Thank you! A reflection on the Legions/Tribes community.

Royalty

The Aussie
Just a heads up that this post will be x-posted to a variety of subreddits and other forums. I'll explain why later.

If you are in a rush, don't like long posts or hate sentimentalism, please don't bother reading. I won't be upset.

---

Some of you may know me, others may not.

I'm probably younger than most of you - I'm finishing up high school this year.

As such, I never really got to play any of the original Tribes games.

My first exposure to any game with skiing was Fallen Empire : Legions. I started playing this is 2008, and boy did I have a blast. I was only 11 years old at the time, and as a result I don't remember too much of my FE:L experiences, but I do remember my naive llama grabs and insatiable desire to prove myself.

Instant Action (IA), the creators of FE:L began updating their website for some time (a year or so from memory?) and the game was made unavailable. It later turned out that they would close down, and FE:L was dead until it's revival (in Nov 2010) by BugsPray and the other devs.

The revival, now coined Legions: Overdrive was infectious. Everyone in the small remaining community was bursting with energy, and it was the passion of individuals such as Jordahan, Fixious and SeymourGore which confirmed the reasons I loved Legions.

Despite this enthusiasm, the game was "doomed" from the beginning. The licensing agreement with IA prevented any monetisation, meaning the devs were working voluntarily, and that advertising was limited. Furthermore, the shutdown of IA before Legions: Overdrive was announced meant that the vast majority of the original playerbase was unaware of its existence.

By this time, Australian servers (yeah I'm Australian) didn't exist in Legions (understandably, because of monetisation restrictions) and I played with a solid 200-300 ping for a year. When player hosted servers were released, there simply wasn't the playerbase. I think at this point in time there were probably only 3-5 Aussies/Kiwis actually consistently playing Legions.

Regardless, I stuck by it, as did others.

At this same time (Dec 2011), beta keys became available for *Tribes: Ass-End*. Understandably, we lost a lot of players to T:A. I too, played extensively, lured by the sizeable playerbase that had miraculously appeared out of nowhere, and the promise of sweet 40 ping, allowing me to chase to my full potential.

Again, the experience was bittersweet for me. My laptop was pretty shitty, and I would run T:A on minimum graphics with 20-30 FPS.

It was also clear that T:A had many problems. As I had never previously played a Tribes game, my understanding of its characterstics came from Legions. I thought that in comparison, T:A was slow and sluggish. Jets were weak and height/speed were minimal. Other issues were the lack of directional control when skiing or jet packing, the fact that spinfusors had no (little) inheritance, and that the game was riddled with hitscan weapons.

I think, that ultimately, T:A was a good thing for the Tribes community. Hear me out.

T:A was a lot of fun at times. I pretty much spent all my time as Pathfinder, chasing around. The classic "Tribes-esque" features that one dreamed about kept me around, and the introduction of the Blinkfusor made it really enjoyable chasing. I ended up logging around 800 games, then left, frustrated with the game's overall flaws.

T:A also fuelled the playerbase, as I mentioned earlier. In mid 2013 a good 10-20 members of the Tribes Australia New Zealand (TANZ) community ended up playing Legions with me, consistently every weekend for a month on my server. This was heaps of fun, and we spammed CTF, but also Team Rabbit - enjoying some of Legion's most redeeming qualities - it's skiing and jetpacking. This was again short-lived, as when I went overseas for two months, unable to play, the Australian Legions scene never continued. I stopped playing both Legions and T:A after this.

Finally, T:A, to some limited degree reunited the Tribes community. It was damn nowhere near perfect, but at least we had a somewhat unified community. It brought everyone together, at least in the beginning, when hopes were high.

This is important, as it kept us together afters years of no new Tribes games.

---

I'm aware Legions still has PuBs going occasionally, although there are no Aussie players left.

I have no clue how many individuals here still play T:A or any of the other Tribes games.

Ultimately, there's no denying that everybody is "in hibernation", waiting for "the game" that will satisfy everyone's wants and desires for a Tribes game.

---

These past few days, I looked back at my post history on [the Legions forums](forums.legionsoverdrive.com). I'm one of the top 20 posters there, with over 1000 posts since Nov 2010.

It's funny, looking back and seeing how much I've changed over the past 5 years, as an individual. I can see all my post history, and see what an arrogant, naive kid I was (my username was Royalty... where the hell did I pull that from?). Don't get me wrong, I'm not yet some wise old man like SeymourGore, but I have grown up.

I look back at my posts, and I appreciate all the older guys for putting up with me. You'll never fully understand, that you - one day, were very similar to me as a teenager - arrogant, rude and childish - you didn't get to see this change documented on the internet, but believe me, this was once you.

The fact that the community stuck by me and supported me is astounding. We bonded together as a whole, and pushed through hard times. Even now, this subreddit continues to push through hard times, but always united, together because of a passion for Tribes-like games, and a bond that we have with our fellow players, some of whom you guys probably played with back in T1.

