Sniper Varieties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure we've noticed people complaining about the current sniper rifle(updated) with the release-to-shoot style brought back from Fallen Empire, but I would like to share some ideas that were triggered from these complainers.​
Two kinds of snipers - A semi-heavy damage one carried by a certain class(maybe for heavies) and a semi-medium damage sniper for another class (Outrider/Raider?)​
Something like this could bring some more variety to these sniper-lovers, all with a different control schematic. Perhaps the higher-damage rifle could be a timed shot. For example, you could charge it for a couple seconds, but the limit in which you can hold it while charged is timed, let's say 5 seconds with a small barrier for a set-range. This would need the player to be attentive even before deciding to charge-up, since they could miss the opportunity. The medium damage sniper would allow for a longer range, and the full barrier for this set-range would still exist. The width could differ between snipers too, if we can pinpoint details that are easier to imagine two different snipers in Legions.​
Technically speaking, the heavy sniper would be the buffed/enhanced sniper, whereas the lighter rifle would be the LR's that are currently updated but nerfed in a way that would make the snipers balanced - kind of how grenades are to Mortars, and not to be confused with the lighter sniper being compared to the Bolt.​
Thinking about having different colored lasers across the field would be a pretty sight in addition to these pretty updates we've received in the now-live update. This is just a semi-suggestion regarding improvements since the devs are on a roll, patching up these engie classes.​

I've been shot at by the few people that are using the LR, and haven't been taken out by it yet. I can also honestly say I haven't seen anyone else fragged by the new LR either, and I play an hour or so every day.

Don't know why some people are so sour about the LR changes...
I'm enjoying snipe-chasing with great effectiveness with the new LR.

I know, right? It's honestly kind of sad that they didn't get to experience how hard the LR was to master to begin with. ;)

Jaymyster

Don't know why some people are so sour about the LR changes...
I'm enjoying snipe-chasing with great effectiveness with the new LR.

I really really really don't want to sound like the forum phag that can't stay off the topic of LR on forums (I'm really trying here), but I seriously can't believe people liked your post in return as though "great effectiveness" was an accurate way to describe the new LR. Take a closer look at the people who liked that post, do you really see them using LR in game on a regular basis? (Epic, wild, royalty, and volt, I seriously have nothing against any of you, I just want to prove a point). Similar posts that talk about how the new LR fits in 1.4 well got likes from people that once more, didn't use the LR regularly at all, but seriously disapproved of the previous one; and this post was a much better example of people agreeing with something that's just blatantly untrue. It would have been cool if something more realistic was said, like "The new LR still get's the job done"; then I could understand why people (even those who don't use the LR) could agree with that. But because your wording glorified it in a way that almost makes it look like the changes in 1.4 improved the LR's effectiveness, despite the pathetic number of people effectively using it in game, is what makes it that much more obvious that some people strongly just want to keep the weapon nerfed. In fact, I truly wish I could recall just one game where the player at the top of the scoreboard was using the LR the entire match.

Perhaps, things may seem better as a whole for you on the Aussie server because of the new ping you have now Royalty, but on hotswap it's been awkwardly ignored how little LR use there's been since it's change. Once more, I truly don't intend to sound provocative at all; it's just that I can't stand the thought that people would read this thread, see your post (with people agreeing), and accept the notion that the new LR truly has great effectiveness when snipe-chasing.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
1. I've been considered to be a good sniper in the EU servers for a long time
2. I personally like the changes, the only thing the charge up mechanic has affected is my ability to snipe duel (which was what the developers were aiming to do)
3. I actually liked his post because he said people were still sour over the LR changes (which evidently some people are)
4. I've come top of the leader board a few times using the new LR. Its not hard to do. (Just to note, I have had scores in the past in pickup with the LR at about 1250) I expect the update will only affect that kind of score marginally.
5. I believe by "great effectiveness" Royalty meant his own effectiveness (like mine) had not been greatly affected.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
2. I personally like the changes, the only thing the charge up mechanic has affected is my ability to snipe duel (which was what the developers were aiming to do)

I have been using nothing but RL/Sniper/Dodge loadout for the most part and I don't think duel sniping is dead even. The dodge gives time to bounce around and charge when you wanna go for a shot and the release mechanic is learn-able close in like that and pretty fun actually once you get it down. I like the idea that you have to use a core slot to gain that sort of mobility to overcome the charge for duel sniping which was intentionally hurt this patch.

Long range seems fine , people are starting to hit again plenty.

