Tips for cleaning out computer?

RainPilot

stinky bear
I've been procrastinating for too long, my processor is always hot and using way more CPU power then it needs to. It also makes tons of noise, and last night I was playing and it sounded like a vacuum - but louder. I thought it was going to explode so I did an Alt + F4 fosho'.

I need some tips on cleaning out a computer that has never been cleaned and it's about 4 years old. I went ahead and ordered some compressed air since I don't feel like walking to the store. Most people recommend cleaning it outside, but since I live in Philadelphia, I'll most likely get robbed, shot, and raped the first step I take out there.

Does anyone have any other tools or techniques? I know there is google but most of the time it involves a guy with an air compressor and then 50 comments of how the guy is an idiot. I really don't expect anything to be very sturdy inside since it was made by HP, hell I don't even know if I can get the case off without it breaking.

Redvan

Private Tester
1alaundry1.jpg

I hear when you soak it, it'll clean inside the wires too.

Or just a air spray can, and vacuum if you're scared of the dust.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Trolls.. wouldn't a hair dryer have a really great chance of causing static electricity and the heat would probably damage things also.

MJ1284

Well, first thing you wanna do is to check that all your computer fans are working properly (put your hand on ventilation holes or open computer case and see if fans are spinning, either works), after that see how much dust it has gathered (quite alot I recon). You can blow most dust off yourself, use compressed air for those hard to reach places (spots between cards and cables & CPU if has fan on top of it), if there's dust that doesn't come off even with compressed air you can try cotton buds (tested on cleaning GPU heat sink, works nicely).

As pre-empite measures:
I'd recommend getting computer holder so your computer won't be vacuuming dust from ground floor or from desk.
Also make sure your computer isn't hugging wall, if it is then air circulation works poorly.

Most of this is merely common sense but hopefully you'll find some of these tips useful.

EDIT: Damn you Seymour!

RainPilot

stinky bear
I read a few guides and some people recommended not blowing into the case because your breath carries moisture and if your breathe is hot.. YOU CAN MELT YOUR WHOLE MOBO

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I read a few guides and some people recommended not blowing into the case because your breath carries moisture and if your breathe is hot.. YOU CAN MELT YOUR WHOLE MOBO

Yar, I wouldn't recommend using your own breath to blow out dust. Don't know about the whole moisture argument, mind you; I generally use compressed air because it's a lot more pressure and gets the dust out faster. Plus dust tastes gross.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Yar, I wouldn't recommend using your own breath to blow out dust. Don't know about the whole moisture argument, mind you; I generally use compressed air because it's a lot more pressure and gets the dust out faster. Plus dust tastes gross.
Yeah, a compressor would be handy. I'm just scared that I'll dislocate or possibly break something inside and I'll be owned. I'm going to buy two cans of air today because I heard that you need to let them "recharge" and I should alternate between cans.

Redvan

Private Tester
Yeah, a compressor would be handy. I'm just scared that I'll dislocate or possibly break something inside and I'll be owned. I'm going to buy two cans of air today because I heard that you need to let them "recharge" and I should alternate between cans.
Compressor can wont break anything. Not powerful enough.

Trolls.. wouldn't a hair dryer have a really great chance of causing static electricity and the heat would probably damage things also.
Some hair driers have a "cold" setting... Never thought of using a hair dryer myself, and probably would never bother trying with how easy compressed air cans are... As for static electricity, make sure you have the case grounded if you're worried about it. Just as when you change out a CPU or something, ground everything before goin pushing them together :)

RainPilot

stinky bear
Compressor can wont break anything. Not powerful enough.

Some hair driers have a "cold" setting... Never thought of using a hair dryer myself, and probably would never bother trying with how easy compressed air cans are... As for static electricity, make sure you have the case grounded if you're worried about it. Just as when you change out a CPU or something, ground everything before goin pushing them together :)
Well it could blow some wires out and you don't know what dem Chinese use as an adhesive during assembly.I don't know anything about grounding and I will probably just buy an anti-static bracelet!

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking anything with compressed air. If a cable does come loose from the air, it was probably loose to begin with and would have had to be tightened at some point anyway.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Yar, I wouldn't worry too much about breaking anything with compressed air. If a cable does come loose from the air, it was probably loose to begin with and would have had to be tightened at some point anyway.
Also, I'll be doing it inside since I don't want to get killed... DUST CLOUD. I'll post pictures of the actual inside before I start cleaning. I don't have a set date either so it may be this weekend or next year.

actually i use a hair dryer every 3 months to clean my pc, i just lay down my pc and start it on cold mode
you really need to do it outside or you're gonna have to clean up the whole room

Frosted

I don't buy compress air can they are not good for the planet and they cost a lot just for air. What I do is I ask my dad to bring his air compressor or I go to a garage where they have a air pump.

Air-Compressor1.jpg

RainPilot

stinky bear
The excitement is already killing me! Don't keep us in suspence.
I was absent 3 days this week and I have a stack of homework to do, plus 4 tests tomorrow! I can't go to the store tomorrow because I have to leave right after school and won't be home until 10 = school's closed. Hopefully I can muster the strength of waking up early on a Saturday and walk a few blocks to the auto store and grab a can. Sorry, but it will be great.