Armour Offline Mode - Suggestion from Defender's Server mods.

Mahidhar

I've seen and played what Defender had to showcase in his server. Even though most of the mods, if not all of them were overpowered. But while I was there, there was one thing that caught my eye. The Armour Offline mode.

Apparently, when a Sentinel with a Mortar equipped, could use it's concussion blast to throw himself or other players to great distances with high speeds. But if the mortar explodes too close to the Sentinel or any other class, it would damage the actual armour. Giving it a jet penalty(inability to jet up for a certain amount of time), and a "damaged core" animation on the back.

I thought this was a great idea and could be implemented into Legions in various ways. One would be to land this penalty on a Sentinel travelling at dangerously high speeds(like 220 etc) will have a heat meter? to notify him of his overly high speed. If the Sentinel fails to reduce the speed, he will be bombed with the jet up penalty. This would especially affect the Sentinel Cappers doing a side route on a large map.

Another place where this could be implemented is on the Outrider, when he shoots a Boost grenade with a rocket on the ground resulting in a more powerful impulse and high speed from the blast. The penalty would hinder the Outrider's ability to jet up after the blast and will force him to think on what to use(combo vs rocket jump vs combo rocket with penalty).

The basic principle here is that when any class attains "in the red" speeds almost instantly(or when Sentinel keeps going at 200+ speed for a while without reducing it), armour of that class would be damaged and goes offline for a short while.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to Defender's server and check it out, to get an idea.

Immanent

I thought this was a great idea and could be implemented into Legions in various ways. One would be to land this penalty on a Sentinel travelling at dangerously high speeds(like 220 etc) will have a heat meter? to notify him of his overly high speed. If the Sentinel fails to reduce the speed, he will be bombed with the jet up penalty. This would especially affect the Sentinel Cappers doing a side route on a large map.

Carnage and co. might hate you for this! :(

Defender

I noticed those modes being to powerful.. But they are fun so I just left everything as it is for now..
The mod needs a lot of tweaking, But I don't want to tweak it to the point where its not crazy fun anymore..
I started modding back on tribes1 in 2000, using tribes Meltdown code.
Then later, on I made a mod like Meltdown for tribes2.
This mod is based in part on the tribes1 and tribes2 mod called Meltdown. The mitzi blast cannon, and the starburst cannon, came from those mods. The original creater of the Meltdown mods, double crossed me in tribes2. He asked me to use his tribes2 source code from meltdown2, and do a meltdown classic. I excepted, and everthing was fine for a few months. Then all sudden he told everyone in the tribes2 mod community, That I had stole his source code. I still have his old post where he admits to falsely accusing me of stilling his code..
He has me up at this link, for all to read..
http://wiki.radiantage.net/index.php?title=Meltdown_2

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I would think that, especially for the sentinel cappers, that this is an unnecessary penalty for great skill. Do you realize how hard it is to get a Sent to go 220? Its hard enough to get an OR over 220 without boost grenades/rocket jumps, so anybody that can get a sent to go over 200 deserves a medal, not some stupid penalty for having the skill to haul fat booty.

Mahidhar

No it's not hard for a Sentinel to go 200 on the right map. And when they do and cap, it's ridiculous. Same goes for Outriders doing that "on the ground rocket+Boost combo" to achieve insane speeds. Both these classes need to be controlled in those areas, and in my opinion this is one effective way to do it.

@Immanent I don't take sides when it comes to balancing a game. I give my feedback and say what is right and logical in my opinion. My friends won't hate me for that.