So uh, splash back up, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindN

sooooo... if i got this right now... the splash is bigger now? shouldn't this make it harder for the newer players to play since they'll get battered down to nothingness by ground-pounders until they rage out and quit?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
sooooo... if i got this right now... the splash is bigger now? shouldn't this make it harder for the newer players to play since they'll get battered down to nothingness by ground-pounders until they rage out and quit?

Nope; the splash is about the same size as it was originally, though it's being calculated more accurately (with an inverse square function, rather than a linear function, if you care). It was, for a short period, reduced dramatically, but has since been returned to about its original size and scope. It should, generally, be no more or less difficult to hit things now than it was a week or two ago.

LindN

Nope; the splash is about the same size as it was originally, though it's being calculated more accurately (with an inverse square function, rather than a linear function, if you care). It was, for a short period, reduced dramatically, but has since been returned to about its original size and scope. It should, generally, be no more or less difficult to hit things now than it was a week or two ago.
so there's nothing game changing, good enough :p

Redvan

Private Tester
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you can have reduced damage with the current impulse right? Aren't they separate values?

Perhaps try a damage value in the middle of where it is now and where it was when reduced. See how that works out...

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you can have reduced damage with the current impulse right? Aren't they separate values?

Oh, absolutely; it's simply a matter of consistency and intuitiveness. If we did end up reducing damage while keeping the impulse the same size, I'd like to see a different explosion effect with a distinct, firey damage zone and clear, expanding "pressure ring." The disconnect would take a fair amount of getting used to, but it wouldn't be outside the realm of feasibility.

Homingun

Actually, I haven't heard anything in the community about the splash being a problem before. People only started questioning it when it was being changed back and forth. Classic case of trying to fix what was not broken. Maybe we should be working on more important parts of the game.

Keep in mind that pursuit of perfection and practicality don't necessarily coincide. On that note, reality and games don't either.

Redvan

Private Tester
Actually, I haven't heard anything in the community about the splash being a problem before. People only started questioning it when it was being changed back and forth. Classic case of trying to fix what was not broken. Maybe we should be working on more important parts of the game.

Keep in mind that pursuit of perfection and practicality don't necessarily coincide. On that note, reality and games don't either.
nah, i've always said splash was too much. I never pressed the issue because they were busy just getting the core gameplay back up and running. Then they initiated a change that I agree with, then reverted it. So apparently, they're thinking about it.

Propkid

I was with Mabel on irc when he came up with the idea. The way it is now makes a lot more sense; right now you can have literally ANY health value after being shot with a rocket, even 0.4% (displayed as 0%). It's just better.

Oh and (Mabel correct me if im wrong) but the splash damage has been reduced overall in such a way that the further the enemy the greater the decrease in damage. Close-by shots are almost exactly the same.

Homingun

I was with Mabel on irc when he came up with the idea. The way it is now makes a lot more sense; right now you can have literally ANY health value after being shot with a rocket, even 0.4% (displayed as 0%). It's just better.

Oh and (Mabel correct me if im wrong) but the splash damage has been reduced overall in such a way that the further the enemy the greater the decrease in damage. Close-by shots are almost exactly the same.

I'm not on irc often but here's how if feels like.

The original version had an inner radius and an outer radius. Inside the inner radius, it did max splash damage/impulse. It fell off linearly from the inner radius to the other radius. But, it did not fall off fast enough that it reached the 0 value at the outer radius. Hence, splash always having a minimum damage/impulse value.

The "Mabel's" version was just a inverse square depending on distance from center (it did not use the inner/outer radius). If you graph an inverse square function (1/(r^2)) you will notice that it falls off really quickly in the beginning and really slowly at the end. That was a bit too much in my opinion considering hitting pretty close gave minimal damage. I have always wondered why the devs used an inverse square instead of just an inverse function.

The current version seems like a combination of both of these. It has an inner and outer radius now. But from the inner to the outer radius, it falls off using the inverse square function I described above..

I might be off on some of these statements considering they are based on observation and talking with other people.

Mabeline

God-Tier
I'm not on irc often but here's how if feels like.

The original version had an inner radius and an outer radius. Inside the inner radius, it did max splash damage/impulse. It fell off linearly from the inner radius to the other radius. But, it did not fall off fast enough that it reached the 0 value at the outer radius. Hence, splash always having a minimum damage/impulse value.

The "Mabel's" version was just a inverse square depending on distance from center (it did not use the inner/outer radius). If you graph an inverse square function (1/(r^2)) you will notice that it falls off really quickly in the beginning and really slowly at the end. That was a bit too much in my opinion considering hitting pretty close gave minimal damage. I have always wondered why the devs used an inverse square instead of just an inverse function.

The current version seems like a combination of both of these. It has an inner and outer radius now. But from the inner to the outer radius, it falls off using the inverse square function I described above..

I might be off on some of these statements considering they are based on observation and talking with other people.
Gold star.

Redvan

Private Tester
From the poll thread:
The "current" curve is about halfway between the "old" and the "reduced" one. So even the poll option "how it is now" is still a form of nerfed splash.

I overall disagree due to:

Close-by shots are almost exactly the same.

Hitting the ground close enough to have nearly the same splash as the "old" values is very easy. So, I have to admit, I'm kinda throwing out the outer radius splash when discussing this. It's simply too easy to hit inner radius shots to bother worrying about the outer ones.

It is nice that the outer radius splash is reduced, that does help to reduce splash overall. So while I agree with you that the "current" is between the "old" and the "reduced", I'm really more interested in discussing the splash that is close. Hence, I consider it essentially the same as the "old" values in my poll.

Mabeline

God-Tier
thenuance.png

My average splash is in the 5-7 range.

Blue (B) is old. Red (C) was the initial change. Purple (E) is currently on Live.

Status
Not open for further replies.