New map: Zion

Teddy945

Here is my new map for anyone who wants to check it out.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6o25wuah32pa0dc/Maps.zip
I'm not sure if I made the download files right, so please tell me if the download doesn't work.
yeayea_zpsf88330ea.png

It doesn't look too pretty but I think its one of my better terrains to play on
Tell me what you think!

Reactions: KrO

Fixious

Test Lead
In the first picture you showed I thought it'd be huge, but it actually feels pretty good. Close to Elegiac size I'd say. Definitely has some viable routes as well. I'd probably lower the terrain around the flags though, since I kept hitting them when doing a side route after I picked up the flag. I'd also add some ammo stations near the flag, instead of just on top. Certain parts of the terrain need smoothing out as well.

http://imgur.com/a/Zlzc2

The first image shows where the terrain should be lowered a bit. The next are the areas that need smoothing. The last image is where you could place an ammo box. Nice job overall though.

Teddy945

In the first picture you showed I thought it'd be huge, but it actually feels pretty good. Close to Elegiac size I'd say. Definitely has some viable routes as well. I'd probably lower the terrain around the flags though, since I kept hitting them when doing a side route after I picked up the flag. I'd also add some ammo stations near the flag, instead of just on top. Certain parts of the terrain need smoothing out as well.

http://imgur.com/a/Zlzc2

The first image shows where the terrain should be lowered a bit. The next are the areas that need smoothing. The last image is where you could place an ammo box. Nice job overall though.
Yea I also kept bumping into the ground when capping I'll go and figure how to fix that. But I did want to keep the big drop offs because I was going for a canyon type of feel but If you think it inturups gameplay too much I'll change that too. and I'll add amo in the base ;) thanks!

Jello

Contributor
Good map, needs smoothing in a couple places like fixi said and in my opinion the only way to fix that flag stand is to add a "hall_top" or whatever its called in the editor... but that's what I think. all in all good map

OldFormerPlayer

Can we please just get Fixi, and Teddy as official map makers, and have admins like Pop or Jordan just greenlight maps? I understand you guys want to have community participation, but the time it takes a map to hit the servers is what kills our community. Just 5 maps, not all of them have to be good, just new, would keep the community hooked. There are things to be transparent about, and other things you just have to rush through straight to our servers.

Alot of the community hates Stygian, but it kept people hooked when it first came out.

Fixious

Test Lead
If it were up to me I'd probably add a number of user-made maps to the server, then manually bring them up whenever there are players. If they like them then they can be added to the official rotation. If not, they can still be on the server at least and brought up to spice things up every once in a while.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Can we please just get Fixi, and Teddy as official map makers, and have admins like Pop or Jordan just greenlight maps? I understand you guys want to have community participation, but the time it takes a map to hit the servers is what kills our community. Just 5 maps, not all of them have to be good, just new, would keep the community hooked. There are things to be transparent about, and other things you just have to rush through straight to our servers.

Alot of the community hates Stygian, but it kept people hooked when it first came out.

I have no problem with that except legions already got fat size wise. Adding maps willy nilly without trimming some of the more unpopular ones would be bad. If people don't mind that happening i'd go for the idea.

OldFormerPlayer

I have no problem with that except legions already got fat size wise. Adding maps willy nilly without trimming some of the more unpopular ones would be bad. If people don't mind that happening i'd go for the idea.

What do you mean by trimming some of the more unpopular ones? Like revising it, or taking down unpopular maps?

Xtreme

shaska's bff
He means the client is already around 500mb - it used to be less than half that size (although tbh it's still tiny compared to most games today)

Fixious

Test Lead
If Legions needs to lose a few pounds we could likely rip out all of the Engineer code and assets (despite how sad it'd make me), along with all of the unused stats code since that doesn't look like it'll get fixed. It'll at least clean up the console some. As for maps, those would have to go to a vote or something. Personally, I guess Mirage and Blade Run could get the axe, along with maybe Shoreline, Outcast, Grassy (rip you fat bitch), Qualm, Alderran Catwalks, and Genesis. There are other maps that don't get played, like Gorge, Stygian, and Sleepwalker, but I'd hate to see those ones go. I'd add Nebula Station to the list as well but it seems to get some playtime on the TDM server.

