Worthwhile FPS games?

Propkid

Erm, hi all, long time no talk.

I'm looking to get back into the FPS genre. Problem is, as most of you know, it's terribly commercialized and no longer purely skill based. I play Quake Live every now and then to just have some movement+aiming practice done, but their servers really don't like me and also the game is... stale. It's not as dynamic and fun as CPMA and using the Z-axis and speed are often punished.
I'm not going back to old CoD games as CoD4 has no depth anymore and CoD:WaW is pretty much dead.

Does anyone know any worthwhile twitchy or just fast FPS games that have little or no imposed progression? I'm thinking of getting Unreal Tournament, but I don't even know which one is still 'alive' today; which one is the best one to get.

Pure

Hawken, decent game and it's alot of fun imo since it's leaning towards fps-z you should pick it up pretty quick. World of Tanks is good if you're in that kinda stuff, then there's Heros in the Sky ww 1 and ww 2 plane simulator, the obvious T;A but i have no idea of the state of the game, haven't played in months.
That's all the fps games I found worth playing over the years, I play some CoD type crap but I get bored with'em in a week. Cheers

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
UT still has a bunch of people playing, pretty quick gameplay.

Or wait a couple weeks for Titanfall.

Application-1

test bester
If you think quake is stale then you must be the filthiest plebeian to have ever walked this earth. There has to be such a foul stench covering your body that it has became a aura that has warded of human beings since your birth. Having no social interaction you have never learned to love. And so all you can do is to hate everything that actually manages to get close to you. You must have been brought upon this world in a old trench that predates human life. A trench that cuts as deep in the earth's soil like the festering teeth from a parasite. And when you layed there with your face in the mud your mom did not even care to turn you around. All she could do is give one last look at you and give you the name Rikimaru.

- "Everyone that is actually good at videogames"​

Propkid

I tried Hawken back in beta/alpha (can't remember). Fun, but... 'clunky'. Will reinstall.

T:A is dead. WoT is an FPS?

Titanfall looks really fun :O. Question is, will it run on my Intel i5 M 480 @2.67, Nvidia GT 330M? I'm not really in a position to upgrade ;/

If you think quake is stale then you must be the filthiest plebeian to have ever walked this earth. There has to be such a foul stench covering your body that it has became a aura that has warded of human beings since your birth. Having no social interaction you have never learned to love. And so all you can do is to hate everything that actually manages to get close to you. You must have been brought upon this world in a old trench that predates human life. A trench that cuts as deep in the earth's soil like the festering teeth from a parasite. And when you layed there with your face in the mud your mom did not even care to turn you around. All she could do is give one last look at you and give you the name Rikimaru.

- "Everyone that is actually good at videogames"​
Quake Live is stale. No sensible mods, weapons 'rebalanced' from q3a to *chocolate cookies*, terrible network issues, some awful maps, skill gaps between tiers too big, no CPMA, scumbag community.

Armageddon

Teapot
I've been playing alot of DayZ standalone, RUST and Arma III Altis life missions. The open world play with them is fun, some crafting and odd encounters makes them much better then CSS/CoD/BF#, but they do lack Dynamic gun play and movement is wonky at best.

Been watching a ton of TitanFall footage and it's meh, BlackLight Retribution on the Source Engine with double jump.. The next decent FPSZ game we will see is probably project z :( since most fps are now survival/craft/horror.

Propkid

DayZ standalone devs know not what does 'optimisation' mean. I've played it, IMO the game lacks real depth, it's just a lot of details. Also running.

Rust was great. I am/was into it, but the durability mechanism is borked (50hits/hatchet?!) and my friends need to get back into it so we can dominate the centre of the map again :D. But it is not an FPS at all for me; it's a multiplayer competitive survival simulator with FPS and Minecraft elements. I'd recommend it to anyone, though keep in mind it's an Alpha and it's very addictive so it can leave a bitter taste after 2 months of having no life.

Warsow is meh. Tried it ages ago, don't like the movement mechanics; they're not paired with the right kind of weapons imo.

Dino

DayZ standalone devs know not what does 'optimisation' mean. I've played it, IMO the game lacks real depth, it's just a lot of details. Also running.

Rust was great. I am/was into it, but the durability mechanism is borked (50hits/hatchet?!) and my friends need to get back into it so we can dominate the centre of the map again :D. But it is not an FPS at all for me; it's a multiplayer competitive survival simulator with FPS and Minecraft elements. I'd recommend it to anyone, though keep in mind it's an Alpha and it's very addictive so it can leave a bitter taste after 2 months of having no life.

Warsow is meh. Tried it ages ago, don't like the movement mechanics; they're not paired with the right kind of weapons imo.
Battlefield 4?

Quake Live is stale. No sensible mods, weapons 'rebalanced' from q3a to *chocolate cookies*, terrible network issues, some awful maps, skill gaps between tiers too big, no CPMA, scumbag community.
most of those are false if you are going pay2havefun mode. in pay2havefun mode, you can create servers with limited mods. the weapons are p well balanced, depending on the map. the netcode is *chocolate cookies* i agree and fully understand. maps are good if you have pay2havefun mode enabled (campgrounds, overkill, trinity, thunderstruck). the tier system only takes about 30-45 mins to climb from 0-5 :/. there is CPMA, it is just called PQL. idk about the community, i tend to stay away from forums like tw and esr.

you should try tf2 :/. there are hats.

fps market is slowly dying and it seems to only get cancerous as the years continue. makes me feel old after playing TA for almost 2 years.

Application-1

test bester
Instagib all day erryday.

The only thing you can be hyped for fps wise on the pc imo is Project Z and this game:
James "2gd" Harding is a old quake pro player that is now a pretty big person in hosting e-sports stuff. He is now making a fps game called reborn. I self am pretty hyped for it. Watch the video if you are interested in it. It is a pretty big project and quite some dedication behind it.

Also: (this might be a bit more informative)

Fixious

Test Lead
I've given Xonotic another go. It's marginally more active than Legions, and has the same problem Legions has when it comes to newcomers trying out the game. But it can be fun, especially the grappling hook. Wouldn't mind getting a group of people together to try it out.