiots in the SG server who don't care about playing the game. It is because we have such small numbers that one a-hole can spoil everything. This is why I think that we, as a community, need to stick together and correct the behaviour of the one or two idiots who are making this game no fun for the rest of us. To be fair though, I have noticed that a lot of the time it's people coming from the EU servers who TK in our server and then leave after a while. Until we get admin control or private hosting, that is going to keep happening and there is nothing we can do about it. The other thing is to get organised. We need to organise PUGs and scrims. If we can do that people will start to get the idea hopefully. The problem is that very few get on TS and when they do they don't speak. So we need to encourage people to start using the right tools and using them properly. We need to change the PUB mentality that rules those servers.

It is up to the few people who do know how things work (and could work) to educate the people who don't know. From now on, if someone TKs we should ALL go after them until they quit, for example. The community needs to pull together to make things happen. Let's get some scrims going. Let's organise regular PUGs.

Any other thoughts on how we can fix this?

Mahidhar

Dude, Chill. The wait in the US servers did lose many Asian legionairres, but it made playing in low ping a hella lot more fun. Just hang in there for a bit.

First of all, to make things clear, let me tell you that this isn't a rage post, but a sad one. I did not come out frustrated from a game in the SG server, and posted this here. I have been noticing the happenings in the server and everyday, it gets worse.

Some players are really skilled, but immature. They like to kill people, every time the victims respawn, and to make them feel much better, they start taunting right after they get the kill. This is the first kind.

The second kind is the type which likes to harass women in game. Talking about sexuality and races, and making female players in game, quit in disgust.

Third kind is my least favorite. One that generalizes a group of people, just because they're of one nation. Even cursing the people of that nation. One player got banned because of this, but he's not the only one doing it.

We're a smaller community. A sort, which usually tends to stick close, and voice their problems/opinions together, without any internal conflicts. But after playing under the banner of this community for 3 years, I did not see any such qualities, and believe that I would not, in the future. As you say, we did lose many Asian players, ones that were actually mature, and could reason, but those people were the players of the time, before IA shut down. Now maybe 25 people, play in the server and atleast 15 of them, are of the 3 kinds above.

Playing in low ping is fun, and playing in high ping is not. Now-a-days that statement seems to move in the opposite direction. Just this morning, I played in the American servers. It was fun, even though I had high ping. It's because I was around mature people, and there was a lot less taunt spamming, cursing, and abuse than I normally see in the SG server. As I played, I kept thinking how nice it would be, to have a good ping, and play with these people. On the other hand, I got good ping in the SG server, but the server got many of these bad apples, to make me wanna go back to playing in the American servers, while "enduring" the lag issues. Like Carnage always says, it's Murphy's Law.

So, my point is, our "community" will never get better. Might as well not let it, see the light.

Karnage

Private Tester
Karnage.. how do you hof at 250 ping? You must have to do everything like 2 seconds ahead of time!
I am a forward thinker...what can I say? :p

Lately though, it's getting really bad. The ping is worst on Hotswap servers and I keep missing things I NEVER missed before. Even Zaha commented on it today. Sigh.

Max, everything you say is valid and I absolutely agree with you about the problems but I don't agree that there is no hope. I want to believe. And I think that the people who do play properly can help if we all pull together. Let's have a community meeting about this in TS some time. Obviously it is reaching critical mass and we need to do something desperately.

Immanent

Hoffing and chasing with clusters isn't too bad in 280 ping btw.

Ontopic(ish): Those of you that liked Mahidar's post, which are not Asian players, I do not think that you grasp this situation fully. Until you have actually come to the server and played with us, don't simply like his post. I, in no manner, am questioning the validity of Mahidar's post. To re-iterate: join our server and play with us. You will see some major aspects of gameplay that need to be addressed.

Royalty

The Aussie
The one I'm disappointed in, is not the game, but the Asian/Aussie players.
The reason many Aussie players aren't seen on the Singapore server, is because 50% of Australians ping worse in the SJ server than they do in the US servers.

Mahidhar

I don't know if it's exactly 50%, but I can say that the others who ping well in the server, have stopped playing here completely. Jedics is one of those guys, and the reason he stopped playing, was because the server's always filled with idiots, who'd love to do stuff to get people to rage quit. Simply put, he's one of the first people who gave up on this community, and I do not blame him for that.

Karnage

Private Tester
The community is more than just a few of those idiots so for anyone to 'give up on the community' for that reason, is simply a generalisation and totally unfair to all the people who have been trying to make things work. This game is a work in progress and so are the communititties (sic) for that matter. Those people who jump ship now should not have started in the first place when this game came back after IA. Let them go I say. Go play your other games. One day this game is going to be really kickass and it is going start a new kind of genre, even and when that day comes the people who are going to be the most rewarded are the people who stuck it out, through thick and thin. Our reward will be great I tell you.

Hoffing and chasing with clusters isn't too bad in 280 ping btw.
Perhaps (and this is meant for a different thread but I HAVE to answer) but a HoF by definition is not going to be chasing, if he is a good HoF. He is going to be the big guy with the flag that everyone wants to kill. He is going to be the guy that every capper counts on to be home to catch that last ditch throw before they died. It is then that 250+ping makes it shitty.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Mahidhar, Get Fraps out and start screenshotting those people who do behave badly ingame and insult people, Seymour will happily place IP bans down on them. Once they are gone, there's more room for the people who actually want to play.

Synista

I don't know if it's exactly 50%, but I can say that the others who ping well in the server, have stopped playing here completely. Jedics is one of those guys, and the reason he stopped playing, was because the server's always filled with idiots, who'd love to do stuff to get people to rage quit. Simply put, he's one of the first people who gave up on this community, and I do not blame him for that.
Happens everywhere, some people can ignore it some can't

Vinzyboy23

I remember Carnage saying that some Asians players are just kids. But some Asians are good and they're young.

But hell, where did the good Asian players gone to?

57thSylph

We all (at least for 57th players) know that we can ask Seymour for help, we all know we could use a dev's help to place an IP ban, because we have done so in the past. These "idiots" we are talking about are people who don't play seriously, people who llama grab, people who only play DM and not CTF, people who play like he/she is the only one on their team, people who just taunt the *chocolate cookies* out of their keyboard etc. These are not bannable offenses but still drives many of us crazy. Don't tell me because it is a pub. Hell, a US pub is way better than that. I could have loads of fun just playing one game in the US servers, just because people are doing what they should do, not fooling around. Lately I have only seen 3-4 people in the Asia server just playing dm. There just aren't enough game going on.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I have heard stuff like this before with us, but never with this much intensity. I'll stop by sometimes and check it out.