Why change the normal 7 v 7?

black hand

Why did the community all of a sudden change the standard 7 v 7 to 8 v 8?

I personally think that 8 v 8 is too crowded and is just a bad number to play Legions on. Even though your increasing the number of players on a team by 1, it changes the game a lot.

I liked the fact that for a 7 v 7, teams had to make the decision of putting that seventh guy on offense, or defense, which makes for more interesting play tactics.

But the fact of the matter is, 8 v 8 can be a PLAYABLE, but I think it definitely should not be the STANDARD format.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
It depends on your point of view. On smaller maps like Moonshine and Nivosus, it can be overcrowded occasionally. On bigger maps like core, zenith and geoge, its justified. That's why the map rotation system is designed with the amount of players in mind.

In Pickup games, it really varies how many people are playing. I've seen 7 people per team to 9 people per team, and there's not much difference apart from that odd defender or attacker.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Frostbyte with 8 v8 is a little hectic and you just have the offense raping the defense or the defense owning everyone.

Sames goes with Nivosus, 8v8 should only be done on larger maps like Zenith or the Core. But then again there are usually a good amount of players in the pickup channel and to not have an 8v8 would leave people out.

Apcizzle

With legions being such a simple game - basically Tribes LT mod or Spawn CTF, i think 7v7 is the way it should be. i agree that 8v8 is too crowded and a little too much.

That being said, i think having 8v8 in PUG's isnt such a bad idea. I believe we started doing 8v8 so we can have more players play in pugs when legions came back. I'd like to keep the 8v8 pugs going so we can throw some new players in the game or make sure that people dont miss out in playing. But as for competition.. if a league or ladder develops, id like to see 7v7 to continue to be the standard. Scrims can be decided between the two.. kinda like what we did this previous sunday shaska.

Buhlitz

With legions being such a simple game - basically Tribes LT mod or Spawn CTF, i think 7v7 is the way it should be. i agree that 8v8 is too crowded and a little too much.

That being said, i think having 8v8 in PUG's isnt such a bad idea. I believe we started doing 8v8 so we can have more players play in pugs when legions came back. I'd like to keep the 8v8 pugs going so we can throw some new players in the game or make sure that people dont miss out in playing. But as for competition.. if a league or ladder develops, id like to see 7v7 to continue to be the standard. Scrims can be decided between the two.. kinda like what we did this previous sunday shaska.

Agreed on all points. I'd like to add that 7 v 7 does involve more chess like tactics imo.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
We chose 16-player servers because players leave and drop regularly, so this leaves a bit of wiggle room for the games.

We agree that 8v8 Niv is a little crowded. Expect most of our future CTF development to revolve around 7v7-10v10 sized games.