Tribes Ascend announced.

dx11101

So, you mean...like Tribes? A good thing for a Tribes game to be, says I.

He means "slow and floaty".

Thats where mods come in. I always played mods that sped up the gameplay which is why Legions felt right in terms of skiing and getting around. Especially without needing a vehicle to get to the other base. And if you ever talked to one of those old grumpy t1 players they will probably tell you "Tribes was slow as molasses." And of course it was because they were a most likely a base player. I think if Legions ended up more like a t1 base clone with better graphics a lot of the community which came from the first three installments would probably cringe(especially without the ability to mod). A mechanic which a lot of tribes mods seemed to add somewhat universally was some kind of extra speed boost whether it came disc boost or a shockwave cannon.

We rocket boost and grenade boost regularly without any mod whatsoever now in legions. You know the cluster grenade? was available for the T2 Renegades Burster(not saying it was stolen, saying it was done previously years before). How about the Satchel Charge in T2 Base? Done first in a Tribes 1 mod. So on and so forth. Dont know where the inspiration came from for Legions but I am taking a wild guess a lot of it came from Tribes even though Legions is NOT Tribes, but it is, but its not....

All that bs said if the new game is not modable and has no map editor then that presents a possible problem. Microtransaction to buy maps, game-types, armors, weapons, priority access, or whatever the hell they plan on is leading me to believe this game is just an elaborately re-skinned Global Agenda with a new menu that says "TRIBES" so at this point I would not keep my expectations high. Which means i am betting the game is 0 percent modable.

As Nept also noticed, that video doesn't show us anything except art which was intentional and not an accident.

DOS4/GW

...... that video doesn't show us anything except art which was intentional and not an accident.

Of course it was intentional; It was a teaser trailer. Its purpose was to stir up anticipation, not to show us anything substantial. Releasing incrementally larger bits of information about a game over time is a very common practice. I doubt very highly that they were attempting to mislead people.

GoodJobDino

There is a lot going on in the HUD it seems. I keep re-watching the gp trailer to try and get what it all is.

Edit: "You said it was free-to-play. What kind of model is it following?
*Tribes: Ass-End* is following a model based closely on Riot's wildly successful League of Legends. Essentially, instead of buying champions, players will be buying "loadouts" for *Tribes: Ass-End*, either with real money or a currency earned at a slower rate from playing matches. New loadouts will probably be regularly added, hopefully keeping things fresh."

Ummm...... what?

fuzzykittenhead

<awesome>

If you didn't know already: http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1179299p1.html

tl;dr: turrets, vehicles, and Rabbit mode will be present.

What about game types? Are there objectives?
There are currently two game modes -- Capture the Flag, which is an old shooter standby where teams compete to bring the enemy flag to their base; and Rabbit, where all players except the flag holder are on the same team, and killing the flag holder causes them to drop the flag. You get points for holding the flag and killing flag holders. It's pretty cool.

</awesome>

dx11101

There is a lot going on in the HUD it seems. I keep re-watching the gp trailer to try and get what it all is.

Edit: "You said it was free-to-play. What kind of model is it following?
*Tribes: Ass-End* is following a model based closely on Riot's wildly successful League of Legends. Essentially, instead of buying champions, players will be buying "loadouts" for *Tribes: Ass-End*, either with real money or a currency earned at a slower rate from playing matches. New loadouts will probably be regularly added, hopefully keeping things fresh."

Ummm...... what?

Yeah and in League of Legends they periodically switch around which hero is free so that if you develop a favorite you are compelled to have to buy it soon after. No customizable loadouts? With a business model like this the only thing they will update is how many loadouts they offer.

Abandoned

It's f2p and all the most important loadouts are there for you. You just need to play to earn the credits.

Oh.. Sweet.
Could you explain "earn the credits"? Is it like the Play4Free Battlefield where you can play, gain "credits" and purchase weapons (in Tribe's case)/ loadouts?

qqchurch

Oh.. Sweet.
Could you explain "earn the credits"? Is it like the Play4Free Battlefield where you can play, gain "credits" and purchase weapons (in Tribe's case)/ loadouts?

I would guess that the "earn the credits" thing is almost like the Mercenary Tokens in Global Agenda; you get tokens at the end of each PvP or PvE depending on your performance (kills/deaths/heals/damage etc.) and it would probably be like that in this game.

Abandoned

Ahh ok. Gotcha.

EDIT:
Few minutes in the registration, after pressing the finalise button, all I get is:
Processing, please wait.

qqchurch

On another note, the "Looks Haloish" and "I thought it was a leak of Halo 4" comments at the IGN article are funny and disappointing.

quickedit:

All of the projectiles in the video are quite shiny and glow-y. What's up with that?