On topic: Once things are settled with the content added we will take a look at this for sure. It will be a while though.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I completely agree, its still very possible to do it. I personally haven't been using dodge that much but I'm more of a fan of the options that the boost core opens up for the outrider and sniping in particular. I've been using the sky bolt/ sniper rifle / boost core / frag nades. It's pretty strong on chasing, less so on flag control, but fun never the less.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
In fact, I truly wish I could recall just one game where the player at the top of the scoreboard was using the LR the entire match.

This is not supposed to happen and the fact that it was happening until now does not make your complaining justified. Sniper is not for everyone, nor was it meant to be #1 chase weapon. Get used to the change, it is not so terrible.

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
I concede that I don't use the LR much, but I've used it enough to know how it works and notice how it has changed over a series of buffs and nerfs.
The current iteration of the LR isn't much different from this video- which I'm pretty sure dates back as far as IA (correct me if I'm wrong). It had the laser beam, roughly did the same amount of damage, allowed jets whilst using it. It isn't as if the current LR disables jets and leaves you stationary.
If Phan could chase snipe so effectively with that LR, there's no reason why Royalty shouldn't be able to do it with the current version, or anyone else if they practised enough.

JedrekPl

I concede that I don't use the LR much, but I've used it enough to know how it works and notice how it has changed over a series of buffs and nerfs.
The current iteration of the LR isn't much different from this video- which I'm pretty sure dates back as far as IA (correct me if I'm wrong). It had the laser beam, roughly did the same amount of damage, allowed jets whilst using it. It isn't as if the current LR disables jets and leaves you stationary.
If Phan could chase snipe so effectively with that LR, there's no reason why Royalty shouldn't be able to do it with the current version, or anyone else if they practised enough.

75% lucky
25% precision and skill

How many he has got fails...

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
Come on! You can't expect someone to get ever single shot they take, everyone has failed attempts. I've played against him in matches, and he is effective with the LR more often than not.

All your montage's- just lucky shots?

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
I guess.... it is impossible to do it witn no fails. In most montage player show us only the best shots which he had done it with lucky.
It's like 80% skill and consistency.
Phan was crazy good at snipe chasing. First pick in PUGs and that's what he would do.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I'd also like to note that the original IA sniper actually had cloud damage applied from when you went through the beam. The beam would linger for a second or so and in that time it would deal the damage. (Think DoT)

Jaymyster

Wild, I didn't take into account EU servers in which I haven't been playing on as of late; so admittedly, I really can't make a statement about your regular LR use. (sorry) And as much as I would like to argue that it is indeed far more difficult to reach the top of the scoreboard with LR, it would be wrong to speak for you still; so instead I'm just going to reiterate that the current likelihood of someone reaching the top of the scoreboard with the current LR is clearly scarce to none (at least in hotswap which is inarguable).

In fact, I truly wish I could recall just one game where the player at the top of the scoreboard was using the LR the entire match.

This is not supposed to happen and the fact that it was happening until now does not make your complaining justified. Sniper is not for everyone, nor was it meant to be #1 chase weapon. Get used to the change, it is not so terrible.

Are you serious? What do you mean this was not supposed to happen? Every weapon should and does hold a window of opportunity for a player to reach the top of the scoreboard. It shows the players that no matter what weapon they pick up, they can still achieve excellence. The LR wasn't the common weapon used for achieving top scores, but it was always still a clear possibility. To say it was not supposed to happen is to completely throw the LR in a different category (for what reason? probably your distaste towards it). Also, I never said the LR was meant to be the #1 chase weapon, but in actuality, the opportunity for it TO be (with the right player) should remain (like bolt, like CG, like plas).

Volt, the LR did different damage before... which I mentioned in a recent thread that for some odd reason got deleted. (Anyone find that weird?) Maybe because I pointed out how there are unsnipeable backroutes that currently exist? idk

Listen, I personally have continued to use this peice of crap despite it's changes, and it's incredibly *dancing* difficult to accept the forceful push into mediocrity the new LR has had on my overall playing ability. Knowing I can make more shots than I'm being allowed to only increasingly feels like a limit of my true playing ability. It's seriously annoyingly ridiculous to see how many people are ignoring the fact that legions is still a very fast paced game and that 2.5-3 seconds for a potential hit, limits MANY more situations for snipers than is actually being addressed by the community. Perhaps it's much more obvious for me considering the LR/RL combo is ALL I use in legions despite the changes (when normally most of you would just choose another weapon); but then again that's what would make my input that much more valuable. I'm not supporting anything I'm saying by using vague words here guys, I've only continually backed up everything with reasons and known truths.

Dev's, ignore this as an attempt to change the LR, I know that's only likely to come in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.