Shields

DKnight556

A shield would be a great asset in any game. The could be acquired with a certain class choice that has the chaingun as their other weapon ( this was all sent based when I thought of it but it could be implemented to other classes).
Pros
1. Could block bullets ( up to a certain amount of damage)
2. Could be used to push other players aside or body block
3. Could be used to defend a capper that is waiting for the return
4. Could be thrown as a last resort for a damage of about 30 or so

Cons
1. Would slow down the person using the sheild
2. Would have to be pointed/ aimed at the incoming projectiles
3. Would make the person wielding the shield heavier ( could not thrust as high)
4. After thrown the person is mostly defenseless
untitled.1.jpg
it could look like this. You could see through the hole or it could switch you the third person automatically

Libra

Maybe you could use the shield as an overdrive combo and smash cappers of the opposite team by rushing into them with it

It would also look good with a lance or something

RisingSun

Private Tester
sheilds = Longer standoffs? On the other hand when turrents are produce/ whatever new stuff is to come this would be a good asset.

Mahidhar

Since this is more like a "Present-day-Humans found ancient technology after big war" kind of themed game, I'd rather see such a shield, but as a materialized hologram.

In CTF only, why dont we introduce turrets that are destroyable or something? like on nivousus 2 computer controlled rocket turrets, nade turrets or sniper turrets, each map has 2 different turrets and some maps have both. but once they're destroyed, they dont come back.

Since this is more like a "Present-day-Humans found ancient technology after big war" kind of themed game, I'd rather see such a shield, but as a materialized hologram.
Actually, if I remember my Tribes/Legions lore correctly, it's humans a long way in the future using old (for them, still futuristic for us) technology developed through long long wars.

DK one of the first rules about adding in new features to a game is to ask yourself, "Would it add to or subtract from gameplay".
This statement includes a lot of things, which includes but is not limited to balance, playability, game-speed, fun-rating, and necessity.
With a certain amount of tweaking some of these can be ironed out, but not all of them.
In regards to game-speed for example, like you say, it would not only slow down those holding it, but also would in all likely-hood increase the amount of time, as risingsun said, spent on standoffs.
This slows down the general gameplay, particularly because it would be unbalanced in favour of the defense.

On balance: These shields could only be used by the Defense, as the offense aren't going to cart them the whole way over from their base, so the damage-protection advantage would only be to the defense.
In terms of Body-blocking, you can already do that without the shield. If you're suggesting that it pushes them away with more force/does more damage on impact, then may I ask you to cast your mind ( or at least the minds of those who are old enough) to the Buckler, from Tribes:Vengeance.
Yes, the buckler was really quite a fun weapon to use, but in the hands of a person who knew how to wield it, the BB function was Extremely overpowered. Yes, there could be tweaks to make it more fair, but fact is, unless you gave it some ability like that, then why would it be needed. (hence Necessity)

Personally, I'm not against the idea of a buckler style weapon (/shield), but it would need careful handling, and to be frank, the weapon (/shield) isn't needed in the game.

DKnight556

I ask you to cast your mind ( or at least the minds of those who are old enough) to the Buckler, from Tribes:Vengeance.
I know of the buckler. The blocking function of the shield would not do damage but merely redirect the incoming enemy. It would also serve as a good last resort whenever a hof is at low health and can't BB because of a cappe'rs rockets.
In regards to game-speed for example, like you say, it would not only slow down those holding it, but also would in all likely-hood increase the amount of time, as risingsun said, spent on standoffs.
This slows down the general gameplay, particularly because it would be unbalanced in favour of the defense.
The shields could be made not to increase standoff time if the damage ratio is low enough that maybe 30 damage or about one rocket or so. This would make the shields be able to disappear rather quickly if more than Lo attack it. So the average of a chaser team of 2 would make the shield not increase standoff times.

On balance: These shields could only be used by the Defense, as the offense aren't going to cart them the whole way over from their base, so the damage-protection advantage would only be to the defense.
It could also be made in several versions that could be used by other classes and would decrease in weight but would also decrease in the damage that they could take. The other classes would still have a chaingun as their other weapon. This would make the shield a more deployable weapon.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Just sayin'.

Defense is already OP enough. You only need two decent stay at homes and a good hof. If they all have mics, they can hold off the other team's offense for a good amount of time. The only way you can really get a return anymore is if the other team has some kind of miscommunication, or you pull off some killer play like a double MA and a mid-air return. People like Freeman will kill you before you even attempt to kill the flag holder.

Seriously though, a shield sounds pretty awesome but when it comes to actually game play.. it just doesn't fit.

skypredator

Physical shield have no use in Legions. After all, the Legionnaires suits alone would make for shields if they weren't being worn. I propose a force-field, perhaps a force-field core, or a deployable that can be attached to a Legionnaire's back or chest. "Hey, guys! I made a new class that has a CG, GL, and a Riot Shield, and I have SitRep!" <--Joke

57thEnryu

I suggested this a long time ago, to have a shield that would block 1.5 health only from the front and while the shield is up you cannot fire any weapons. It was kinda rejected. Let me see if I can find where I posted it......it might take a bit.

EDIT: I personally Cant find it, but there was trouble where the question was how much hp would be absorbed, 1.5 or a outrider, raider, or sentinel....

I still think shields would add a nice dynamic to the gameplay

Ughhhh. Imagine some LO coming in at some outrageous speed, and the awesome HoF does a mile away MA only to find out it only slowed down the LO and did little damage.

I'd rather it REDUCE damage.

DKnight556

Reducing the damage instead of taking the damage is a good idea. But the main thing would be how much damage the shields would reduce and how long would it last.