Thoughts on Legions: Overdrive

SNAKEOPS

Thoughts on Legions: Overdrive​
After playing Legions quite a bit, I thought to share my opinion on how the game could be improved with the community and there are a lot, so bear with me.

There needs to be different elevation/depression for some weapons in the game. For example, I heard the Laser Rifle was being nerfed? If so, one way it could be nerfed is its gun depression, so it’s not as effective in dueling anymore, (For example, you wouldn’t be able to shoot someone in dueling easily when he quickly moves up above you or under you only a few feet) and requires people to be less mobile and stay still, which will make LR finally serve for it’s true purpose, shooting long-range. This will push people to experiment with other weapons and balance weapons by adding another aspect to it.

The observer mode seems to need work on it, I like the free mode. But, when I’m spectating a person, I’d love to see exactly what’s on his screen. I often have to move the mouse to look around and find his dueler. And when using observer mode, I often get kicked by the server for being “AFK”.

Can you please bring back the compass that was on the HUD back in IA? It would be a great addition to not only PUGs but in pubs. Players would be able to say, enemy capper coming from north or such in TeamSpeak, instead of “coming from left” “which left?” so on…..Another thing that could be added is to be able to determine how many meters enemy and friendly targets are from you. It would be useful in situations such as determining how far the enemy capper is from the base, or how far friendly capper is from coming in to grab flag when you are an LO.
Have a King of the Tower mode? (King of the Hill variant) I’ve had some fun games with people when there’s a game and everyone go on one team, then each person tries to take control of the tower back in the base of Elegiac. They also try to shoot everyone else off or kill them. (I’m pretty sure this is CnH?)

Also, if you’re going to add boost core, please don’t take off boost nades. Those are useful in duels (Blocking Mid-Airs shots, knocking players down to the ground so I can shoot them more efficiently there.) Taking out boost nades will eliminate super jumps from the game, a huge aspect of chasing. Simply making boost core inferior to boost nades in terms of speed will fix it. Boost core can be an easier, but less efficient method of gaining speed. I guess you can say it’s a training wheel.

Bugs: http://i46.tinypic.com/2lt5wk9.jpg
This is on beta side of Elegiac under the base, if you shoot mortar or cluster launcher right where I’m aiming, it will go directly under the flag and appear there, injuring/killing anyone there. It’s a great place to shoot Kissy, Sin, Karnage if they’re HOFing on Beta side of Elegiac while all the while remaining protected, and the best part, they won’t even see you. On Alpha side, the loophole is around the same spot, but you’ll have to find it yourself. Credits to Alfred AKA, he showed me this (He doesn’t speak English, but after some exchange of rockets, he managed to get me there).

Defender

The two things at the top of my list are!

1# Fix the sound system in this game, its annoying.
Right now you hear weapon fire or explosion sounds from large distances.
Some weapon fire or explosion sounds should only be heard in a small area..;)

2# Add a loading message screen for servers, so admins can post links and info for custom maps or mods running.

SNAKEOPS

The two things at the top of my list are!

1# Fix the sound system in this game, its annoying.
Right now you hear weapon fire or explosion sounds from large distances.
Some weapon fire or explosion sounds should only be heard in a small area..;)

2# Add a loading message screen for servers, so admins can post links and info for custom maps or mods running.

It's not like I can hear rockets from all the way across the map? I certainly only hear shots from near me. Elaborate on this, please?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
There's a bug with the engine that can cause sounds to play even when you were not present to hear them if you go to the place where the sounds would have been played.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Please post bugs to the bugs forum please, rather than writing them up in a long post like this.

Sin

Private Tester
Can you please bring back the compass that was on the HUD back in IA? It would be a great addition to not only PUGs but in pubs. Players would be able to say, enemy capper coming from north or such in TeamSpeak, instead of “coming from left” “which left?” so on…..

Left/right is always determined by facing the enemy base. If you look at the enemy base, then left is left, and right is right. If you look away from their base, then it's reversed. The more skilled players in PuGs know this, I know you're just coming into that part of legions. As for the compass, nobody is going to take the time to position themselves nearly directly facing the capper and then read off the direction they're coming from. It's easier to just know what is left and right. When a capper with decent speed is coming, time is everything, and a quick "left" or "right" is better than a grammatically correct sentence or "Northwest."

Another thing that could be added is to be able to determine how many meters enemy and friendly targets are from you. It would be useful in situations such as determining how far the enemy capper is from the base, or how far friendly capper is from coming in to grab flag when you are an LO.

If you know that the capper is coming, then you don't need to know how far away he is. Just call out the side he's coming from, and say a good estimate of time. Once you play more, you get better as estimating his speed and ETA.

If you're playing LO, ask the cappers to call out their times. Calling out their time is pretty much just an ETA. The good cappers, when playing serious, always call their times.

As for the rest of your post, there's private testers for a reason. There's multiple threads in our private section of the forums going on about the sniper, different bugs and fixes, and all sorts of things. Don't assume nothing is going on. ;)

SNAKEOPS

The more skilled players in PuGs know this
Since I heard this game has a chance of being on Steam, (Or so I've heard) there will be huge amounts of new players, these features will only help them. There is no reason not to bring it back.
a quick "left" or "right" is better than a grammatically correct sentence or "Northwest."
When you're playing LO, you tend to face a lot of different directions, and I don't see how left is better than northwest, maybe it has less words? But, it's not like someone will go, "I'm too lazy to say a word with 2 syllables."

