Strafe-running in Legions

DOS4/GW

So strafe-running (or skiing) speeds you up in Legions. This is probably surprising to no one, and I'm likely wasting my breath, but I haven't seen or heard any recent discussion on the matter.

I've done a little experimenting with flat surfaces and noticed somewhat of a difference. The outrider seems to accelerate roughly 14% faster. The Raider gets 7.5% and the Sentinel gets around 6%. The bonus shows up while traveling through the air as well. I'm not sure about strafe-skiing up and down hills, as it's very difficult to pull off, but I would imagine the affect would be similar.

14% percent doesn't sound like a lot, but it could mean a speed of 114 instead of 100, which can sometimes be the difference between making it home with the flag or cratering.

It's probably not easily fixable, and probably isn't that big of a deal, but I figured it might be worth discussing a little.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Nifty, DOS. A very interesting find; I've never tried strafe-skiing with the intention of picking up more speed; it's always just been a directional thing.

If your observations are correct, than it's an exploit that takes a fair amount of skill to use while still running routes. As such, I'd be inclined to let it be; it doesn't seem to be game-breaking at the moment, there are more pressing things to deal with, and it seems fair to reward additional effort with a (fairly minor) boost in speed.

That said, if it starts getting exploited or creates an unreasonable gap between new and veteran players, we might have to take a look at it.

Stop giving out our sekrets. ;)

So THAT'S how you're chasing in a heavy! =)

Gheist

King of all Goblins
I honestly assumed that this was common knowledge (which reminds me that I still have to write a post about "Contagious OD"...). I mean, that's how you make good turns at high speeds. Find a suiting bowl/hill, "lean into the curve" and strafe, conserve your momentum. Doing it while skiing a straight line is quite silly, but whatever floats your boat...

Reactions: Sin

DOS4/GW

I honestly assumed that this was common knowledge (which reminds me that I still have to write a post about "Contagious OD"...). I mean, that's how you make good turns at high speeds. Find a suiting bowl/hill, "lean into the curve" and strafe, conserve your momentum. Doing it while skiing a straight line is quite silly, but whatever floats your boat...

I'm not sure you're thinking about what I'm referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafing_(gaming)#Straferunning

Sin

Private Tester
Contagious OD....Ah good times. I thought that was common knowledge :O

phanakapan

Private Tester
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is exactly, but it should be common knowledge that when doing routes you must hold forward and a direction at the same time to carve with terrain while maintaining speed. Additionally, when you are going really fast, 200+ if you actually look sideways and hold forward plus the direction you are looking, while in the air, you will maintain speed and be able to curve much much better. on lots of zenith routes you can one or two touch home at extremely tight curving angles while maintaining 200+. Sometimes you are almost looking backwards even to maximize the curve.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Okay, there's a disconnect going on here. I believe DOS was originally talking about using strafe-skiing to accelerate more rapidly on straightaways. Of course it stands to reason that leaning into curves helps you overcome inertia and build speed; I assumed he was talking about what Gheist called a "quite silly" move: using it on straightaways explicitly for the purpose of gaining speed not otherwise reachable, given all other factors being equal.

DOS4/GW

Okay, there's a disconnect going on here. I believe DOS was originally talking about using strafe-skiing to accelerate more rapidly on straightaways.

Yes, I was specifically talking about the general increase in acceleration when pressing two non-conflicting movement keys down as opposed to just pressing forward. Regardless of terrain. I am very aware of what strafing is usually used for in the game.

Gheist's posts sounded as though he was misreading mine. Guess I misread his.
tongue.png