So how did I become troll junkie?

MJ1284

I thought someone out there might be pondering on that question, I had my doubts whether I should post this or not (knowing what majority of ppl here think of me nowdays) but then I spotted this message on other thread:

I'm sorry to hear your experience with Legions was less than desirable. I for one enjoyed watching your movies, and so did Munge, and I'm sure most of the community enjoyed them as well. I never really got to play with you because you were Euro - sad. :(

We've never banned anyone for having a respectfully negative (and some of the stuff you said is realistic) view of Legions, much less deleted their profile or posts.

A note on devs: I'm sure it's been overstated, but the devs are all volunteers, and I can tell you they've been working their asses off in their free time for 1.40 and will be working for many months on "what is to come next." Granted, that does mean updates are less frequent than with a AAA title or other indie games, but if you look at the game over time, updates have been fairly regular even if they are far apart.

The community is certainly dwindling nowadays, but whatever remains is going to be critical to the success of the grass-roots marketing push we're planning for the New Legions. In fact, MJ, I think your participation would be much appreciated if you're interestd. Shoot me a PM if you are.

BugsPray has been there since Day 1, he knows what I've become and he still said "your participation would be much appreciated" even after all the negative bitching and complaining.. if he's willing to forgive me then least I can do is tell my side of the story and hopefully clear some air here.

I've explained many times why I'm not playing Legions anymore (TL;DR: It's not fun to play anymore IMO), I've also shared my thoughts on Pubs and PUGs so I won't delve too deep in those.
The main reason I got so frustrated with the whole game was partially the video making hobby, it took its toll and I was ultimately unsatisfied with the results: No improvement on number of players and Pubs stayed the same. Relatively small number of views (well, besides that one video that got 13+k views before I deleted it) didn't matter that much, but knowing it's always the exact same bunch that keeps coming here bothered me... after all, I was seriously trying to entice new players to try Legions, some probably did but most of them left soon after realizing Pubs aren't really entertaining for them.

Other thing that started bothering me was both love and hate I got from the videos: Some people saw it fit to start pestering me "yo MJ whens next vid coming?" while some other people saw it fit to start spamming "you aint so gud u noob!!!". Video making was just a pastime hobby for me but now I started feeling pressured into making more and more videos and into dealing with trolls & overanxious fanboys which started to irritate me.
So the cycle went on and on, I uploaded a new video -> some people started asking new video & some people bashed my "voluntary promoting work" with passion -> every video was getting 300-500 views, no new players nor better Pubs. I felt like I was merely fighting windmills as long time vets treated Pubs like *chocolate cookies* (sorry for being blunt) and constantly repeated "play PUGs if you want good games" while also complaining "shame there's so few players, can't have PUGs like this", which is ironic considering it's common sense that no influx of players means number of players can only go down over time. I think it was around here I threw my hands up in the air and thought to myself "Well *dance* it, I'm done promoting this game long as majority treats Pubs like an unwanted bastard child" and gave up on playing seriously.

Most of you are probably rolling their eyes "that's no reason to act like total *bum*hole", just try to put yourselves in my position: You're doing something you really like, you think it's for the good of community so you'll keep doing it even if it occasionally drains you... only to realize later on that all your work has been futile, one person can't make a difference if more than half the community won't bother doing anything to back you up.

I'm not asking you to forgive me, nor am I asking you to play less seriously if there are rookies on Pub server... but, if you actually want more people to pick up the game, stop treating Pubs like crap: The community is small as it is, stacking teams intentionally just because "Pubs suck, go to PUGs if you got a problem with that!", that's the attitude that WILL kill the game for good one day. I'm sorry but you guys REALLY can't be too picky with newcomers, running Team Elite vs Team Newblood constantly will make the new players to move on to other games. Your player base will not increase long as you keep carrying that "Pubs suck, why should I care about balance?" attitude with you.

So there, that's my side of the story. I decided long ago not to play Legions anymore (if you're reading this Jedrek, you can stop pestering me), but after seeing Bugs message I felt obliged to explain my behavior. As for question "Why are you still sticking around then?", believe it or not, I'm sticking around just for the forum. I met some really nice people while I played Legions, I still like the old timers and I like to check up on them every now and then. I personally have nothing against anyone here long as they can tolerate me not playing Legions & my somewhat straightforward way of pointing out flaws Legions had when I played it.
That's all I wanted to say, let the flaming ensue!

Regards,
your old non-trollish side of MJ you used to know long ago

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
I appreciate this post. I truly do, it's nice to see that you aren't here just to cause *chocolate cookies* and badmouth Legions. I am sure most of the staff (myself included) love to know that old timers are still around. I hope you'll give 1.40 a chance when it drops (honestly, should be very soon) and maybe give Legions another go. We'd love to see .fi return. As for your the flaming of you in this thread? Nah I will keep it clean for you. Actionauts for life.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
I haven't played a full game of legions in prolly 2-3 weeks. I've gotten tired of the small 4v4 games and such, and (I hope) ur like me and are waiting for this game to get better.

