Triangle above enemy players

Buhlitz

I would also advocate a system of IFF's that only worked if a teammate of yours was looking at the player. This way you could see anyone that your team can see by default, this would still force teamwork and cooperation, yet it would allow sneaky cappers to still be sneaky, and all that.

That is hilarious, we literally just posted the same idea at the same time.

abadon89

i reckon the best way to get through it would be have to green for ally red for foe which i believe is the case anyway??
However i think that allies triangles should be permanently shown regardless of distance to other allies but enemies should only be viewable to the enemy when within a certain range, this would allow people to create certain situations such as ambushes of flag carriers and more stealthy approaches. As it is i can see and start firing on someone from the other side of the arena if i so wished.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I would also advocate a system of IFF's that only worked if a teammate of yours was looking at the player. This way you could see anyone that your team can see by default, this would still force teamwork and cooperation, yet it would allow sneaky cappers to still be sneaky, and all that.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive this is exactly how the system works right now. It just has a fantastically long range at which the IFF indicators are shown.

allies triangles should be permanently shown regardless of distance to other allies

This is also precisely how targeting works right now. Again, it's a range issue -- you can basically "spot" an enemy at massively long range.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
It should be clear that the current system is just a placeholder. But, nonetheless, do cappers not cap anymore or what? I mean, yes, capping is a bit harder than before, due to the increased visibility, but it's not like the current system would completely prevent it.

Unknown

Private Tester
It should be clear that the current system is just a placeholder. But, nontheless, do cappers not cap anymore or what? I mean, yes, capping is a bit harder than before, due to the increased visibility, but it's not like the current system would completely prevent it.
For me, capping definitely isn't harder than it was before, after taking a year long break, I actually think I got better than I was before. Back to the IFF's, it's not a problem for me, but it's stupid when I have chain gun bullets flying around me a couple seconds after I start a route on Zenith.

Buhlitz

For me, capping definitely isn't harder than it was before, after taking a year long break, I actually think I got better than I was before. Back to the IFF's, it's not a problem for me, but it's stupid when I have chain gun bullets flying around me a couple seconds after I start a route on Zenith.

So combine the two ideas, x distance + active jets = iff ?

Either way ultimately I'm torn, because while active iff's promote teamwork, it does remove a certain element of stealth. Hell I remember early on there was no flag indicator even for the carrier. Standoffs on Nivosus were quite stale. However the very few pug's I've played in recently the games seemed to play fine, allowing for opportunities to make plays even being always visible.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
While I wouldn't complain if the infinite IFF range was reduced, the difficulty in defending the flag has never been about knowing whether or not cappers are coming. News flash: There's always a capper coming! Reducing the range just means defenders will spin their view around a little more until they see the telltale red triangle before settling in on the enemy offense and defending the flag.

In my more limited experience compared to many of you (I've never done PUGs), the difficulty that comes with defending the flag is in dealing with the other team's LO, learning to body block, and handling cappers who can thread needles with their overdrive. If you're on a route and you're spotted so early that you have three CGs and an RL trained on you by the time you're coming to the finish line, isn't that a notification that you need more LO screwing up their defense?

Mabeline

God-Tier
It's a technical problem that will be fixed in the future as the related systems are completed.

You people go crazy with speculation upon the slightest provocation...

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
It's a technical problem that will be fixed in the future as the related systems are completed.

You people go crazy with speculation upon the slightest provocation...

Just wondering, along the lines of this topic is not being able to see the flag indicator from one base to another on Zenith also a technical issue, or how it's supposed to be? Because I find it to be quite a pain as is. :(

RainPilot

stinky bear
This made me start thinking about the spotting function of Bad Company 2. What if you can't see the IFF unless someone on your team "spots" the player. It would promote cooperation between teammates without having to manually telling your team where the player is.

It would also keep options open for deployable or destroyable base sensors that show IFFs for all players in a certain radius later on.
When I first started replaying legions, I found myself hitting the Q hotkey for the commo rose in BF2. I think it'll be a lot funner if there certain game modes with different base assets such as turrets, a UAV that spots incoming players coming in, and probably a abse generator. But since this would only add to the defense's power, offense would have to given a few perks. But thats another topic...