Killing Lamas with the mortar - most fun thing ever.

yanom

So i spawn as one of the Sentinel loadouts with the mortar, stand on the side next to the flag, aim the mortar at the flag. Usually the flag is gone, so I wait. Once the flag gets returned, I can always see a lama out of my side vision on the radar, so I pull the trigger, and more often than not, the shell lands right on the flag just as the lama grabs it.

Bang.

little chunks of Outrider fall off the side of the flag pedestal, because the Mortar kills the Outrider in one shot. Hugely rewarding, although it does get boring after awhile.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
Although its a means of protecting the flag, it isn't however professional. Learn to catch these guys before they get the flag, otherwise your setting your team for failure because now that flag might be somewhere out in the field because that mortar skooled some newb into oblivion and that "would be capper" would probably end up being somebodies hit list because you failed to keep your defense together... you follow?;)

Immanent

ITS ONLY OP BECAUSE PEOPLE USE IT AS A FREAKING CLOSE RANGE WEAPON SUCH AS A MORTAR MINE. HUR DUR DUR.

Get rid of the mine functionality and people will start getting less pissed off.
I'm guilty of this when I'm freaking bored.

Disci

Old man
Pure, I thought that you, as a developer, would have a different kind of point of view about feedback. It seems that most of the people do have problems with the weapon/players using the weapon wrong. Isn't this amount of feedback about the same weapon even a bit alerting? This weapon and players who are using it carelessly(I can include you in the list of the players who does this, unfortunately.) are killing this game. Updates are coming and I understand it takes time now since even the dev team has lost their interest to work on the changes so it really doesn't change much anymore.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
Disci only thing developer stands for right now from what ive seen is i made contribution to the game. It boils down to most of the team has lost the motivation and are dealing with real life stuff. I can't blaim them, I'd take care of real life too. Those that do still want to do something can't because none of them are heavy coders, which is mostly all the fuss is about. In past month we been talking to over dozen coders and we might only have one join the team hopefully in next week or so... even then he has to learn torque script which will take some time on top of the functions and all the other things they have to do. I can't wave a wand and make things ok... just doesn't happen.

oh and far as feedback is concern... YES I like feedback, however most of the times the feedback is in negative form and offer no solutions to rectify the problem. Even though its a problem it wont get fixed, because it will require a CODER to change the functions to do so.

heres my thoughts to all suggestions

make the mortar reload slower - yeah will make it harder to spam but still will have massive damage and TK
make the mortar lower radius - even if the mortar was decreased by 10 meters the mortar will still kill just as good (current meters is around 30)
decrease mortar damage - the mortar might still be as good.. it will only toss you around more... if not that just not effective anymore
mortar clustering - this could be great way to maybe allow some skill with release ability.. still powerful though and still could TK
mortar round arming - this might make it harder to tk with, making it long enough for people to move away from explosion.

TK happens with just about any weapon. The odds however of being damaged with mortar are higher then all the other weapons because of the damage and radius. Its intended to be the most powerful weapon in game, and has always been that way in all the tribes. The only difference here is tribes was slower and was more mid field. Legions is quick paced and most of the battles takes place on bases and not in mid field.

I rather discussion of system of team balancing more so then anything, because I'm seeing more and more maps where skill is put on one team and the other team is rendered useless. Why can't anyone step up and be perfessional and balance the teams? For instance If you know the other team needs cappers and you are a good capper... take the initiative todo it! I don't see how stomping another team in land slides enjoyable.. wheres the excitement in that? It gets boring fast people.

Disci

Old man
I know devs are busy with other things. Unlocking Legions proves one thing, which is, that team is now trying to spread the responsibility of content adding for the community. In other words, they want to get the whole community off their back, which is understandable and I support this.

I don't find Mortar, as a weapon, a problem. Increase the arming time of it and it's good. I find the players the problem. Using the mortar to kill enemies flocking around the flag which is at midfield and not caring about how many team members are near there is one thing which happens constantly. Also getting blasted away when you're chasing the capper since that poor *mother loving* sentinel is so damn slow and mortars range just misses the capper but is perfect to kill the chaser. These are what makes my blood boil and I refuse to play with people who are so *dancing* careless when they are playing a team game.

