Allow Bigger Maps

SNAKEOPS

Just as the title says, allow bigger maps to be introduced to the game. Here are some advantages:
  • Bigger maps allows more speed/height making the game more interesting and faster paced.
  • Force chasers to be faster and also forces cappers to be faster in order to get to base on time.
  • It will force players to shoot more accurately, in order to hit targets further away. Thus, increasing the effective range of the average player.
  • LR will be more effective in this map, as you'll be able to see further out.
  • Players will take up multiple positions in order to increase map coverage, which will require players to be aware.
I don't see any argument against big maps other than the fact some people enjoy multiple duels in a tight space, for example: 4 vs 4 flag standoff so please do tell! But, I am sick of a short 10 seconds chase followed by a 5 minute dueling at the enemy base in Nivosus or Frostbyte all day. I didn't know it was CTF/TDM.
imgres

images

The picture above is the ideal kind of map I would play, a long chasing route that I would look forward to.

Also, nivosus may be not so noob friendly, I can see some of you rolling your eyes.

When a new player enters the game, if it's a zenith, the first thing he may notice is the map and base which entices him to explore more.

When it's Nivosus, it's 4 rockets introducing him to the game with LOs at base. In Nivosus, there's little to no chance he'll be left alone since he'll always be within spotting distance.

Since we're on the topic of suggestion, can you guys make the type button from "T" to "Enter"? I've caught new players trying to type while being shot, only to have me tell them to press T in order to type. They were thankful and some continued to play more, but there are of course others that I've probably never got to since I can't be on all the time.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Have you not played Blade Run? That map is massive.

And you can bind your keys to whatever you want.

SNAKEOPS

Have you not played Blade Run? That map is massive.

And you can bind your keys to whatever you want.

It's not in rotation and new players most likely don't know how to change their keybinds since they may not be experienced PC gamers. The default button to open chat is T, why not change it to Enter as most PC games have that and PC gamers would expect that.

SNAKEOPS

Thats Skyrim, not Legions XD. You can make maps 1000 times larger than Bladerun, but nobody will play large maps these days :p

That's true, for the most part. People who aren't fast enough don't like Blade Run and Zenith because they feel useless when Jicker goes really high and fast. So, instead of getting better, they resort to complaining and saying they want smaller maps so that if (Insert fast capper) grabs flag, they can just go to enemy base and wait there. But that's not really CTF there.

Or similarly, use llama and overdrive to cap if they're not a fast capper.

Right now, it's best if you're a LO since you'll be able to do more in-game now. In this so-called CTF mode we play.

Jaymyster

Stefy's right ^. Sorry to tell you this snake, but the existence of much larger maps than we already have, with more players playing on them, is most likely to only happen in the days where the next legions has already taken off and there are custom servers/maps made by fans. As of now, the priority for map making would and should be much more focused on the type of terrain that creates the up-most engaging competition.

And for the record, as much as I LOVE a vast terrain and a lot more players, big maps are unfortunately a complete flop for the most part (in pubs). For the most part, they are one-sided for the majority of the game due to the fact that big maps cannot just easily be front-routed; but rather usually require legitimate routes. What ends up happening is that one team happens to have 1-2 players that actually know a number of routes on the map, while the other team has nothing but front-routers. Too many times have I been in games like this to the point where I get angry if zenith comes up in a pub.

And even for actual competition/pugs, big maps can be very fun to play sometimes; but for the most part, players try to choose maps that allow more of a chasing opportunity.

Fixious

Test Lead
I can't speak for the IA days, but larger maps have never really worked well for Legions: Overdrive. Whether its the size of the playerbase, the large maps we have simply not being good enough, or the concept itself of large maps in Legions. Something makes them not very fun to play on. Larger maps in Tribes such as Scarabre worked because it had that center objective people could tackle, not just the two flags. It also had vehicle play, and later mods added more gameplay variety and depth (classes, packs, deployables, etc). None of which Legions has (though with Engineer and capture points, putting in a center objective now is rather trivial, thus FCNC).

A map like Blade Run requires more than your average team size to give some life to it. A basic 7v7 would essentially be a ghost town on such a large map. Bumping it up to 10's would make the action faster, however it's also favors defense and makes capping almost impossible. When you require such a large distance to cover for cappers only to have them smacking into 5 people huddled around the flag it makes gameplay only that much slower, boring, and frustrating.

I don't enjoy smaller maps for the dueling; I'm terrible at dueling. Smaller/medium sized maps work well at 7's or 8's, which helps balance things and makes gameplay better and faster. For larger maps to work in Legions, more options need to exist to make up for the otherwise boring gameplay.

SNAKEOPS

Stefy's right ^. Sorry to tell you this snake, but the existence of much larger maps than we already have, with more players playing on them, is most likely to only happen in the days where the next legions has already taken off and there are custom servers/maps made by fans. As of now, the priority for map making would and should be much more focused on the type of terrain that creates the up-most engaging competition.

And for the record, as much as I LOVE a vast terrain and a lot more players, big maps are unfortunately a complete flop for the most part (in pubs). For the most part, they are one-sided for the majority of the game due to the fact that big maps cannot just easily be front-routed; but rather usually require legitimate routes. What ends up happening is that one team happens to have 1-2 players that actually know a number of routes on the map, while the other team has nothing but front-routers. Too many times have I been in games like this to the point where I get angry if zenith comes up in a pub.

And even for actual competition/pugs, big maps can be very fun to play sometimes; but for the most part, players try to choose maps that allow more of a chasing opportunity.

