Tragedy and Video Game Violence

Severance

Private Tester
Always thought it a bit morbid they went into such detail in the "news". Keep that fear machine rolling, got to keep people in check.

57thRomance

Although this shooting did significantly impact me, since it happened 20 minutes from my hometown and I do sincerely believe the murder of children is terribly evil, I agree that news coverage tends to go too overboard. Some of what networks do doesn't just encourage more killings; it's outright disrespectful, especially when they are interviewing little children, who have tragically lost their innocence and probably don't know that their stories are shared worldwide. My father works as the art director for a show on CBS, and he hates working in the news industry for this reason and more.

I also like how the narrator ended his video. Definitely reach out to the community in love, but know the true statistics and focus on fixing the direct rather than the indirect.

MJ1284

Although this shooting did significantly impact me, since it happened 20 minutes from my hometown and I do sincerely believe the murder of children is terribly evil, I agree that news coverage tends to go too overboard. Some of what networks do doesn't just encourage more killings; it's outright disrespectful, especially when they are interviewing little children, who have tragically lost their innocence and probably don't know that their stories are shared worldwide.

What really disturbs me is that my cousin's kid just started first grade this fall and then *chocolate cookies* like this has to happen on same year. We've had two school massacres here in Finland (yes, these things happen on this side of Atlantic Ocean too) and I hate to admit its possible that someone here takes example of Adam Lanza.. I wouldn't have to worry if news networks realized they're glorifying these maniacs when they obsessively report unnecessary details. I don't wanna hear what the guy was wearing, what was his favorite dish, what type of music he was listening (we all know heavy metal is Satan music and it turns you into gun toting maniac yada yada yada...) nor do I care to hear of the common scapegoats movies & video games (heck, I played Doom I when I was six and I turned out alright... mostly anyway). What I do want to know what was fundamentally wrong with the person responsible for massacre and WHY was it allowed to escalate to a massacre in first place.

I'm tired of hearing all the common "it must have been all those nights on Halo & CoD, Mountain Dew and Doritos what made him crack and go postal!" explanations that have no merit (very questionable facts at best), thrown around by people who have no idea what they are criticizing, and leaving out all the stuff that IS relevant, such as state of mental health care & what events led to this & what can be done to prevent these things from occurring.

I think I'm done for now.

Litzer

I agree that it's a terrible thing that happened, but it's gone overboard. Worse things happen to other kids in other countries. For *dance* sake, a man went into a school in China and stabbed like 20 kids, and no one gives a *chocolate cookies* about it, but some kids get shot and it's the front headline for days.

Typical dramatic America.

Excalibur

a man went into a school in China and stabbed like 20 kids
Not that no one give a *chocolate cookies* about it , We people in Hong Kong do care about it...
It's all over the facebook :(

Freeman

RAYTANG
I agree that it's a terrible thing that happened, but it's gone overboard. Worse things happen to other kids in other countries. For *dance* sake, a man went into a school in China and stabbed like 20 kids, and no one gives a *chocolate cookies* about it, but some kids get shot and it's the front headline for days.

Typical dramatic America.
are you really surprised that your media covered a tragedy, in your own country, over a tragedy in another country?
theres just way more information your media outlets can get.

from what i remember seeing on the news, we talked about the school shooting for ~2 days.

k e v i n

Private Tester
i am very surprised that my own media covered something rather than in another countries \o/
i'm surprised that ur surprised, america only thinks about themselves, whether it's important or not, and how much more money the people in government can get........and i'm pretty sure that's a fact:confused: