A guide for newbloods?

THEredhoodieguy

I'm just now finding out about LO after a very long break from the original Legions. I was a noob there and I'm one here as well. I did a quick search and didn't really come up with any guides or tips for noobs, or "newbloods" as we're called here. So I was wondering if anyone would care to post a glossary of Legions specific terms and maybe some tips to help out a newblood. For instance, I loved playing with the outrider because I love moving really, really fast. However, I was always getting shot down and could never hit anyone, any tips on aiming/dodging while moving fast?

Sulazoh

Ill say that i was extremely lucky to find that page while frantically searching terms up on google.
Was very helpfull, And i very much understand where your coming from Theredhoodieguy!
I too am trying to learn it all!
Sulazoh~

Dacil

yes definitely give feedback on what really helps you about that thread! it'll help us try and be more clear if something needs clarification

THEredhoodieguy

Well for starters, I would love to see some tips beyond just the very basics of the game. If you play around with the game for a while and read the key bindings and such, you'll probably be on your way to getting the basics.
It might be more helpful, however, to make a guide on etiquette for the game. And by that I mean, what positions can I best fill when I'm better at navigating at high speeds? What sort of behavior is considered unacceptable for this game? What's the best way to practice your aiming ability? How do I figure out a route to get the flag without getting shot in the process? What is dueling? Is it ok for me to sit on the edge of the map and snipe? I know that for many questions the answer is experience/trial and error, but it'd be nice to see a comprehensive guide.

MJ1284

Well for starters, I would love to see some tips beyond just the very basics of the game. If you play around with the game for a while and read the key bindings and such, you'll probably be on your way to getting the basics.
It might be more helpful, however, to make a guide on etiquette for the game. And by that I mean, what positions can I best fill when I'm better at navigating at high speeds? What sort of behavior is considered unacceptable for this game? What's the best way to practice your aiming ability? How do I figure out a route to get the flag without getting shot in the process? What is dueling? Is it ok for me to sit on the edge of the map and snipe? I know that for many questions the answer is experience/trial and error, but it'd be nice to see a comprehensive guide.

I'll try to tackle your questions one by one:

What's the best way to practice your aiming ability?
Application already mentioned his database, but I'll point out one specific guide new players should glance through:
http://www.legionsdatabase.com/weapon-guide
Best way to practice your aiming ability is to duel with people (who are prefertably equally skilled) and observe how your projectiles shoot out of your weapons. As a quick tip, aim leading & predicting your enemy's movement is crucial.

what positions can I best fill when I'm better at navigating at high speeds?
Refer to The_Phroo's CTF guide, it'll give you good idea what roles utilize high speed and what roles are more stationary:
http://www.legionsplayers.com/articles/ctf-basics/
Cappers & Chasers are more dependant on speed than Home Defense & Offense/Distractors (who are more dependant on dueling* skills)

What sort of behavior is considered unacceptable for this game?
Same ones that applies to most other games: Teamkilling, making teams uneven intentionally, chat spamming and flaming are certain ways to get hated. Then there's "llamaing" (explained in The_Phroo's guide) and "rabbiting" which means cruising all over the map with high speed while you're holding the flag (easily accomplished on larger maps), neither of these are bannable offenses but they're scoffed by many players.
**O-Sniping is another debatable thing, on one hand people find it annoying while other people find it mostly useless waste of time, not bannable but will make you look dweep in front of others.

How do I figure out a route to get the flag without getting shot in the process?
Refer to Disci's link "Legions capping, skill and other videos", you'll find plenty of flag route videos there. In some cases you can't help but get shot at, but that gives you reason to ask your teammates to harrass enemy defenders.

What is dueling?
*Dueling means 1 vs 1 fights. It's a good way to measure ones aim & movement skills, only way to get better at it is to get into duels constantly.

Is it ok for me to sit on the edge of the map and snipe?
** O-Sniping (Offensive Sniping) is, as I mentioned before, accepted but scoffed by many players. It won't be very effective though since new LR has diminished damage on longer ranges.

Does this satisfy your curiosity? :)

Mahidhar

Oh, they all look helpful at the beginning...

Here's a nice tip: Spectate and imitate. Try watching a Public game or two, and check out what roles people are taking. You'll figure out how to help your team, in no time.

Siantlark

I think he means to follow other players and copy what they're doing. Or get beat up many times and learn that way.

Mahidhar

Let me just spec this epic godly player with a non-existent observe mode. MmH.

I wasn't talking about the spectator mode. For example, if the newcomer wants to know how capping works. He could check how the cappers are working towards stealing the flag. He could follow them on routes, and even though he may not catch up to them, to be able to complete the route, he'll get a basic idea of capping.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
He could follow them on routes, and even though he may not catch up to them, to be able to complete the route, he'll get a basic idea of capping.

Very hard to do it without observer mode I'm afraid. Tried it yesterday trying to teach someone a speed run on blade run.