Tribes Ascend announced.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
MICROTRANSACTIONS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Seriously, why not just make the game cost like 15 dollars and be done with it. NO ONE WANTS MICRO TRANSACTIONS DAMMIT.

"My daddy's credit card makes me pwn4ge"

Fixious

Test Lead
MICROTRANSACTIONS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Seriously, why not just make the game cost like 15 dollars and be done with it. NO ONE WANTS MICRO TRANSACTIONS DAMMIT.

"My daddy's credit card makes me pwn4ge"
Hell make it 50, even 60 and I'd still pay for it. Just give us everything from the start and let us be. This is so...corporate of them.

:mad:

Strife

The micro-transaction business plan is the popular and effective thing to do these days, even Firefall is doing it. Just because games like uh... Combat Arms let you get powerful weapons and stuff doesn't mean big games will. I'm sure it'll be primarily aesthetic things and features. If you're willing to spend 60 dollars to purchase the game, chances are you won't be going without if they go with micro-transactions so there's no reason to complain.

This is so...corporate of them.

It's a business, not a charity organization. They're going to do whatever they think will generate the most revenue and keep the game afloat.

Strife

Loadouts Strife, loadouts. Read the full article.

I'm sure it'll be primarily aesthetic things and features.

My bad, though I did say primarily and not only. Anyway, I'll post this snippet of a convo to make a point:

Tom W:
http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/tribes-ascend-announced.1628/page-8#post-48325
whiny
Nept says
wasn't that exactly what IA was planning to do?
pay for loadout access?
Tom W says
dunno
Nept says
Just point out that it's retarded to take a stance until pricing points are confirmed
they're just reflex bitching at a few keywords

Additionally, I don't see why people are bitching about it when either:

A) You were planning on spending 50-60 dollars for a boxed version, in which case you should have no problem buying the load-outs to keep up with everyone else (as previously mentioned)

B) You weren't planning on the above, in which case you wouldn't be playing the game at all and should be grateful that you now can

I'm skeptical on how faithful this is actually going to be to Tribes 2. That SMG at the end. What was with that? No need for an SMG in a Tribes game, plain and simple.

Redvan

Private Tester
I could care less if it's "faithful" to any tribes. Give it good movement and we'll go from there.

So, they still planning on 2 separate games? T:U and T:A?

Ernie

You should put the new trailer on the OP of this thread.

Does anyone know what map(s) are shown in the new trailer?
Edit: it's called Drydock

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
So, they still planning on 2 separate games? T:U and T:A?

Yes.

Also, people need to stop crying "not like tribes!" till they've actually play the game. You don't learn anything about gameplay from the videos or screenshots.

Sit down, shut up, and wait for beta imo...

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, Seymour's going to hold off on a determination of the pricing system until more details are out (and I'm sure everything revealed is still up to change or needs to be clarified).

Personally, I was willing to pay the full retail price of this game, so micro-transactions don't really scare me away. I hope there's some sort of 'VIP pack' that allows all of the features to be purchased in one large sum.

As for the video, it looked alright. The graphics were decent, the movement was very... Tribes-y looking, and I'm digging the art design.

OmniNept

Actionaut
SeymourGore said:
The graphics were decent, the movement was very... Tribes-y looking . . .

He means "slow and floaty".

Jests (?) aside, currently-available information is scant. The video seemed cut to hide movement mechanics and actual combat, so we can't ascertain anything. Conclusions beyond "I like the art style" are mere speculation.

That goes double for pricing plans, something for which we've nothing but the broadest "details". As I was saying to Tomathy, keywords trigger reflexive reactions - something that politicians and social scientists know well. Terms like "Real American", "patriot", "honour", "pride", "hero", "sacrifice", "flag", "terrorists", "national security threat" are tossed about because of their very real effects. We associate with them certain facts and enter a state of automaticity, allowing our preconceptions and prejudices to guide our opinions. And when evaluating facts or assessing arguments, that's bad.

Please stop and think. Develop and utilize that cognitive capacity. The world would be so much improved were the bulk of its inhabitants able to reason effectively.

Microtransaction models necessitate neither poor pricing plans nor poor gameplay. Were the model well-implemented, you might save money and the developers might be encouraged to support their product. Remember: the traditional model offers few incentives for post-release development/support.

Free-to-play also means that those on the fence are able to try the product. Given the fast-paced games on the horizon, Tribes Ascend isn't sitting high on Omniscient's priorities; if we're impressed (or, at the very least, not depressed) by its movement, though, we'll be there. This announcement saves me fifty bucks. I like that. And you'll like that the player base will be buoyed by non-paying players, some of whom will eventually "make the leap".

On a somewhat more base note, if powerful hitscan weapons remain post-beta, we will be roflstomping within minutes.