Like I said, I don't see a problem with the weapon, but it's just the imbecil users who don't CARE about anything else but getting the kills by themselves. You can see same sort of things happen when you're about to return the flag and someone behind you spams the flag with rockets just to get the return himself and same time he kills you. Once again, attitude and it's getting worse. Changing how the weapon works is piece of cake compaired to changing how people act. Eventually all the mortar threads are about this, not the weapon itself.

No, it's not just new players who does this, it's also players who has played a long time already and should know what they are doing. Ofcourse I understand that even after years of Legions experience some players can still lack awarness, but for *dance* sake, try to *dancing* improve even a bit or admit that online games are really not your thing.

Propkid

heres my thoughts to all suggestions

make the mortar reload slower - yeah will make it harder to spam but still will have massive damage and TK
make the mortar lower radius - even if the mortar was decreased by 10 meters the mortar will still kill just as good (current meters is around 30)
decrease mortar damage - the mortar might still be as good.. it will only toss you around more... if not that just not effective anymore
mortar clustering - this could be great way to maybe allow some skill with release ability.. still powerful though and still could TK
mortar round arming - this might make it harder to tk with, making it long enough for people to move away from explosion.
Cool idea: after 3 TKs within say 2 or 3 minutes a player joins team Zeta for 90s and becomes red (enemy) to everyone on the map, spawns up ass. Do it.
Prolonged spawn time (+15s for each TK after the first one) together with death upon 3rd TK (and hence waiting to spawn). Only way in which this will make sense.
IMO mortar is fine in terms of weapon balance; it's still OK to cap when the enemy is using it
IMO what would need to be temporarily implemented is some sort of punishment for wounding allies with mortar, for example extended respawn time.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, personally, I'm starting to lean towards that mortar's a bit too much for the game currently. Legions is still very much a LT product, so a classic style mortar might not be the weapon to release into Legions current state. I've witnessed mighty, stoic Finns break down ingame and resort to cursing in their native tongue and tossing the enemy flag back at the enemy; If the Finns are breaking down, something's gone awry!

I'm not a big fan of reverting Sent to Cluster, I like to believe a middleground can be found that would work for both sides of the mortar issue. In another thread I discussed a modified mortar weapon, here's an update on that suggestion (updated to address criticism from Armageddon). Also, don't take my suggestion as being very original, I'm sure I've seen detonated mortar projectiles in these forums before.

New Mortar
Would have a similar rate of fire and range as it does now, but the AoE of a non-detonated projectile would be similar in size to a grenade blast, but with higher damage. There would also be a detonation mode, that's activated similarly to the current cluster. After the projectile hits a solid object (be it player or terrain), the player can then detonate the projectile. The detonation is not immediate, it takes a few seconds for it to explode. During this detonation phase, the mortar projectile will blink a darker shade of green rapidly indicating that its about to explode. The explosion itself will be similar to the current mortar blast.

This would make the mortar more of a skill based weapon, well timed/placed non-detonated mortar hits can still be effective, but require a lot more skill to use (less of a fire and forget aspect). Spamming huge projectile blasts would no longer be possible as the player would need to wait for the mortar to hit something then activate it, even then the players within its radius would have some time to respond to it. The mortar would still be effective at clearing defenders (and killing sleeping defenders), but it would be based more on players avoiding the projectile than dying from a high flying mortar.

While MA mortar kills would become rather scarce, this mechanic would open up a new gameplay element: defenders body blocking mortar projectiles in an attempt to lessen damage against their HoF or protecting assets. I also like the idea of the mortar projectile being detonated early by a player firing at the detonating projectile, this would give cappers a way to respond to a HoF trying to set a 'mortar mine' at the flagstand. Or trick shots that involve a player using mortar hitting a player midair, then another player on his team hitting the activated projectile, detonating the mortar blasting and killing the enemy in midair with it (and perhaps a friend or two). Hohohohoho!

MJ1284

I've witnessed mighty, stoic Finns break down ingame and resort to cursing in their native tongue and tossing the enemy flag back at the enemy; If the Finns are breaking down, something's gone awry!
You mean other people are following my example?
free-MrBurnsExcellent.gif