This would be handy...

Sin

Private Tester
282-mother-of-god.jpg

Triad

Legions Developer
That's really cool, thanks for the post.

Javascript games are going to become very popular someday since no plugins are required to play them, all you need is a browser. If you can make a game or app in Javascript, it will work on the PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, Android phones, Linux Operating systems etc. Now that these types of tools are coming out it's easier than ever to make games. I've written some basic ones by rendering to the HTML5 canvas element for fun and it was very easy to do, but it still has a ways to go.

Belberith

Legions Developer
Wow. That is an amazing tool. It looks incredibly useful, and likely has other awesome features not mentioned in the video.

Belberith

Legions Developer
Imagine playing Legions before the mortar was modified to be reasonable. Everyone is complaining about the spam, and a dev happens to be in-game. So the dev simply modifies the server's values for damage and arming time right then and there, and fiddles with them until everyone (or at least every one of the devs) is happy with them. It could take only a couple of weeks to completely balance any new weapon or player ability such as cores... Definitely handy.

Triad

Legions Developer
Imagine playing Legions before the mortar was modified to be reasonable. Everyone is complaining about the spam, and a dev happens to be in-game. So the dev simply modifies the server's values for damage and arming time right then and there, and fiddles with them until everyone (or at least every one of the devs) is happy with them. It could take only a couple of weeks to completely balance any new weapon or player ability such as cores... Definitely handy.
You can change datablock values in game right now.

datablock.property=value;

I also think there are some tools that you can buy that show all datablocks in a GUI. Of course, the future feature isn't implemented.

Belberith

Legions Developer
That works in-game? The new value will be read immediately? I thought TS read from pre-compiled .dso files...

Triad

Legions Developer
Yes, I use it extensively when developing. The datablocks are stored in memory, so when you change a value it changes the value in memory. Datablocks are C++ objects which get initialized by the scripts, so you can change their values at runtime.

By the way, reading from a file is literally millions of times slower than reading from RAM.

Belberith

Legions Developer
Oh ok. But changing the number in the file won't do anything in-game, since it's not a handle to the actual value in memory, right?

And yes, I know it is lol.

Triad

Legions Developer
Yeah, if the game is running and you change the number in the compiled file it shouldn't change. However, it may be worth testing it to prove me wrong.