Sleepwalker

Propkid

I don't understand how Sleepwalker penalizes "mistakes" as much as it takes away freedom to move.
Freedom to move is also freedom to retreat once one goes too far in O. While talking about jumping around Stygian I was metaphorically speaking about someone being thick/new or accidentally going too deep into enemy lines and not actually suffering for that. Being in mid O on SW and not being a senti at the same time is one mistake. Being in far O with any class with an RL on SW is much more rewarding on SW than on other maps. Blindly pushing forward until you reach the enemy spawn may be the effective strategy in the current non-TDM maps (IA days TDM), but it's not on SW. That composes with other things to make the map enjoyable (for me at least :/). I've also noticed that Stygian also doesn't happen to have fights happening at spawns, I think thanks to the base design...

I'd like to see how the ~5 non snipers on your turtling team do against a team of snipers. I'm assuming they're just there to be cut to ribbons and provide a distraction for the D snipers? I still don't see how what you're saying is anything beyond a suggestion to exploit the poor map design harder than the other team.
Harder but with less snipers. More snipers in D would be useless as anything red on your side will sooner or later die with ~3D snipers. As to 'Travelling to the outskirts' to flank the enemy... you can be sniped, but I seriously doubt it. It's done in some other games and does indeed take a while, but the effects are usually rewarding.

I seriously CBA to go on. No matter what will we come down to, it's only one of our opinions (mine if we go on) that will change, maybe also someone else's opinion if they are actually reading all of this (I doubt it), while it's all up to the devs what will happen to the map and they'll do the right thing, w/e it is.

Heartsong

Freedom to move is also freedom to retreat once one goes too far in O.

Yeah, I'd agree, which is why I really dislike Sleepwalker. You can't adjust to changing conditions, you're simply stuck where you are due to the awful (flat) map design. Because you are stuck in a flat, wide open map, you're an easy target for the inordinate number of snipers who pop up whenever this map comes in to play. Even if you manage to kill someone in a duel as a non sniping class, you'll just be in the crossfire of a group of snipers without any way of moving away.

While talking about jumping around Stygian I was metaphorically speaking about someone being thick/new or accidentally going too deep into enemy lines and not actually suffering for that. Being in mid O on SW and not being a senti at the same time is one mistake. Being in far O with any class with an RL on SW is much more rewarding on SW than on other maps. Blindly pushing forward until you reach the enemy spawn may be the effective strategy in the current non-TDM maps (IA days TDM), but it's not on SW. That composes with other things to make the map enjoyable (for me at least :/). I've also noticed that Stygian also doesn't happen to have fights happening at spawns, I think thanks to the base design...

If they're smart enough to realize that they went too far behind enemy lines, adjust to it, and get out with the entire team shooting at them, good on them. This isn't Counterstrike. You're not meant to die in 3 shots from a fully automatic assault rifle. Legionnaires are meant to be resilient as well as fast.

I'd invite you to gather a team to fight Omni in a TDM on a non-Sleepwalker map and try blindly pushing forward toward the spawns. Of course, that probably won't work against any kind of organised team! It probably won't even work in PuGs. But, referring back to my previous anecdotal evidence, there was an NA TDM pug in which the lone sniper on the team apparently accounted for "more than half" of the team's "100+" kills in their victory. It seems unlikely that Sleepwalker will be continued to be picked for PuGs unless a "no sniper" rule is laid down. The problem here is that there's nothing inherently wrong with the sniper rifle. It's balanced on all of the other maps that we play on Legions. The problem lies in the map design. It is too flat to be used in a game so reliant on hills for movement.

Harder but with less snipers. More snipers in D would be useless as anything red on your side will sooner or later die with ~3D snipers. As to 'Travelling to the outskirts' to flank the enemy... you can be sniped, but I seriously doubt it. It's done in some other games and does indeed take a while, but the effects are usually rewarding.

You really didn't address my question which was what is the role of the people who aren't the 3 D snipers. Does that mean they really are just for distraction purposes? Do they need to be guys in fat suits just soaking up damage so that their D snipers can spot the other team's snipers?

I've never seen a person (on Sleepwalker) successfully flank a team of snipers beyond just trading a kill for a kill. As a result of the minuscule spawn timer, this is hardly even an accomplishment in the grand scheme of a TDM match. The sniper spawns and is back to full power as a result of the sheer amount of visibility (due to the flatness) a sniper has on the map.

I seriously CBA to go on. No matter what will we come down to, it's only one of our opinions (mine if we go on) that will change, maybe also someone else's opinion if they are actually reading all of this (I doubt it), while it's all up to the devs what will happen to the map and they'll do the right thing, w/e it is.

Frankly, neither of our opinions are going to change. We're arguing for the sake of people who are curious about the two sides to the debate ;)

As for the devs categorically making the right decisions, I'll withhold judgement.

Calimo

No, you missed it.
topiclist.gif

DOS4/GW

but for my own purposes (as well as for community-education purposes)

Sometimes, learning involves reading for 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds; and sometimes, good discussions arise from tangentially-related topics.

Anyway, I need to drive 10 hours to a funeral, so I've not the time to deal with your complaints. When I get back, though, I'll start a new thread with that post; it does, after all, veer from this thread's overwhelming consensus (that "Sleepwalker is the single worst map I have ever played in the 10 years during which I have been playing video games").

I'll even include cole's notes, for the attention impaired.

Don't presume to educate us, and please drop the condescending tone.

Heartsong

Stopped reading there. Don't presume to educate us.

What are the forums for but educating one another about our opinions? Look at your quote again. He's not trying to lecture you about logical fallacies, he's trying to dissect Aki's position in regards to Sleepwalker's efficacy as a Legions map. Of course, you probably didn't pick up on that since you stopped reading and got all huffy at the word "education".

You probably also didn't pick up on

Sometimes, learning involves reading for 5 minutes instead of 30 seconds

Regardless, if you want to get all huffy with Nept, do it somewhere that isn't my thread.