Changes to the Grenade Trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lin

After using Masterluso's wonderful blue glow effect for the grenades, I got kinda disappointed at the black smoke coming out of 'em. I'm really new to modding, and i have no idea how to open those .dds/.dts files, so can somebody here help me out with the grenade trails?

Lin

Thanks. I know you've been working on the trail too, so i thought we might as well collab.
it seems to me that _nrm is the info for the explosion, and _lod is the light reflection.
both of the grenade energy files look like glow information for the grenade itself, and thats about all i've got through.

Lin

yup. saw that, but couldn't open it. beat me to the chase with your gimp skills, eh?

Edit: Tried swapping the file out with anything yet? some of those other particle effects look pretty promising. so far as i can judge based on the file name :rolleyes:.
and I got gimp working. the problem now is that the trail is a bunch of dds images displayed over and over again, so if we want to make a solid beam thing we'll need to make it display alot more often

Fixious

Test Lead
yup. saw that, but couldn't open it. beat me to the chase with your gimp skills, eh?

Edit: Tried swapping the file out with anything yet? some of those other particle effects look pretty promising. so far as i can judge based on the file name :rolleyes:.
and I got gimp working. the problem now is that the trail is a bunch of dds images displayed over and over again, so if we want to make a solid beam thing we'll need to make it display alot more often

Yeah, I was afraid that would happen. I wanted to change it to the Tribes grenade trail, which actually uses like 6 or so different images. I did change it to one of the Tribes grenade trails, but there really isn't a huge difference. I also changed the original file to red as a test, which looked alright. But as long as the rate of reproduction can't be changed, I'll probably leave it alone for now.

Lin

yea. i can't even change the image size. im just gonna end up replacing it with something blank.

masterluso

Hmm, I didn't know anybody would like a simple recoloring enough to call it "wonderful", but thats fine with me :D

Anyway, I'm not really into changing the smoke, but I might play with it. Changing explosions would be fun too.

Lin

I'll leave stuff like that to you 1337 skillzorz. Tried gimp, went like...wait, wut?

masterluso

psst, hey you, yes, you. colors>colorize, then drag the slider things around. or for a fancy golw, new layer, [some gradient], set layer to overlay. have fun.
y32, 1 m 1N ph4CT 4 1337 sk1Ll20R. PHj33r M3h. n008.

Fixious

Test Lead
Hmm, I didn't know anybody would like a simple recoloring enough to call it "wonderful", but thats fine with me :D

Anyway, I'm not really into changing the smoke, but I might play with it. Changing explosions would be fun too.

Who said wonderful? I said alright, as in 'meh'. Also, to whoever decided to make certain files .jng's, I hope you die in a fire.

Lin

You think we should release a pack of color changes for this? It seems pretty easy to do, and I'm sure we could get a rainbow or something with better contrast.

masterluso

If you want a pack, make a pack. If you poke GIMP for a few minutes you'll figure out how to do stuff, it isn't really hard to learn. Anyway, the recolored orange w00tyou posted look better than I expected recolored trails to look. Interest increased.

Lin

I was asking fixious if "we" should make a pack for this, not requesting one. I wanted his go ahead, cuz he kinda pointed out to me how to mess with the coloring stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.