Sword

Challenger

I think I have an idea about a new secondary weapon, a sword or maybe spear. I was thinking about it when I saw that the Bot has a free hand. This sword I think it would be funny because it will have high damage but only at short range, less than 1-2m. I think it would be more funnny and useful instead using rockets/grenades in short ranges because of the high splash danage witch affects your bot almost with same amunt of damage like it damages your enemy. This weapon shouldn't have a number of uses like cg's bullets/ rocket launcher's missiles. It should be high damage like 70-80% on raider because it is pretty embarassing to let someone get so close to you. The number for sentinel should be like 50-60% because it is slow and for outrider 90-100% because it's light and fast. I hope you like this idea and maybe we will enjoy it in game.

P.S.:If a player has the flag it shouldn't be able to use his sword because he'll be holding the flag with that hand.

MJ1284

We've had numerous discussions about melee weapons and all of them have been concluded by Mabel saying "Melee weapons won't work".

Please use Search next time before making threads.

anak

VIP
we should make a "these have already been suggested, don't make the freaking thread" thread.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Still, encouraging people's ideas is a massive part of the developers feedback and possibly inspiration for the game, however many times an idea is suggested. I agree with Anak on the thread idea though, might stop some of these threads being created. I think something like that was on the old old IA forums as well.

Challenger

Well you didn't got my idea. I dont want to change weapon to use this sword... I want to have it my left, free hand and I want it to have a different key to control it, not the normal left click...

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Well you didn't got my idea. I dont want to change weapon to use this sword... I want to have it my left, free hand and I want it to have a different key to control it, not the normal left click...

Well that's not a bad idea actually, but using the free hand up with a sword would make it impossible to grab the flag and fire hand grenades.

Abandoned

Well that's not a bad idea actually, but using the free hand up with a sword would make it impossible to grab the flag and fire hand grenades.
Magically drop the handnades? ;)

I've read the OP, and the sword seems too over-powered.
This weapon being too strong of a hit will change the way people duel.
It should be an optional weapon, something like nades and combos. So it doesn't do too much damage and change the gameplay.

You havent thought about defense have you?
Getting bodyblocked + rocket to the face is bad enough, but a sword that does 90-100% damage on Outrider (I know the damage could be changed) just provides the defense with an inpenetrable defense.

Abandoned

I'm sorry that I didn't reply in any great detail, but yes, the sword would be overpowered and the idea has already been tossed out. My focus in that post was that he had a different way of thinking about it.

Also, presuming that I'm an idiot is also a bad idea. I have thought about defense and I have read the 'sword' idea before. Over a 1000 posts on these forums and a clan leader should make me at least fairly competent when talking about this subject.

I understand, we both have our flaws.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I think i wont seymore of this thread cause its gonna get locked

You must think of poor Seymour as some thread locking mutant!

Personally, I think the idea of a offhand melee weapon is kinda cool. I don't think it should be overly powerful and should require energy to use. It could make for a nice alternative to a hand grenade (you lose the range and power/boost of the hand nade, but gain a point blank, unlimited ammunition weapon).

You must think of poor Seymour as some thread locking mutant!

Personally, I think the idea of a offhand melee weapon is kinda cool. I don't think it should be overly powerful and should require energy to use. It could make for a nice alternative to a hand grenade (you lose the range and power/boost of the hand nade, but gain a point blank, unlimited ammunition weapon).
I would like it too, but you'd have to add in a feature so that if the players are colliding at some speed, then it can't do damage, and if you've Just collided, you can't attack with it immediately (the impact jars your hand or something). This way, it'd be used for slow speeds as a little extra damage if in a duel you come really close, or if you're crazy and run out of ammo, however Can't be used either immediately before a bodyblock, or immediately after a bodyblock, (both of which would allow the whole OP'ness we've talked about).

Actually, if you can come up with a viable lore reason for the no damage at high speed I think that would work :D

PS, i'd suggest the speed be somewhere around oh say 88m/s of relative velocity. (so they can't be both flying at eachother at 80m/s.)