I don't understand the majority of your posts, but I'll summarize up my response for what I do know. What do you know about the next legions and what's on it that can determine competition on large maps that would be better there than compared to this version? And players can create custom servers and maps on this version. Shocker, I know. And you say big maps are complete "flop" because the games can be one-sided and so on. So can Nivosus and Frostbyte. Actually, I see it too much on there too. Jicker the only one knowing 10 different routes while enemy team has 10 noobs that just spam front route all day.

I can't speak for the IA days, but larger maps have never really worked well for Legions: Overdrive. Whether its the size of the playerbase, the large maps we have simply not being good enough, or the concept itself of large maps in Legions. Something makes them not very fun to play on. Larger maps in Tribes such as Scarabre worked because it had that center objective people could tackle, not just the two flags. It also had vehicle play, and later mods added more gameplay variety and depth (classes, packs, deployables, etc). None of which Legions has (though with Engineer and capture points, putting in a center objective now is rather trivial, thus FCNC).

A map like Blade Run requires more than your average team size to give some life to it. A basic 7v7 would essentially be a ghost town on such a large map. Bumping it up to 10's would make the action faster, however it's also favors defense and makes capping almost impossible. When you require such a large distance to cover for cappers only to have them smacking into 5 people huddled around the flag it makes gameplay only that much slower, boring, and frustrating.

I don't enjoy smaller maps for the dueling; I'm terrible at dueling. Smaller/medium sized maps work well at 7's or 8's, which helps balance things and makes gameplay better and faster. For larger maps to work in Legions, more options need to exist to make up for the otherwise boring gameplay.

Quarry, Zenith Cauldron, and Mirage were big hits in the IA days compared to other smaller maps. In fact, if you look up on youtube: "InstantAction Fallen Empire Legions" you'll find that the first 4 out 5 videos have large maps such as Blade Run, Zenith, and Quarry with the other 1 video not being a gameplay video.

970leu.png

And can you describe what that something is? Plus, if we had vehicles in-game, people would favor large maps more since it takes less skill to fly some fast aerial aircraft by pressing W vs. moving yourself quickly and trying not to crater. And earlier, you said: "Bumping it up to 10's would make the action faster, however it's also favors defense and makes capping almost impossible. When you require such a large distance to cover for cappers only to have them smacking into 5 people huddled around the flag it makes gameplay only that much slower, boring, and frustrating."

When do you not see that on Nivosus or Frostbyte? Do a side route on nivosus? nope, someone's there in between that tight space. Going for front route on frostbyte? Someone comes down from the bridge and body blocks you.

Fixious

Test Lead
I don't know what something is. It's either playerbase, game mechanics, or crappy large maps in general. Hell it's probably all three.

Plus, if we had vehicles in-game, people would favor large maps more since it takes less skill to fly some fast aerial aircraft by pressing W vs. moving yourself quickly and trying not to crater.

I can't tell if you're saying you want vehicles in the game or not. I simply said Scarabre worked in part because of them. Vehicles on Blade Run or any current Legions map would be lol. It's big but it ain't that big. You could technically create a map large enough where vehicles might be feasible. As it stands now it they really don't fit in the game.
When do you not see that on Nivosus or Frostbyte? Do a side route on nivosus? nope, someone's there in between that tight space. Going for front route on frostbyte? Someone comes down from the bridge and body blocks you.

In shitty 10v10 pubs? Sure. I'm talking about comp or some sort of organized play like PUGs. Catering to the pub scene and balancing around it will kill any life left in Legions. If the people want large maps, start up a server with large maps in the rotation and see how it goes.

Jaymyster

What do you know about the next legions and what's on it that can determine competition on large maps that would be better there than compared to this? And players can create custom servers and maps on this version. Shocker, I know.

It's not what I know about the next legions, it's the fact that there will be a much larger player base so that other (custom) variations of legions can be actively played by a substantial portion of the entire population. As of now, it's difficult to get our players to have a populated game on a different game mode even. That's why it makes more sense to not risk a complete waste of (probably much more) time on a rediculously huge map that will remain untouched for the most part. You yourself can probably see that the previous attempts at custom servers have been periodically populated at best. Our community just isn't there yet.

And you say big maps are complete "flop" because the games can be one-sided and so on. So can Nivosus and Frostbyte. Actually, I see it too much on there too. Jicker the only one knowing 10 different routes while enemy team has 10 noobs that just spam front route all day

Clearly it's possible for one-sided games to exist on every map; I was just saying it is much more likely on large maps due to the fact that cappers who know routes are far more effective on them. There are no call-outs of the capper's direction in pubs. There is only CCE. For this reason, most defenses in pubs completely miss the 2-3 second window of opportunity that they are actually able to damage the incoming capper going 225+.

Fixious

Test Lead
To be clear, I'm not saying I don't want larger maps to be fun or succeed. I'd love for large maps to be viable. In my opinion FCNC and CNC allowed for a map like Grassy (I don't think that'll ever take on a new name
smiley-tongue-out.gif
), which would otherwise be another long and boring Blade Run/Mirage, to become as playable as a map like Elegiac. Hopefully F/CNC and Engineer can be properly implemented to a point where slightly larger maps have some sort of legitimacy.

tree

If there are more players then there would be a bigger chance of playing big maps, but would you actually want to play them? If you're playing 10 vs 10 ctf on blade run, that will give you 7 defence ( 5 of which will attempt to chase ) 1 LO, 1 capper and a noob who is doing nothing. That would not be fun for anybody who can actually play.