smoke grenades

do you think this could be a usefull feature?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about what could theoretically be a useful addition to legions in the future, and it occured to me that smoke grenades might be the perfect thng, here's why:

Uses:
Protect your flag by concealing it in smoke while you wait ready to reurn it
Let those chasers get some in the face
Screw up the defense of the other team by concealing teamate cappers with smoke
Chuck one at the hof to reduce his likelyhood of a BB
Throw one at the IA dev team.. ahem.. (monkey island.. anyone??)

How they are obtained and number of uses:

1 nade per life, no more than 2 nades per 30 seconds
1 use, then it's done.. ammo refil doesn't apply

Duration:

10 seconds of smokey goodness? I vote ten because it'd be long enough for you to set it up and hide an incoming capper, shield your flag, or mess up a hof, but not so long that they would get really annoying and be all over the place.

How it'd be used:

2 choices of deployment, hold or toss
For tossing its a simple tap and it is thrown (similar to mabel's hand nades). It begins to release smoke imeediately, which builds up over the course of the time, and dissipates at the end
For hold you press and hold the grenade button, and you cannot fire your weapon while grenade hold mode us engaged. while held, the grenade spews smoke allowing you to mess up the vision of a chaser on your tail, a sniper behind you (because the smoke would stay fixed, and you would move therefore making deployed smoke appearbehind you if you are moving forward), the smoke could also be uses to attract the attention of enemy defense, because you would have a large visible wake..

Possible issues: smoke rendering and lame computers

Just a thought, lemme know what you think

Note: ill fix my engrish, typed this on my phone

Mhi200

When I read the title of this I was going something along the lines of 'wtf how are smoke nades going to have any use whatsoever in legions', but now you mention it... =D Sounds useful.

Though I think maybe this should be a possibility for one of the 2/3 weapons you can have equipped, and that you get more than 1, but a cd of about 15 or 30 secs sounds right.

Nvidia

I think smoke grenades don't match with the general Legions gameplay.
They might be useful at games like Counter-Strike or something like that but not legions.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
^ what he said, if you throw a smoke grenade at the flag stand, the player will still know where the flag is. Defeating the whole point of having a smoke grenade in the first place.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
smoke grenades = useless but super fun. if they can fill a base with smoke it would be very fun to play with as it could conceal a capper, but also a flag.

anak

VIP
All of the staple items in FPS have or will be considered for addition into legions. making a thread for each and every one of them does not improve their individual chances of making it in - they will be added in if the devs believe it will positively affect gameplay.

All of the staple items in FPS have or will be considered for addition into legions. making a thread for each and every one of them does not improve their individual chances of making it in - they will be added in if the devs believe it will positively affect gameplay.

well i'm sorry geez, just thought it was an intresting concept
^ what he said, if you throw a smoke grenade at the flag stand, the player will still know where the flag is. Defeating the whole point of having a smoke grenade in the first place.

the smoke would obtrsuct the heads up display, concealing players and flags alike

but i guess, its true they would need to be a strange sort of smokers to really work effectively

BeefThief

Beefy Member
well i'm sorry geez, just thought it was an intresting concept

the smoke would obtrsuct the heads up display, concealing players and flags alike

but i guess, its true they would need to be a strange sort of smokers to really work effectively
The smoke grenade that is used in Blacklight: Tango Down doesn't actually release smoke; it's more of an EMP effect of sorts, so you can't see through it and it scrambles your HUD while standing in it. Perhaps it could be something like that.

Vustom

I actually laughed at this thread when I saw it last night, but after thinking about it, if it's implanted well, I think it will be pretty cool.

anak

VIP
By the way - torque doesn't handle smoke particles very well. It'd freak out and start dying if you stood on a cluster bomb.... i doubt it could deal with mass smoke bombs going off.

In my oppinion, I find this a bit useful. On the downside, I can imagine lots of lag from the smoke from being everywhere if people start to take the nades for granted. Thus, there should be other attatchments or options that you can use for strategy, like using some sort of stun, or special explosive bullet that detonates. Then again, we should avoid Legions: Overdrive from becomming like our regular day shooter games like Call of Duty. Lets just hope they suprise us with new and intelligent weapons that we havn't seen before.

anak

VIP
yea - legions has operated by the "keep it simple, stupid" principle for a long time and it's worked perfectly. adding too much to the game would dilute the awesome.

Legions has almost been the same for years, and they obviously don't want to mess things us. Especially at the time of its new launch. So perhaps they will take our suggestions when they say that they will give new content-- later. This is why they are working so hard to get this project completed for us. They want to start things off slow with (obviously) new content, but not so much in which it will cause a huge impact. If this were to happen, they would have to start over to see what the problem is with their new game.

... it's more of an EMP effect of sorts, so you can't see through it and it scrambles your HUD ....

I like the idea of a HUD interfering EMP grenade or gun. if people's huds turned off for a few seconds after being hit by one, it would be pretty amusing. You probably wouldn't need fancy smoke or lightning effects, just use the grenade explosion in a bright blue or purple, and have peoples hud's start flickering for a few seconds.
I wouldn't have it last for 10 seconds, but perhaps the explosion could last for one or two.

Said weapon would do either little or no damage to the people attacked, but could be made to interfere with their controls slightly. perhaps cause their jets to flicker off or something.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Leaving a smoke grenade behind on the ground doesn't make so much sense in anything other than defense, and even then, the HUD probably wouldn't fail, though if it did mess with your HUD (I'd hate to think how hard the programming for that would be, if its hard. If its easy and one of the devs tells me so, then I won't hate thinking about it so much) then there would be better options for use in base defense because somebody can line up their flight and go straight through. Also, at higher speeds, chasers would be able to just blow through in less than a second or go over. Instead, if a custom loadout comes into play, then a capper could add a one-use per life smoke trail to their load out, and then they push some key as the chasers come close, and then get lost in the fog. If enemy players in the fog had a dummy HUD that didn't show where the flag was in all that stuff, then I could see this becoming useful.

Said weapon would do either little or no damage to the people attacked, but could be made to interfere with their controls slightly. perhaps cause their jets to flicker off or something.

I agree. Perhaps a special grenade that causes some electrical problems. I.E. deteriorates armor of some sort or your thrust. Or possibly your guns jamming. But that's another topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.