The Default: change it

Propkid

Plain and simple: do something with the default textures for weapons, explosions, projectiles and maybe for characters. New players don't all feel like going to the forums and browsing through the list of modifications to find something better than the defaults. They are not the prettiest skins, you have to admit.
I call for a vote/discussion: pick the skins for the weapons that are to become the defaults. Since there are too many of them I'm not making a poll.

Mabeline

God-Tier
It's important for the default art to be in a consistent maintainable art style that we can produce new work in. People can always customize their games, but going back over and replacing the textures really isn't high on the list.

It's good that you guys work on things, and it's good to have a personal version of the game you like, but I haven't really seen anything that I'd put in the mainline if only because consistency is an important part of our art team's priorities.

Using community made skins is also bound to be a highly political affair that will most likely leave quite a few people bitter for a dubious benefit.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Everything Mabe said.

I, for one, have always used and will always use the default skins, rets, and hud. Almost everything else available are recolors of the existing skins, and while I've always applauded the community for modding the game to make it feel more personal to them, the skins that get made are almost always flashier, more chaotic, or colored non-neutral colors (which makes them feel out-of-place on certain maps). Texturing is a delicate art, especially on weapons, since they really shouldn't draw the player's attention away from the battlefield and the action on the screen.

Then again, I've always infinitely preferred the official versions of games to the modded versions, so I might just be being prudish. =)

Oh, and the flag halo sucks. God, I hate it.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I just feel, if there was some kind of option, in game to switch mods. It would be a lot quicker than going through all the .dds files and such and renaming them all. Maybe if you could choose packs of mods, like with Minecraft, just my thought, maybe something to consider, though definitely still, as you said, not high on the list.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I just feel, if there was some kind of option, in game to switch mods. It would be a lot quicker than going through all the .dds files and such and renaming them all. Maybe if you could choose packs of mods, like with Minecraft, just my thought, maybe something to consider, though definitely still, as you said, not high on the list.

We're definitely planning on having players be able to select which player skins they want to use, so building in functionality that allows them to pick other things as well -- weapons, rets, huds, etc. -- seems like it wouldn't be TOO much harder to do.

/me braces for the Mabelscream.

skypredator

Just compile a list of the said modifications, assign a codec string to each, implement them as tag-alongs for the Pref.CS file (I think this is the right file), and add an interface in which a player may select the said skins (something like the Class Selection list, but with thumbnails next to each). I did this a few days ago, and it worked. But beware, sometimes my skins just wouldn't show up, and I hadn't an interface to choose which skin I wanted. I tried to assign a hotkey for each to press after selecting the said class (I.E., Outrider - Sniper - *hotkey goes here*, Respawn). This worked a few times, but not after repeated trial and error runs. Not a very good thing, but I've perhaps got the basics. This is as far as I got, because I knew that you guys would most likely do it for us. :p