swords and sheilds

do you ike this idea

• Total voters

jeffjn

I'm thinking it would be great to have an optional sword and shield attachment for close up battle that would be interesting like some type of gundam or transformer like battle shields to protect from gunfire than the sword for melee attacks the shields have guns embedded in them for additional firepower and weaponry also the optional spear, axe, hammer, or javelin/lance would be great

also alternate classes like a tank like turret body suit heavy mg gunners and stuff lol it would be a good idea just saying

Close-combat melee weapons have been suggested and tested before. Usually this idea gets shot down because the chaingun is already a super effective close range weapon.

jeffjn

i think it would be great to have a shield an actual physical shield with the sword together the shield would have guns and shoot while rushing forward...the sword and shield class would have more perks like an extended hp bar or energy bar to stay in the air longer or slower energy drain more powerful rockets or levitation unit

or instead of that there should be some special aerial class a class that stays in the air for an extended period of time special weapons like heat seeking missiles or mortar strike optional hover ability or a helicopter like body attachment / jet body attachment special zoom ability and all of that good stuff

Siantlark

We got flat out word from Mabel (Lead source coder I think. Not too sure) that there wouldn't be melee. Ever.

Forgot the exact quote but it ran like that.

Outlawl

Macabre
Hey Jeffjn,

I support your thread about the addition of melee weapons, however you have to keep in mind, the topic has already been discussed at great length ,and unfortunately, it seems that it wouldn't fit into the scheme of mechanics that the game dictates. I encourage you to look over this thread, seeing as though this is where the community has had previous talks about the implementation melee weapons.

Also, to the rest of you- Don't post "Discussed before, lock!" Obviously the person creating the thread wasn't aware of the previous discussion, hence why they made the thread. If anything, link to the previous discussion to help the OP find answers to what he's asking.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
The idea seems like a good one until you consider that LD would use it to absolutely destroy incoming capppers :p
You'd have to implement some sort of shield-esque device just to make capping possible

Propkid

Only 2 sensible ways to make a 'shield' system IMO (I'm using time ranges, because I'm not sure what would be best skill-based and sensible: a short-lasting shield that can be used often or a long-lasting shield that can be used rarely):

1. This is a 'shield' design that's a force field around the player. An ability that can be activated for X seconds (from 2 to 7) and recharges for Y seconds (from 4 to 20) after each use (or number of uses if we are taking the short-period design). If we are talking about the short-lasting shield then while active it disables OD and weapons, but it blocks all damage on user (including fall damage) and neglects all explosion impacts on the user. If we are talking about a long-lasting shield then it increases the player's fuel usage by 15%, it has own HP and it lets ~30% of the damage through.​

2. This is more of an item shield. Transparent, held like a weapon. You know how the player hit-box is a cube? (don't tell me it isn't...) Well the equivalent size of the front wall of that cube, meaning the player's front side, is protected while he holds that shield. This means that any rocket, CG bullet or LR beam hitting that shield doesn't deal damage. However that shield moves vertically together with the player's sights, so if you look at something it won't deal any damage. This includes explosions, but you must be 'looking' at them in order for the shield to absorb it. The impact is still inflicted on the player though. The shield has it's own HP and is destroyed after ~3 direct RL hits. Restocks on ammo stations, uses one of the 'item' keys. Unable to shoot or throw nades while holding it. Enabling OD makes you lose the shield (drop). Enabling/disabling it takes ~2 seconds. Could be 'abused' by LO and cappers by having shielded cappers launched into the air by their team-mates' use of frag combos and MAs.​

And no, I don't like the idea. I just threw out what I thought would make sense. IMO all characters should have some sort of a slap/melee/sneak-kill (yeah! post-sneak-kill respawn time=12s, LO gone wild!! :D) option but the shields would need to get overly complicated to balance out.

Vox

Look at tribes vengeance, This game has a chaingun and a melee weapon. I say there should be some sort of spear like weapon for close up combat. Shields would not be a good idea imo because theres a weapon for an arm on one side and the other holds a flag...

Sulazoh

Exept exteel died. =[

I would love to see a sword or something as a third weapon option on one of the classes, simply for fun....
Surely all it would hurt is the developer's heads as they try to figure out how to make it work...?
Or am I missing something.... Might change the way the game works too much?
I dunno, it brings back Exteel memories, it being the only game ive ever really played....

But imagine boosting strait at an enimy and up into the air, and just before you collide with your opponent, in that ugly spot where you cant hit them with anything yet theyre REALLY close, you could scroll to your sword and lash at them a few times!

Come from the air right overtop of the running capper due to you having a greater speed, look down and strike from above!
Like a massive "dragoon"
Epic melee duels?...

I kinda like the idea... though the original poster seems a tad over zealous imo.... 0.0
sulazoh~

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Here's the problem I have with Melee weapons:

First, the size of the maps. If you look at games that do have melee weapons and melee capabilities (half life 2's crowbar, the Halo franchise, Unreal Tournament, etc.) They are quite successful, but they lack something that Legions has: Size and speed. Epic flying melee battles, while sounding awesome, would require more timing and setup than makes sense in a game at the pace Legions plays at.

Secondly, trying to get into one of these melee battles is just tactically inadvisable. (Think the sword guy from Indiana Jones, who he just straight up shoots.) If somebody comes rushing in with a sword and shield, perhaps the shield will protect them from the damage from a rocket blast but it won't stop physics. The player's heroic charge will be reduced to a sitting duck, switching to long range weapons as five explosive projectiles scream in his direction. Even if you do get into a massive melee battle, somebody else is going to intervene, which already happens. (Anybody who's played LD with me knows that I'll try to kill their targets, just to streamline the process of making the base safe.) Not only are you suddenly at the very whim of all the ranged weapons once you switch, they're just too far away you to do anything.

Now, to turn right around and make a suggestion. For balance, what might make sense is something like the Shield Gun from UT 2004. You have to choose between having a shield and charging up the weapon to melee, and then doing it, but in this game, its still just too impractical.

Propkid

+ on my previous post:
Though I think all classes should have some melee weapon, I think that people need to realize the scale of combat, even close ranged. Try midairing a person who seems to be flying directly next to you. You'll realize that the shortest MA you'll manage to get will be about 10m away (I've actually once managed to do a 0m MA and one 1m but they were pure luck). 10m long sword? nahh...

Libra

I personally think it would bring variety to the game it would be fun speeding along with swords and shields across the map

maybe the Melee weapon should be some sort of wrist knife weapon