If you know that the capper is coming, then you don't need to know how far away he is. Just call out the side he's coming from, and say a good estimate of time. Once you play more, you get better as estimating his speed and ETA.

If you're playing LO, ask the cappers to call out their times. Calling out their time is pretty much just an ETA. The good cappers, when playing serious, always call their times.

Every time I play as capper, I try to call out my time but usually end up getting interrupted or over talked by someone in my team.

As for the rest of your post, there's private testers for a reason. There's multiple threads in our private section of the forums going on about the sniper, different bugs and fixes, and all sorts of things. Don't assume nothing is going on. ;)

The sniper rifle was an analogy for the gun depression suggestion, and there's no thread on the bug that was what I was talking about. I understand there's a lot that you guys are testing, but it doesn't cover everything, and as a community member, thought I should contribute. Overall, the game is fine but imagine about 2 thousand players at least playing this game from Steam....I'm pretty sure they'll find glitches that we haven't looked for. The features I mentioned don't have any negative setback, only to help the new players, so there's no harm in introducing it.

Skutki

how about we also get a compass telling us which way is up and down in the form on 'positive on the Z-axis' and 'negative on the Z-axis' cos you know...

game has a chance of being on Steam, (Or so I've heard) there will be huge amounts of new players, these features will only help them.

SNAKEOPS

Please post bugs to the bugs forum please, rather than writing them up in a long post like this.

Not the whole post was about bugs, only about 1/10th of it was. The others were suggestions, in it's proper place.

how about we also get a compass telling us which way is up and down in the form on 'positive on the Z-axis' and 'negative on the Z-axis' cos you know...

Sarcasm while funny, isn't frankly needed. Posts that don't contribute to the conversation for some reason get thread locked and not the user who posted it banned, let's try not making my thread locked. If you don't like any of my suggestion, please point it out, otherwise I can't see the point in replying.

Skutki

Sarcasm while funny, isn't frankly needed. Posts that don't contribute to the conversation for some reason get thread locked and not the user who posted it banned, let's try not making my thread locked. If you don't like any of my suggestion, please point it out, otherwise I can't see the point in replying.
Ok so you don't understand Sarcasm, let me translate to Simple English; a language created for those with language inabilities, such as yourself:

im not gonna give up room on my screen for a totally useless and >dynamic< piece of UI (dynamic in here means that it will move around and be annoying) ie. a compass that will point me to totally useless directions which are somewhat meta-virtual*; they have no 'real' representation in the 'real' game ie. there's no east or west as the Sun in game does not move. there's also no north or south as the map is not a sphere and therefore has no poles (also, in case you assumed there was any; there's no magnetic field on L:O maps, so no magnetic polarity either. Discard that previous sentence if your Sarcasm lessons haven't gone as far as Physics.)

However the maps do have relative directions which, as Sin has explained, can be deduced with the use of Brains. These are: left, right, front and Back. The way you deduce them, in case you didn't know (!!!) is relative to where your base is facing ie. the FACE of the base being the FRONT of it. To further improve your PUG communication skills I'm goning to provide an explanation of the current system of directions in the language of super-simple:

2hz70v4.jpg

As you can hopefully deduce a compass for these is unnecessary, since the player should be aware of where he is and where the enemy that he's looking at is (relatively to his own base).

[/Simple English]

* for those who wonder what do I mean by meta-virtual (surely not SNAKEOPS as he probably has the least inquisitive mind on these forums): virtual directions in a virtual reality; with the directions being virtual relatively to the reality that we're talking about.
tl;dr- too much physics or stuff.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Technically, there is a global "north" on maps, which is semi-relevant for spawn selection I suppose, but for all practical instances, you will know your orientation compared to the base which most will agree is the more important reference point, not an arbitrary direction we've called "North." You don't need to know which way "North" is in the game to play effectively. You do on the other hand need to know the orientation of yourself relative to your base. I'm assuming that is why it was removed (I was not involved in that decision, so I don't know the specific reason).

Sin

Private Tester
Why would you need to know what direction you're facing when you're on LO? If your team calls put that the enemy capper is returning to his base, that's what the special IFF is for and your awareness is for. As for the compass, the new players can learn something that simple easily and quickly, they don't need it. Unless they're stupid. I would write more, but I'm doing this from my phone and don't have the time currently.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I dunno, I like the idea of a compass. Sure, the way Legions is now it seems too simple to warrant a compass, but throw in more objectives (or even look beyond a game of CTF) and I could see how an active compass would be helpful. Take, for example, a map where there are no set base locations, spawn points vary depending on your teams location, and there's a tower in the middle. In a situation like that, it'd be easier to communicate your location (ie: "I'm east of the Tower!" versus "I'm right of the Tower!").

Reactions: Sin

Sin

Private Tester
I like the idea for non-base gameplay, but for now...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

SNAKEOPS

I dunno, I like the idea of a compass. Sure, the way Legions is now it seems too simple to warrant a compass, but throw in more objectives (or even look beyond a game of CTF) and I could see how an active compass would be helpful. Take, for example, a map where there are no set base locations, spawn points vary depending on your teams location, and there's a tower in the middle. In a situation like that, it'd be easier to communicate your location (ie: "I'm east of the Tower!" versus "I'm right of the Tower!").

I feel as this may be a bit more necessary since the new game modes, but I haven't tested it out yet.