Team Size (10 vs 10)

By-Tor

Private Tester
I was wondering (hoping) that the MAIN focus for Legions in-game team size would 10 vs 10. After ALL my experience in match play, I have to say that 1o vs 10 is by far the most balanced. You have enough to really make up sub-teams for both offense and defense.

You can always have 7 vs 7 or 14 vs 14 options, but I'd like to see 10 vs 10 be the primary goal.

Of course map design plays a critical role in this.
What do you guys think?

loc

#1 Private Tester
I remember some 8v8 scrims on frost and nivo being a bit crammed,but like Bytor stated, the map design would make all the difference. Bladerun of course with its size would be perfect and would be quite fun with a 10v10 allowing for a broader range of strategies to be be tried.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I like the idea of 10 v 10 standard. Even Frostbyte, which normally has 7 v 7's, would allow for more def/cappers. It would be interesting to see how teams decide to distribute players to roles with larger teams (more def, more O, sweeper, etc.)
As Tingency said, more players = more fun :D
Unless it's mapubare or something. In which case /banhammer

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I started writing a post about how I felt this was entirely a map design problem. Differently sized and structured maps could call for different sizes and makeups of teams. Period.

Well... maybe not so Period.

When you get right down to it, every map should endeavor to support the playstyles of every Legions player -- you don't want someone feeling like they can't contribute. No matter what you feel your "role" tends to be in a given game, you should be able to find your niche when you're playing on any given map, and fill that niche well. Take TF2: a solid TF2 clan will almost assuredly have most, if not all, of the classes in play at any given point in time. Likewise, in a WoW raid, you'll need two tanks, two to three healers, and five to six DPS players to ensure a boss kill, regardless of the fight. The tactics might be different, but the playstyles -- which are embodied in the classes being played -- stay consistent and are always provided for, regardless of the map, or the gametype, or the fight.

A good map in Legions (or any game, for that matter) should do the same thing: provide opportunities for each player on a (theoretically BALANCED) team to be able to contribute, regardless of the niche they're filling. That means the capper, the light offense, the chaser, the HoF, the heavy offense, the light defense, the (insert your role here), needs to be provided for. Maybe 7v7 is the magic number where EVERY person in EVERY role is contributing to the whole; maybe it's 10v10. And of course, there are going to be maps optimized for more players, and there are going to be maps geared towards fewer. But giving every player responsibility is critical in giving every player the fun-factor, and if you bump the number too high, your players can end up feeling a little on the useless side. Maybe there are too many players on defense and they're unnecessary; maybe the map's too crowded, and players that would have had specific goals to achieve instead find themselves overwhelmed in the chaos. But either way, it ends up knocking the fun factor down a couple notches for SOMEONE, even if it's not for everyone.

So, yeah, map size is definitely an important factor. But ensuring every player has a role is just as important. We should be careful when considering raising that number.

Unless we're just talking about deathmatch. In which case, bring on the hordes. =)

- Daph

Buhlitz

Honestly 7 v 7 is the favorite in my opinion, and I think legions plays best and most balanced with an odd number, because then it forces teams to decide where that extra person goes, offense, defense, mid field, etc.

Dacil

how about it be the size of whatever....does it really matter?! as long as its not like 3 vs 3 or lower lol

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Personally, I prefer to see minimum team sizes in-game. Although 7v7 is very low, I think there could be room for 8v8 or 9v9. 10v10 to me is too big and would ruin playing smaller maps, in my opinion. Big team sizes though may open the doors to more oddball positions.

We'll see, we'll experiment, nothings set in stone yet.

A2

10v10 to me is too big and would ruin playing smaller maps
But it'll be quite useful on larger maps. A limit to 7 v 7 would be quite perfect on smaller maps, to reduce any sort of lag. Options for more players will be fine as well.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
But it'll be quite useful on larger maps. A limit to 7 v 7 would be quite perfect on smaller maps, to reduce any sort of lag. Options for more players will be fine as well.

Defiantly, It will just depend on the competition rules / how many players there are for pugs