Pub Fluidity and Server Space

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I think that every time I launch legions at peek times I just see one server (normally small) full, rest of them completely empty. So I was thinking, maybe once a small server is full it transfers all of the players to a large server so that people have the chance to join? It just really sucks when you want a game of legions but there is only one small server with players on but it's full.
Obviously player-hosted servers will fix this.

GReaper

Grumpy
I could shut down the small maps servers and reconfigure the large maps servers a bit, however would we end up with the exact same situation but with 20 players instead of 16?

Any thoughts?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I just hate it when America wakes up in the morning and spends all day on the Euro servers and never ever switches over to American ones... That's what bugs me :/

Propkid

Not an ideal one, but it might lead you to some better idea:
Get spectator mode going, add ~8 or so spectator-only slots on small CTF servers. Once that is full move those people to 2nd server/ hint them to do so. Basically the raw idea is to get some sort of 'lobby' going.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Not an ideal one, but it might lead you to some better idea:
Get spectator mode going, add ~8 or so spectator-only slots on small CTF servers. Once that is full move those people to 2nd server/ hint them to do so. Basically the raw idea is to get some sort of 'lobby' going.
Really doubt people are going to wait in the lobby for that long. :/
Although It's a good idea, I think that when people do suggest to move server it's ignored, so maybe when a certain command can set off "A player has requested to move server." or something. I can't think of anything else.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I feel that removing the large server and replacing it with another small server would be a good idea. Never see anyone in there due to the maps that are in there. I feel like we'd see two servers going if one small server was full then.

Skutki

I feel that removing the large server and replacing it with another small server would be a good idea. Never see anyone in there due to the maps that are in there. I feel like we'd see two servers going if one small server was full then.
Quite a few people play there occasionally. There's always lots of noobs there for some reason so it's cool to help out and such.
Also, you must love repetitiveness, right? Small maps are overplayed, removing large maps server is the stupidest idea I've seen so far...

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Quite a few people play there occasionally. There's always lots of noobs there for some reason so it's cool to help out and such.
Also, you must love repetitiveness, right? Small maps are overplayed, removing large maps server is the stupidest idea I've seen so far...

Imo, you want to know who starts servers? Either people 'trickle' on or there is some organised group that starts public's off when there's no players on there. Many reasonable players don't play large maps very often and there's a reason for that. There hasn't been an actual large server game for literally months (by actual, I mean full) perhaps there is a reason for that? I just feel that two small map servers would greatly help. Hell, the large server doesn't even have to be removed if there is a 'large' public vote for it.

Regardless, everything ^ deserves to be trailed and then see how it all works out - if it helps player flow or doesn't help.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
It'd require work, but if the server list was made into an IRC client for #legions, you'd have your lobby right there.

Propkid

shrinked large maps
:] I just imagined a legionairre standing on a tower smaller than him.

And unfortunately I have to admit that MJ is somewhat right: NEW maps. But not just any new maps: new small maps. Stygian doesn't count, it's awful for pubs ;/.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
It'd require work, but if the server list was made into an IRC client for #legions, you'd have your lobby right there.
Yeah, I like that idea, I suppose it doesn't have to be IRC, but just some way of checking the servers without having the game open?
It'd be a way of boosting game activity and having more communication in pubs.

Skutki

Many reasonable players don't play large maps very often and there's a reason for that. There hasn't been an actual large server game for literally months (by actual, I mean full) perhaps there is a reason for that?
Uh well some of the large maps suck and a full large map server is more than all of the online euro players at any time? :D
But removing the large map server... how does that help? I understand removing the crappy large maps like Blade Run and Gorge...

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
But removing the large map server... how does that help? I understand removing the crappy large maps like Blade Run and Gorge...

Hell, the large server doesn't even have to be removed if there is a 'large' public vote for it.

Its just my personally opinion that it should. Two servers with better map rotation (to include some 'large' maps, i.e. gorge) I think would be better for habouring more players into the servers, instead of leaving some people join the duel server instead.