The regen core

Helvian

Stop pointing your guns at me for just a minute.

This green core certainly drives 99% of you into a berserker rage when you hear the name, let alone see someone using it (i.e. me). Now, this list may not be the most complete...but here are some of the most prevalent reasons for the banishment of this core:
  • The name takes too long to type (Life's too short for 5 letters)
  • It's annoying
  • I don't like the noise it makes
  • I hate the colour green
  • The core begins with R
Oh what, you were expecting a coherent list? Well, I'm so sorry about that. How about giving me, and yourselves, a legitimate solution to the core. You've all jumped to the conclusion that this core must be burnt at the stake; a sacrifice for Prometheus to have a good barbecue tonight.

Well, what happened to the mortar? Also very green (I'm noticing a pattern with you all), annoying and generally considered to be overpowered in it's hayday. Was it removed, never to be heard from again? No. In fact, it's been nerfed to a respectable level, and I believe menstrual-induced fits of rage against this weapon have been reduced twentyfold. Things can work out WITHOUT completely removing them. First, we'll diagnose the problem with the regen core. Well, from my point of view it's certainly not the amount of health it regenerates. No, the problem lies in this cleverly encrypted sentence: "You just threw the flag and cannot warp yet"

Kind of an oversight there. If you somehow still need guidance, here's the fix in layman's terms: Give the regeneration core the same post-flag cooldown as the warp.

Other solutions floating about the ether include giving the regen core a preparation/cooking time of about 1-1.5 seconds, making it only usable on the ground, and increasing the cooldown itself, to remedy the problem of non-flag carriers regenerating too frequently.
Just saying, don't delete something after you've done nothing to even trial a fix.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Why totally ban the Regen Core? Because you can already heal up at a good rate without having that *chocolate cookies* thing, sorry Helvian, its not fun. Make the regen core purple!

Helvian

So the general response has been "ehhhhhhhh we can't be bothered to even try".

I have no problem with you going ahead and removing it, it's not like my life depends on it and it's not like I posted this for my own benefit. But come on, just at least try and do something in incremental steps, instead of completely removing it. The management of this issue is genuinely horrifying.

3lionz

Legions Developer
So the general response has been "ehhhhhhhh we can't be bothered to even try".

I have no problem with you going ahead and removing it, it's not like my life depends on it and it's not like I posted this for my own benefit. But come on, just at least try and do something in incremental steps, instead of completely removing it. The management of this issue is genuinely horrifying.
The amount of people against the regen core is more than the people for it. So why even bother if people are not going to use it? If they do nerf it, even less people will use it, if they do it wrong, people will carry on complaining. Not only that, but people care about it so little, that you had to make a thread to defend against removal.

Also, have you noticed that the other cores are focused on movement and have actual drawbacks?
I.e. Overdrive and Warp both use up health which will take some time to regenerate and you actually have to make a decision on whether or not it is worth using!

Regen on the other hand, is ALWAYS useful, it does not provide movement but regenerates your health pool.

It's drawbacks? Energy is required, limiting movement. Seems logical, right?
Well it would be, except your energy will recharge at a hugely increased rate compared to health. Not only that, but you don't even need to make a decision as to whether or not it will be beneficial. The only way you could have a disadvantage from using it is a direct hit. If they miss, you instantly regenerate health with no real drawbacks and will soon have a full pool of energy again.

Trying to repair by having it disabled after a flag throw... not really that big of a nerf. It still has the original properties that make it increasingly annoying in duels.

Why try to repair a core that nobody cares for? It shouldn't have been released in the first place.
The only nerf I would suggest is that it sets you on fire, melting you to the floor.

Also, yellow is the best colour. You are all crazy.

Helvian

your energy will recharge at a hugely increased rate compared to health.
Then fix that. Add an energy penalty. Freeze your energy regeneration for a short time. Have reduced energy regeneration.

Trying to repair by having it disabled after a flag throw... not really that big of a nerf.
Is enforcing actual teamplay by not regenerating your health behind multiple layers of walls not big of a nerf?

The only nerf I would suggest is that it sets you on fire, melting you to the floor.
Firebomb core. That'll do fine.

3lionz

Legions Developer
People only use it at the moment to take advantage of it. Nerfing it will prove to make it even less popular.

Regen is not just used by flag carriers, hence my "dueling" statement.
... Also, that isn't really teamplay. More an added bonus to make it even harder for attackers.

I agree. Change regen to firebomb and I think everyone will be a lot happier.

Helvian

People only use it at the moment to take advantage of it. Nerfing it will prove to make it even less popular.
If people don't like the core, then there's certainly another way to implement this mechanic, i.e. a medgun for support roles (these would have diminished effects on a flag carrier)

... Also, that isn't really teamplay. More an added bonus to make it even harder for attackers.
Co-ordination between team members to take and pass the flag isn't teamplay? Then what is it then?

Triad

Legions Developer
Nobody has worked on this game for months. Things are stuck the way they are for now, sorry. There really is no point in discussing this.

3lionz

Legions Developer
... but I like to have these hypothetical "discussions"! It makes me feel like things are happening!

... the mechanic could work as a replacement for a weapon, this is true, but in it's current state as a core (Which is the subject of this soon to be locked thread), it simply will not work. At least, not without some serious changes that simply arn't worth the time.

Also, using a regen core when passing would not need any communication as again, it has no drawbacks. The players would just use it on a whim. No tactics required.

*goes back to cave*

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Slow regen boost (1%/sec ish) and stops your energy regen when active. 2 second cooldown on toggle. This was one of the ideas flying around originally.

St3lth

Backend Contributor
Why was it removed? There were two main reasons, that led to the removal of the Regen Core. First of all while you had the Regen Core equipped you could also passively regen health, which was really OP. The second reason was that, people would jump into pubs with the regen core, go over to the enemy base and would slaughter the enemy defense. It would take about 3-4 guys to take out one guy with the regen core. This led to many tantrums thrown over TS and in game. Thus the regen core was removed, atleast from the the TX servers.

If you want to see the regen core put back into the TX servers, contructively critique the regen core and state what could be changed to make it a more viable core.

Bear in mind that the regen core was only removed from the TX servers and not from the game itself.