Individuals' League

Propkid

Not all of us are/want to be in a clan, but most of us do enjoy playing competetively. I suggest an official, regular (monthly?) FFA or 1v1 continental league (and if somehow Legions end up on Dreamhack/Quakecon then solo championships should also be there).

Dacil

maybe we'll do a gauntlet every now and then from TS, those are fun and are composed of two teams with mixed players from different clans... i just remember being in an FFA DM competition and...a lot of the people wouldn't show up when they needed to and it took several months to get to the finals...and i ended up quitting the finals (along with all the other finalists) because no one could figure out when to do it...i will never forget that b/c of the huge headache it caused......sooo idk its a nice idea if its directed correctly, otherwise if you show up in TS for PUGs we might all decide to do a gauntlet, but its sort of a non-planned, do it at last second thing if we decide we're all bored lol

i guess im not seeing how else you can have a solo championship unless its deathmatch... am i being slow again? lol...and if its CTF isn't that was PUGs are for? (when its not clan vs. clan) a competitive practice/fun time for individuals

CapnSlaps

that would be nice propkid ^
It's cool that we can duel in Legions, that might sound dumb but a long time ago I was playing it and I challenged someone to a duel. He said: "What do you mean 'duel'? This isn't pokemon!" in most FPS games duels are pointless:(

OmniNept

Actionaut
... i just remember being in an FFA DM competition and...a lot of the people wouldn't show up when they needed to and it took several months to get to the finals...and i ended up quitting the finals

She quit because she had NOTHING LEFT TO PROVE.

Disci

Old man
Hahaha, Legions 1on1 and even FFA would be so boring to watch that no one cares about it.

My suggestion in "what I would want to see in competition" thread was mostly a joke and this game will never be in DH or QC events. People just don't care enough about these kind of games, sorry.

Propkid

FFA league and people not showing up is something that I actually thought about already.

What we could do is simply have regular ongoing/flexible 1v1 leagues that could be split up in groups (huh).
Say we start the league with ~15 players signed up. All they need to do is join a TS channel/ become friends on say Xfire/ look out for each other. When any 3+ players that signed up are online they could all arrange to play a match right away; one of them would host the game and the rest would join and play. After the match(es) are finished with they all fill in the results (with screenshots) in a special thread.

For each match there would be only one winner decided, no matter how many players have joined. Tt would be an elimination-based league (read: cup). To make things more fun and fair I came up with this idea for organizing the matches.
If only 2 players are in then the loser gets eliminated.​
If there are 3 players playing then the last one is eliminated and the top 2 play a 1v1. Loser gets eliminated (I called this way of playing a cup elimination rounds)​
If there are 4 players up then the last one is eliminated, then the top 3 play an FFA like above, then the last one is eliminated etc. etc.​
If there are 5 players up and you still don't know how will it work then I have nothing to say.​
If there is a lot of players (5 or more) playing then the group might get split up into 2 or more smaller groups so that the matches take less time.
If a player needs to quit right after a match and cannot play the next elimination round, that round is to be scheduled for later or forgotten about.
This is a fairer way than the ordinary elimination system, because in larger matches some players do get unlucky with KSteals and spawn locations.
This is a funner way that the ordinary elimination system, because you can start up a match any time and you get to play more matches.

The league forum would contain the list of all signed up players in a single thread called 'League Status'. If a player's name would be crossed out/written in red it'd mean that he has been eliminated and that he can't participate in any more league matches except for when he is hosting. Summarized results of the matches would also be posted in that thread.

Since this is elimination there is only one winner and everyone else looses; there are no positions such as 2nd or 3rd etc. The winner is the last man standing (who isn't eliminated). I'm thinking whether I should add more requirements such as winning against at least 30% of the players that have entered the tournament etc.

Opinions?

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] one of them would host the game and the rest would join and play. [...] Opinions?
FAQ said:
We are investigating ways to allow users to host their own games, but out of security and community unity concerns, for the near future players can only join official dedicated servers.

57thRomance

i just remember being in an FFA DM competition and...a lot of the people wouldn't show up when they needed to and it took several months to get to the finals...and i ended up quitting the finals (along with all the other finalists)
I was in that one too. That really was a pain in the neck. I remember being so serious about it and getting aggravated at people who missed the game. We had to redo ours because it wasn't in a "dedicated" server, a.k.a. Ucan's server. I also got frustrated because I lost against Nighthawk043, an aussie. But he's a cool guy.

w00tyou

The hosting from a legions server is nice because no one gets 0 ping. Like in League of legends.
Also ontopic Gauntlet was fun. We should do it more often.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
I did a lot of competitive 1v1 in Tribes 2 so I'd love to see a duel gametype or something. Same goes for an Arena.

I'd like to see one occasionally, just for fun, but aye, I doubt they'd be as popular as team matches.

Yeah, no one likes losing to aussies. It's like the ultimate mark o' shame.
Easy Goes there.
One day you'll have to admit, although we Aussies don't push out as many gamers, the ones we do average a much higher level. :D
(After all, the only noobs on the Aussie servers were American and European players who hadn't worked out that you want Lower ping, and were playing in our servers with 400 ping.

I was in that one too. That really was a pain in the neck. I remember being so serious about it and getting aggravated at people who missed the game. We had to redo ours because it wasn't in a "dedicated" server, a.k.a. Ucan's server. I also got frustrated because I lost against Nighthawk043, an aussie. But he's a cool guy.
Ah lolz, I remember getting all hyped up over that game. Would have been nice if more than three of us had come to the match. :/