Spray

PuppyGuard

Pressing a default key will emit small beads from you that can block rockets and grenades. They only deal 1% of damage. The tiny metal beads are spaced equally around you and shoot off into the distance at high speed, and disappear after 17 meters of travel. They explode after the limit of their travel, but the explosions do not cause damage. When the beads hit a grenade or rocket, the warhead will detonate and from there on.
To make it interesting it should have a "hold down the key longer for the objects to launch farther" thing.

Lin

This could work, but lets not make it a spray. I think a single burst with a cooldown, with a short enough radius that you could still get caught by splash damage would be more balanced.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
So basically a chaff thing? I think you'd only be able to have one per life, or reload it at an ammo station. It would have to be something to lower damage, but not block it, because if you think about it, if a rocket hits a bunch of small metal beads, Newton's third law just turned that into a shotgun, so it could even deal more damage.

Lin

Well, according to Daph, these guys can mess with gravitons. I'm assuming they can work around that. This also reminds me of that vehicle thread, where the idea came up that there could be a repulsion beam thing that bounces rockets away if you hit them. how bout the spray lasts a bit longer, but only in the direction you point?

PuppyGuard

So basically a chaff thing? I think you'd only be able to have one per life, or reload it at an ammo station. It would have to be something to lower damage, but not block it, because if you think about it, if a rocket hits a bunch of small metal beads, Newton's third law just turned that into a shotgun, so it could even deal more damage.
Backfire?
Well once the beads hit the warhead they should be able to disintegrate from the explosion, therefore no deadly backfire.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
hmmm. I'm not too excited about this idea yet. It would make capping a little easier, but defense is still too hard pressed. Also, the balls would do 1% damage to which armor class?

Lin

But how does that relate to this suggestion? and doesnt that usually just end up killing you with a frag combo instead of the rocket?

But how does that relate to this suggestion? and doesnt that usually just end up killing you with a frag combo instead of the rocket?

Mmm.. potentially yes, but if someone is a decent distance away you do have time to max throw the hand grenade and block the rocket at a safe distance. I've done it once or twice on complete luck. It'd fairly hard to do unless you have Ucan ping. ^-^

poiuyt580

Actually, I do it quite often when dueling. And it relates to this suggestion because it makes this spray suggestion useless.

Lin

The spray suggestion isn't useless. the spray does not require a godly connection, has a much lower chance of missing, won't amplify damage if your a tad late, and works at close range, where most dueling is done.

DeadPixel

Maybe if you could only use it at a certain speed and only certain classes had it... Maybe all the classes could have it's own unique feature.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Okay. One of the ideas that (might) come to fruition is customizable loadouts. You get a certain number of points, you spend those points on things to add to your loadout. A certain number of points go towards which armor class, then you throw in weapons, grenades, and special items. With that system, a capper would be able to choose outrider, a rocket launcher, and then the rest of the points go into things like chaff (which this basically is) and other things that cappers might want.

skypredator

I think Laser should be able to disarm rockets and explosives. The laser rifle is supposed to be a high-powered central beam laser. It should be able to blow up any incoming explosive projectiles with ease. But, again, gameplay>realism. Just an idea.