1.4 is, as I've been led to believe, a test bed for the new legions. I hope that when the game hits steam we get more people and some oldies back. (like you)

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I recently have actually started to enjoy the euro pubs a bit more, even if it does get repetitive, the problem is, because there is such a skill level difference, one player switch can make it horrid for the opposite team. (and we have been having pugs!? holy *chocolate cookies*!?)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I agree with this post, and it shows exactly where the legions community has gone wrong. Considering us euro's have been having pickups after a VERY long time, I do think that we still need to focus on publics and trying to make them better. Obviously, some sort of guide (and others like it) are more needed now than ever:

Fixious

Test Lead
I haven't played a full game of legions in prolly 2-3 weeks. I've gotten tired of the small 4v4 games and such, and (I hope) ur like me and are waiting for this game to get better.

1.4 is, as I've been led to believe, a test bed for the new legions. I hope that when the game hits steam we get more people and some oldies back. (like you)

PUGs or pubs? There was a PUG the other day and pubs have been their normal 7v7-10v10 around 5-10pm EST. Stop checking at dumb times.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
It may also be me playing planetside 2 all the time, I usually check on weekends even at night, so I may just be actually checking at the unluckiest time :(

Karnage

Private Tester
I don't know. Seems to me that you are mentioning the same kind of *chocolate cookies* that happens all over the internet. We can't controll (sic) the internet. There will be Dbags (even vets) who stack the pubs until the end of time. In fact, if anything, it seems to be happening more these days, with 4 to 5 low ping snipers on one team etc. The point is that if you are invested in the game and the community you will not let the few idiots get to you. There is something much bigger going on here than the egos of these bored kids who have no value systems ( and yes, PUGs included). There are the guys who have been and continue to be around forever...they are the real Legions community. People like BugSpray and the others who have posted positive responses to your rambling confession...those are the real Legionnaires. I think you need to look at the big picture and the long term plan instead of expecting a quick 'fix'. Making Legions a 'real' game to be taken seriously on a more global scale is going to take time (years probably) and commitment and a mind that sees far further than the 'inconveniences' of the present setup. Sorry if I sound harsh but you do need to look at the horizon and not the ground at your feet.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
Other thing that started bothering me was both love and hate I got from the videos: Some people saw it fit to start pestering me "yo MJ whens next vid coming?" while some other people saw it fit to start spamming "you aint so gud u noob!!!". Video making was just a pastime hobby for me but now I started feeling pressured into making more and more videos and into dealing with trolls & overanxious fanboys which started to irritate me.
So the cycle went on and on, I uploaded a new video -> some people started asking new video & some people bashed my "voluntary promoting work" with passion -> every video was getting 300-500 views, no new players nor better Pubs. I felt like I was merely fighting windmills as long time vets treated Pubs like *chocolate cookies* (sorry for being blunt) and constantly repeated "play PUGs if you want good games" while also complaining "shame there's so few players, can't have PUGs like this", which is ironic considering it's common sense that no influx of players means number of players can only go down over time. I think it was around here I threw my hands up in the air and thought to myself "Well *dance* it, I'm done promoting this game long as majority treats Pubs like an unwanted bastard child" and gave up on playing seriously.

Most of you are probably rolling their eyes "that's no reason to act like total *bum*hole", just try to put yourselves in my position: You're doing something you really like, you think it's for the good of community so you'll keep doing it even if it occasionally drains you... only to realize later on that all your work has been futile, one person can't make a difference if more than half the community won't bother doing anything to back you up.
I'm gonna be completely candid on this one because it's boring being all official. :p

It's tough to stay committed to a game that has fewer and fewer players compared to its glory days. Even during the "glory days" the community wasn't really anywhere near the size of most popular modern games. You're right - it's tough to make videos for little personal gain unless you're doing it simply to do it. Some people are grateful, others have no idea what kind of work goes into making a solid production. That's just the nature of being on the internet. It's also been interesting to see people grow and mature with Legions. The game has been out for...5 or 6 years now. That's enough time to see the 11 year olds become 16 years old, the 16 year olds become 21, etc. Players who annoyed us one day are moderators, private testers, and even devs. For those that stick around, it almost feels like a family after a while because you've literally grown up with these people. It's actually one of the nicer things about being a smaller community. With that said, I definitely want to see Legions grow well beyond its current size. :)

Just some thoughts!

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Players who annoyed us one day are moderators, private testers, and even devs!
14 year old PT
16 year old moderator
18 year old Community Manager

Edit: Somewhere in there I trolled the *chocolate cookies* out of Anak for no reason.

Now I am a mature 19 year old Community Manager.

Very true. There are times when I think of BugsPray more as my wife and not a giant nerdbomber.
It's the curls and facial hair that confuse you ;)

Armageddon

Teapot
PUGs or pubs? There was a PUG the other day and pubs have been their normal 7v7-10v10 around 5-10pm EST. Stop checking at dumb times.

PUGs are even funnier now then they were a few months ago.
Example:

In a pub server its pretty full 14+.
Halfway into a map a pugger calls out "Pug starting join TS3" x5
Lose 7-8 players to the pug.
The others left, say 4 new players and 3 older players stay to finish.
After the map ends the new players leave because everyone left for pug.

Pug effectively drives new players to not play because no one is playing.

Da faq.