Weekly Pickup Games

For the upcoming pickup, you'd rather play:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jago

I'm all for new ideas, but to shut down discussion of how they could be run better seems counter-productive. The reason that I noted that Fallout was the only viable option is because 6v6 (from my limited 3.5 month experience) generally is unbalanced and relative to a 7v7, is not that fun. It allows either for 3o-3d, or 4o-2d; with hofs, it just gets dumb. Elegiac is also in my opinion not a map for small numbers because it is so incredibly easy to chase. There is a reason Scarabrae was not played in competitive Tribes; there is a reason Mirage is not played in pickup Legions. I realize the numbers thing isn't something to really be concerned about since if there are extra people, one can always start a different pickup. Then again, you also have to take into consideration that you have 19 votes right now, so obviously some of them cannot play, and/or will not get to play the map that they voted for. Then you also have to take into consideration that this only solves map 1, and there is no blueprint to solving the next map; it appears to me like putting a band-aid on the problem. And then you have to have people vote every week, which if analogous real-world democracy is any indication, is a hard feat to pull off (much less in a video game). And then you have the problems that arise mid-game, when one team is getting absolutely hammered because of garbage initial positions that allow no flexibility in-game, and infighting results.

I love when people play new maps. If anything, it evens the stage for newer players, since the older players have played Frostbyte, Nivosus, Moonshine, and Zenith for god knows how many hours. Same thing in T1- I can actually run routes blind on some maps. It's one more stumbling block for newer players to get to the level of older players.

If the problems is captains and maps, I think a couple fixes could be set in place.
1. People should listen and understand how experienced captains make decisions on players and positions; even if they don't agree, they can understand.
2. Captains should be sensitive to the mood of the pug, not adopt a "Well, I'm captain, *dance* you all, we're playing gorge" attitude. This is not necessarily an explicit vote (these tend to take forever). Same with people who just join the pug after it's been going on for a while.
3. Potential/new captains should read Blitz's and Jack's posts in Darklord's captaining thread, and shouldn't be afraid to ask for advice.
4. Captains should be relatively equivalent skill-level or picking wise, and if they aren't, safeguards ought to be in place in giving them first pick and side, etc. Depending on the two captains, assess whether this is one of the friendly pickups or down-to-the-bone competitive ones; if it's the former, attempt to match the picking style of the other captain.
5. Also, get people to join servers instantly and establish the captains of the next game immediately after the game finishes.

Also, 5v5s, no sents, no snipes, should be more common.

voilà. ggs.
why no sents

WildFire

Warrior of Linux

Good post, but what on earth is this comment all about? Sents and Snipe add depth to the game, I thought we were aiming at 'depth' here as well on legions.

Sharp

Private Tester
5v5 no sents/no snipes is where there is no bailout factor and people can't hide behind others in making plays. Every player is a necessity, and if you play sloppy, your team loses. Obviously not for those who want less competitive atmosphere, but because of the low numbers, it should allow for several games at once (Nivosus, Moonshine, Frostbyte, and Stygian would be conducive to this).

Xtreme

shaska's bff

I just want to say that I didn't shutdown the discussion, I just thought it'd be easier to discuss something after it had been put into effect. Ucan said it's already been tried so whatever, go ahead and fill this thread with paragraphs of sophisms.

You said Elegiak was a bad map for small numbers since it's incredibly easy to chase. If it's incredibly easy to chase, why would you need more players? Also, what's wrong with Mirage? Apart from the need to smoothen some of the slopes, I think Mirage is one of the best maps in the game.

You also made a witty comment in reference to the 19 votes. My idea works on the basis of majority opinion, so if 15 out of the 19 people choose to play Fallout, so be it. Also - and I really have no idea why - there are people voting here that are from Asia (and some from the US that may not even make an appearance).

I like the list of fixes you've provided, but unfortunately people don't always follow them. The very idea of choosing between map pick and first pick sets the stage for a competitive game. Who is to say it won't be a fun game too? You can't answer that until you've played the game. However, statistically, we've played many more non-fun games than fun games.

Lastly,

First suggestion I made, easily rejected by Application, who thinks he's been around long enough to assert that 5v5s do not work.

Application-1

test bester
First suggestion I made, easily rejected by Application, who thinks he's been around long enough to assert that 5v5s do not work.
And because I reject it it can not happen? The only thing I say is that I like 7v7 alot more. It is not if I say something it is bound to happen ffs. Though I like it if you think like that. When I am on teamspeak and we have 11 people and someone says: you know what let us do a 5v5, and my reaction is then I want to do a 7v7 then that does not mean you cannot have a 5v5. I can switch map and start a server I just don't play then.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
And because I reject it it can not happen? The only thing I say is that I like 7v7 alot more. It is not if I say something it is bound to happen ffs. Though I like it if you think like that. When I am on teamspeak and we have 11 people and someone says: you know what let us do a 5v5, and my reaction is then I want to do a 7v7 then that does not mean you cannot have a 5v5. I can switch map and start a server I just don't play then.

Hey Application-1, looks like you're being even more looked up to as the pickup king :rolleyes: