Swamp Map?

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Isn't the main purpose of legions to bring back the freedom of flight? Thick forests would just get in the way.
As MJ stated. Although its freedom of MOVEMENT. The idea is that if you see a tower up there or a huge cliff, you can get on it. Flying is just the tool we use for it. Alas if Disci wishes to tarzan his way through a jungle he should be allowed to do so!

I disagree with the whole tree dilemma. I'd love to see them on some maps, personally. Not in large quantities, but I'm sure someone could make a few clusters of trees that works well with the map. I mean, towers get in the way of skiing too, but they didn't stop us, did they? Well, they didn't stop me at least...

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
But towers are relatively regularly shaped. Trees, like any organic object are not going to be consistent. I mean, maybe if you had some sort of ultra-sequioa tree that would act as an integral part of map. If you get it large enough, it wouldn't be so bad as you could just justify it as indestructible, but ordinarily sized trees cause issues with realism if you hit them, let alone what was mentioned with the sheer technical issues of them.

So, like I said, if you want a monster tree that is the characteristic feature of a map that, for instance had a series of tunnels and whatnot inside it, I'd be okay since it wouldn't be so bad, but if we tried putting lots of small ones down, we run into issues...

Unknown

Private Tester
Trees wouldn't that be that big of a problem in Legions. Other than any possible technical issues, it's not that difficult to dodge something in your way while skiing (especially in Legions) and if you do hit it, then you know where it is and should have the common sense to not hit it the next time. Also, most of that junk and/or spare parts in the middle of the map on Frostbyte and Blade Run (not towers) is not that different annoying wise than a tree would be. Just go around it.

24:45 to 25:00 is the worst thing that could happen with trees up and running in game, and keep in mind that it only happened once in that half hour long game, and it was more of a lol moment than something that majorly affected the course of the game, IMO. That whole video is pretty fun to watch as well. :D

Siantlark

Actually the giant tree thing would be...interesting... Maybe. If it were implemented correctly there could be a whole host of fun things like...

"Rain grenades on people who can't reach you!"

"Lol at the people trying to reach you!"

And my personal favorite:

"Turtle in the tree!"

Jk.

Huge caves could also be a nice idea imo. It would provide for a different playing experience and make way for some interesting moves and routes.

As I mentioned earlier, I like Asa believe clusters or even single trees could add to the game more than take from it.

Volt, I have to say I disagree with your comment (reply 28), both where you comment "But towers are relatively regularly shaped." and "Trees, like any organic object are not going to be consistent."
How would you define regularly shaped? Does it include sections of floor jutting out of the ground? the grids on the side of a sniper tower, which can be stood on? I mean, They're hardly a nice regular Cube are they.
Trees on the other hand. Trees can be one central trunk, and if you want to go to specifics a few major side branches (like in t2). Everything else can be made non-corporeal, and explained that it doesn't block you because it's just a couple of twigs and leaves. Also, you'll find most games don't make every single tree that is created unique. Generally, they create 5 or so different varieties, and then just mix and match, trying to avoid putting identical ones together. If you get caught from running into a tree, don't complain that it wasn't exactly regular. Firstly, that would be more realistic, as you shouldn't know the shape of every object you see because you've seen it somewhere else, and know it to be the same. Secondly, If you flew into the damn tree it's your own fault. I mean, you wouldn't say it wasn't your fault if you flew into a tower, would you?

I would also like to see rocks. Some little ones which are too low to much you up if you're skiing, and some big boulders too. Can't have maps without rocks. (I'm not including the Core "flaming spikes" by the way)

Huge caves could also be a nice idea imo. It would provide for a different playing experience and make way for some interesting moves and routes.
You say that. I visualise "Cavern" from Tribes: Vengeance.

No.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Stone towers could be designed in much the same way as what exists now. Personally, I envision massive stone spires. These would be conducive to skiing and would still function as towers. It is for this reason that I said that they would be regularly shaped (though not necessarily identical of course). They would all be more or less the same and though would function as obstacles, they could also be used as places to get started since one could jump off one and ski down the side to pick up speed or go up one side at speed and go down the other.

Trees offer no such advantage. Trees are obstacles. Period. End of story. Trees are not conducive to skiing. They are conducive to sniping. Its going to be a lot easier to shoot out of a forest than into one. Even with them scattered though, think of Zenith Cauldron. The cables that hang from the walls inward from each base were prime spots for snipers, but because of the shape of them, getting a shot in was almost impossible. The same would apply with even one tree. Branches will stop rockets, grenades, lasers, and bullets.

Towers: provide skiing benefits
Trees: only benefit snipers

On the subject of trees.
Instead of those, we could have Seymour Lurking within the clusters ready to steal your babies.

On the subject of water.
We could have Disci swimming in it, so every time you set foot in it, an awesome song plays while he gobbles you.

On a more serious note, I can see water happening, but trees.
Trees are horrible obstacles,
Barely ANY benefit, if any, unless they were dead logs that formed a ramp.

Stone towers make me happy to OverDrive off of :)