new hosting possibility in Australia!

I just tested the ping and upload at a cafe near my house where the ping was 4ms and the upload was over 4 megabit. This is WAY better than what I get at home (20ms/.8 Mbts upload) and made me think that I could potentially host a server at my house that would be sufficient for Aussies to use.

I dont yet know why their service is so much better than mine but if I can get it at my house the ping is 5 times lower and 4 times more upload of data than when I used to host back in the IA days with erratic results.

I know there are NDA things needed to be filled out etc. but there is some hope for legions in australia with such a superior service. I have a laptop I am about to upgrade from, it is a MBP 2.4 core 2 with 4 gig of ram and 500 gig 72 rpm HDD, would this be a good enough machine to use as a dedicated server as I would be willing to devote it as a legions only machine for the cause?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
How exactly does this cafe idea work? How much are they charging you to use their hosting service?

Seymour was reading it and almost thought you meant that you would be using the laptops wireless signal to 'borrow' their internet access. Hohohoho!

Anyhow, I'll let BugsPray know what you found and I'm sure he'll get back in touch with you.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I think jedics is saying that he wants to host a dedicated Australian legions server on his laptop, which of course will be used solely to host a legions server and nothing else. He then can play on it from the cafe near his house. Which in turn all other Australian Legion players can then play on his laptop server also. This is possible yes?

I don't know the requirements for a dedicated server, I'd need BugsPray to weigh in on the possibility here. I'm doubting the plausibility of a dedicated server being successfully run on a home connection (unless it's especially beefy), but again, I'm just pulling thoughts out of my arse. I really have no idea on the requirements.

Seymour's working evenings (normally when Bugs is on), but when I have a chance I'll pester him again about this thread and Aussie deds in general. Bugs loves to be pestered by Seymour, and he shows this Love by yelling at Seymour.

ocarina_boy

I dont yet know why their service is so much better than mine but if I can get it at my house the ping is 5 times lower and 4 times more upload of data than when I used to host back in the IA days with erratic results.

How do you intend to get the same internet performance at your house as like from the cafe? I apologize I'm very much ignoramus on computer infomationy thingies but wish to be enlightened on such matters because if this is a legitimate spark of hope for Australian Legions, then onward! Onward I say!

the cafe is using a public free internet service provided by internode and it is no different from a home connection, actually a home one will likely be better as only myself and my house mate would be on it, who knows how many ppl were using the public one at the time. I can also get a connection with better download as 4 Mbit isnt even as good as what I currently have. Ive not had any replies from internode or the OD crew for that matter about the possibility, I know they have IP issues regarding letting individuals host but surely this can be solved with a NDA as I am no different from a business that runs servers that they are currently doing.