Star Citizen

Fixious

Test Lead
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/26/roberts-on-star-citizen-becoming-a-space-crime-lord/

m0XS6.gif

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
250 backed

this game is gonna kick so much ass

I am hoping there are carrier type ships (I havent looked into the game that much) as I wanna role with people and haul them around, then BAM fighters exit my ship, and protoss the *dance* outta people!

250 backed

this game is gonna kick so much ass

I am hoping there are carrier type ships (I havent looked into the game that much) as I wanna role with people and haul them around, then BAM fighters exit my ship, and protoss the *dance* outta people!

Did you put in $250?! o_o

I think I put in $40 for the alpha/beta since I don't want to miss out on it.

Fixious

Test Lead
This has been a dream for longer than Star Citizen has been in the works. You can see the first hints at it in Privateer and Freelancer. I talked in detail in 1999 when I first unveiled Freelancer about my goal of having a player-driven dynamic economy for Freelancer Online (which was going to go into production after the single player game before Microsoft bought Digital Anvil).

Today, with Star Citizen, we finally have technology that's advanced enough and a playerbase that is sophisticated enough to appreciate a fully simulated economy.

What has surprised us most is the fact that players are as interested in seeing this happen as we are. It was always in the spec, but it was never something we thought would bring people into the community. I think this is one of the major strengths about Star Citizen: There is no one play path; you can focus on combat, trading, exploring, or building an economic empire.

Yes. Star Citizen doesn't shy away from PvP, but we're not building a game around it either. We want experiences for everyone, from loners who do not want to play a multiplayer game at all to large squadrons who want to tangle with each other in major galactic warfare. So you'll have everything from distant stars to be discovered on your own to Vanduul invasions to be fended off.

We're creating different experiences for different kinds of players, and then we're wrapping them up together in the same world. My dream is to have both PvE and PvP players in the same persistent universe, with both of them feeling that they inhabit a dynamic living universe with plenty of opportunity and challenge without feeling that they are giving anything up. I kind of see it like a swimming pool with a shallow and deep end: Players can venture out as far as they want, at their own pace. They aren't thrown in the deep end at the start, but they also don't have to stay in the shallow end if they want more of a challenge.

That's the concept of the slider and the different levels of law and order in the various systems. If you want to make a nice steady living being a trader in the heart of the UEE, you don't have to worry about being attacked by other players, but if you're looking for more of a return or score and are willing to take some risks by venturing into unregulated space, we have that for you too. This way the player can choose dynamically during his play session what he's interested in -- it could be a dynamic blend of the two types or just PvE or PvP, but it will be contextual and make sense in the lore of the universe rather than an artificial construct like asking a player whether he wants to be on a PvE world server or a PvP server.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/0...xtra-chris-roberts-on-star-citizens-persiste/