SKRILLEX

Dacil

It's really cool to see the electronic genre in the mainstream right now. :)
it's always been in the mainstream, a.k.a. pop or should I say Britney spears ..and of course it's mainstream, doesn't surprise me at all....what would surprise me if heavy metal became mainstream...surprising, and awesome!

57thEnryu

it's always been in the mainstream, a.k.a. pop or should I say Britney spears ..and of course it's mainstream, doesn't surprise me at all....what would surprise me if heavy metal became mainstream...surprising, and awesome!
ever hear of a little band called Metallica? they count as heavy metal. now if death metal could go mainstream we'd be in business.

U8er

Aside from pop music, most tracks topping the charts a few years ago would have been some kind of rock music or hip hop/rap. What I meant was it's nice to see electronic dance music and dubstep being played in commercials, on the radio etc. A lot of popular artists are switching over to the genre that once produced rap/hip hop, which is pretty cool imo. I mean just check out much music/mtv or something similar, most if not all the tracks they'll play nowadays have some kind of electro beat to it.

Dacil

ever hear of a little band called Metallica? they count as heavy metal. now if death metal could go mainstream we'd be in business.
nope, never heard of em >_> and just cause you can point out the biggest heavy metal band doesn't mean they're mainstream...i've heard them in movie trailers and in the background of football stuff...they're not by any means plastered everywhere...but i still see what you mean with the death metal thing

Aside from pop music, most tracks topping the charts a few years ago would have been some kind of rock music or hip hop/rap. What I meant was it's nice to see electronic dance music and dubstep being played in commercials, on the radio etc. A lot of popular artists are switching over to the genre as well, which is pretty cool imo.

i get what you mean, i guess i just had a different experience over the last few years...i don't remember it being rock and rap, i remember it being pop/electronic....all the time... but part of me remembering different is i don't listen to mainstream all the time, i jump around a whole lot

and it is cool, but not at the same time...it got old to me real fast

and on another note, that article brings up something that jogged my mind about art in general. there is a lot of controversy over whether "fractal" artwork is artwork at all...it's computer generated, and it reminds me of how i feel about electronic music as well...i don't consider it as "real" as a talent as classical music for example...yes my opinion is controversial just like other art forms. I just thought I'd bring up this interesting connection and tell people about fractal art if they've never heard of it before

Armageddon

Teapot
Metallica hasn't been metal since 87.
just%20sayin.jpg

57thEnryu

While I will admit, metallica being a household name does not make it mainstream, it still is a hugely popular group that gets its music played for a multitude of things, hence it is mainsteam. Not to say all their songa re mainstream, but many (Enter Sandman, The Day that Never Comes, etc.) are mainstream.

Thats just my view.

Dacil

yep totally mainstream :rolleyes: (just cause I really don't care about arguing about it, it's pointless, b/c if your "view" makes it a "fact" then whats the point, we'll go in circles for years if you want to....i suggest you look up the definition of mainstream, b/c as i said, metallica has SOME ties to corporate entities such as background music to 10 sec. football clips on tvs and trailers, which you also hinted at, but it is not the definition of our pop culture......... ...
i just argued about it anyway didn't i...*sigh*)