OldFormerPlayer

If Legions needs to lose a few pounds we could likely rip out all of the Engineer code and assets (despite how sad it'd make me), along with all of the unused stats code since that doesn't look like it'll get fixed. It'll at least clean up the console some. As for maps, those would have to go to a vote or something. Personally, I guess Mirage and Blade Run could get the axe, along with maybe Shoreline, Outcast, Grassy (rip you fat bitch), Qualm, Alderran Catwalks, and Genesis. There are other maps that don't get played, like Gorge, Stygian, and Sleepwalker, but I'd hate to see those ones go. I'd add Nebula Station to the list as well but it seems to get some playtime on the TDM server.

yeah, there should be an official map vote held by the community which lasts maybe 2-3 months, so it'll get the view it needs for the things we need to cut, i agree.

BUT, is there anyway possible for admins to upload a map but not include it into the rotation YET, only bringing it up when there's an admin and some players to get the feel of it? if players dont like it, admins can simply change it to frosty and then have the map cut out in the next update.

Defender

If you deleted all that stuff you would brake some custom maps, and brake my mod, not that you care.
It would be easier to just revert back and play late 2012 version of legions, you know the version before grassy, and all the deployables.
I have that version laying around, and uploaded it for the devs and fixious, to get when they lost the old files.. Why not just make a classic server mod, that disables all that extra stuff, removes unwanted maps from the rotation, etc?.

Last edited:

Poponfu

Lead Developer
If you deleted all that stuff you would brake some custom maps, and brake my mod, not that you care.
It would be easier to just revert back and play late 2012 version of legions, you know the version before grassy, and all the deployables.
I have that version laying around, and uploaded it for the devs and fixious, to get when they lost the old files.. Why not just make a classic server mod, that disables all that extra stuff, removes unwanted maps from the rotation, etc?.

Any custom assets you added for maps you got in the official rotation will stay , I dont think were any though. All the structures from any maps the get removed will stay also. Would not want to gimp the editor. Its lego like building of maps is pretty nice for map makers.

--

For the sake of trying to bring a consistent prime-time back to life , what do you guys think about putting hotswap to a rotation like:
Nivo - low pop
Reactor - low / mid pop
Elegiac - low / mid pop
Frost - all
Fallout - High
Zenith - High
(should whiteout be in here?)
New maps like Chillout or Zion or whatever else comes along added on a trial basis and if they are server killers take them out. This of course assuming we can start getting full games on a more regular basis to find out. Maps I did not mention would not be cut except for the ones fixi mentioned mostly.

Last edited:

Fixious

Test Lead
yeah, there should be an official map vote held by the community which lasts maybe 2-3 months, so it'll get the view it needs for the things we need to cut, i agree.

BUT, is there anyway possible for admins to upload a map but not include it into the rotation YET, only bringing it up when there's an admin and some players to get the feel of it? if players dont like it, admins can simply change it to frosty and then have the map cut out in the next update.

Yes, this is what I was referring to in my other post where I said an admin could manually bring up a map, and if the players liked it then it could be added to the official rotation. You can add any number of maps you want to the server (well, there might be a limit) and simply give it a weight of 0, that way it'd never come up unless an admin calls for it. The weight value, which ranges from 0 to 1, dictates how often it comes up. For example, Moonshine is at 0.5, while Frostbyte is at 0.8.

The idea of a classic server has been floating in my (and likely others) head for a while. If he was interested enough, Triad would probably do it. He has the older files and server knowledge.

For the sake of trying to bring a consistent prime-time back to life , what do you guys think about putting hotswap to a rotation like:
Nivo - low pop
Reactor - low / mid pop
Elegiac - low / mid pop
Frost - all
Fallout - High
Zenith - High
(should whiteout be in here?)
New maps like Chillout or Zion or whatever else comes along added on a trial basis and if they are server killers take them out. This of course assuming we can start getting full games on a more regular basis to find out. Maps I did not mention would not be cut except for the ones fixi mentioned mostly.

Honestly I'd just keep the rotation at Frost, Reactor, Nivo, and some other small map (OTTN?). Even when there are 10 or so players Elegiac often kills the mood because of its size. Fallout only makes things worse. If they want a bigger map like Fallout/Zenith, an admin can switch it. Alternatively, lower the cap limit on those bigger maps to 5 or something. Having it scale based on player count would be lovely, but not really feasible these days. How far did Xzanth get in his map voting function?