It truly is an amazing community, so thank you for that.

---

I do hope that with the acceleration in the development of 'Midair', the teaser released yesterday, pre-alpha gameplay coming soon at PAX, that its eventual release will be a great success, and reunite this community that has worked so hard to keep the dream alive, despite many hardships over the years.

I want to thank the Midair dev team for their hard work and persistence. Best of luck for the future. I'll always be here to support you, and to hopefully playtest the alpha/beta, as will the rest of the community.

As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, this will be x-posted to other subbreddits and forums, since our wider community is so disjointed. T:A had its flaws, and was unable to satisfy the entire community, so it remained partitioned.

I'm hoping that one game will eventually unite us. I really want that game to be Midair, because I have faith in the dev team, and because I (and countless others) have stood by them all these years.

I hope to see us all as one community in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, if you got this far.

Jello

Contributor
images
images
CommentPhotos.com_1406570831.jpg

Last edited:

Frez

Wow that was such a great post ! I'm sharing numerous things you mentioned and because, as a French kid who's started playing this when I was 12, I'm happy to see people has enjoyed this game so much like I did. And it was not just a game, but a real experience that I was facing during my transition from childhood to adulthood.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, good post. Your experience with Legions was very similar to how mine was with the original Tribes. I got the game when I was 16 (got a Packard Bell PC for my birthday) and it was my main online multiplayer community for a number of years. Unfortunately, as things normally go, there eventually came a time when I drifted away from the game (due to life events, shrinking community, and whatnot). It was a nice surprise when FEL came along and I was able to relive that same sense of community again.

The nice thing about these FPS+Z gaming communities is that we will all usually cross each others paths again. Be it with this Midair or another similar title down the road. The genre doesn't have a bunch of choices to choose from, so we're bound to come across each other again - hopefully with a game that's not a heartbreaker like Legions or T:A. Love to see a repeat of the longevity and strength of the original Tribes games. If only a developer would get smart and launch a kickstarter for a 'spiritual successor' to Starsiege: Tribes like what 'Pillars of Eternity' was for Baldur's Gate. C'mon, Mich Perry, and make that happen, you big dork!

As for my age, I'm only 32 - not even that old! If there's anyone in this community who's gotten old, it's loc. Dude will be pushing 54 this year (or something like that).

And Stilgar - last I heard he was enjoying his twilight years in a retirement home.

Royalty

The Aussie
Love to see a repeat of the longevity and strength of the original Tribes games. If only a developer would get smart and launch a kickstarter for a 'spiritual successor' to Starsiege: Tribes like what 'Pillars of Eternity' was for Baldur's Gate. C'mon, Mich Perry, and make that happen, you big dork!.

I'm hoping Hi-Rez does sell the IP, looks like they're just planning on sitting on it though :(

As for my age, I'm only 32 - not even that old! If there's anyone in this community who's gotten old, it's loc. Dude will be pushing 54 this year (or something like that).

No, you're definitely not that old! But you do indeed spin eloquent words of wisdom!

I remember playing with Stilgar and the rest of the 57th back in the early days! I loved those grumpy old-timers :)

TylerMarket

Heisenberg.
I remember playing with you and your aussie buddies on your server..it was always fun even though they were practically brand new

Royalty

The Aussie
I remember playing with you and your aussie buddies on your server..it was always fun even though they were practically brand new
Ah yes, I remember you dropping in to our server a couple of times :)

That was a good month or so, reminiscent of the early FE:L days where the Aussie scene was quite impressive in size.

Whatever happened when the aussies came back and you guys locked your servers with password? We would be seeing like 16 of you aussies playing last summer, and I'm sure alot of americans would have been perfectly happy to drop in and keep the server full.

Royalty

The Aussie
Whatever happened when the aussies came back and you guys locked your servers with password? We would be seeing like 16 of you aussies playing last summer, and I'm sure alot of americans would have been perfectly happy to drop in and keep the server full.
Might have been playing a PUG, although I don't remember putting a password on the server I occasionally hosted.

Are you sure it was an Aussie group?

In any case, I hope Midair comes soon enough and is successful enough that we can have Aussie PUGs again.

Royalty

The Aussie
Love you too buddy, best of luck with developing the game.

I've been trying to rally some support on www.bittah.com, the largest Aussie/NZ Tribes community. They seem to have become more and more interest as footage has emerged and some of the players they respect have spoken highly of Midair after the playtest.

Here's a link to the thread if you have time to have a read : https://www.bittah.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21803

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Love you too buddy, best of luck with developing the game.

I've been trying to rally some support on www.bittah.com, the largest Aussie/NZ Tribes community. They seem to have become more and more interest as footage has emerged and some of the players they respect have spoken highly of Midair after the playtest.

Here's a link to the thread if you have time to have a read : https://www.bittah.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21803
Just wanna say, we do check Bittah too. We are reading nearly all thoughts and feedback regarding our game, so thanks!